Home Pickling Strut

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I just got this book because I've had this sudden and unexplained desire to pickle:b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Plus canned food from the store is soaking in BPA.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    that's probably the creepiest photo I've seen in a long god damn time.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I just got this book because I've had this sudden and unexplained desire to pickle:b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Plus canned food from the store is soaking in BPA.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21that looks like a damn good idea. is there a recipe in there for kim chee?

• I have been wanting to do this too. Shit takes a lot of work to do right though. Let me know when you plan to do it we could combine efforts.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I just got this book because I've had this sudden and unexplained desire to pickle:b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Plus canned food from the store is soaking in BPA.b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21that looks like a damn good idea. is there a recipe in there for kim chee? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Yes. Also some Indian pickle recipes, but mostly regular American stuff. I'm trying to keep with simple recipes and perfect the sterilization process first. With certain foods, if you do this wrong, it could kill you.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21that's probably the creepiest photo I've seen in a long god damn time. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21For real! It looks like the next thing she's gonna pickle will be human body parts.

• LOL...i was thinking the same thing.b, 21still, if done in conjunction with a home garden space, pickling/canning can be so necessary to get through the winter and early spring.b, 21b, 21semi related: my peeps in philly have developed a relationship with a well known apple orchard just outside of town. every year they go with 10 people and glean the apples that hit the ground and take them home for free. last month they hauled off 50 cases of apples and hardly made a dent in the stuff that was on the ground. they then proceeded to press apples in a couple old fashioned cider presses to produce 100 gallons of cider. the next step is turning it into "hard cider" for the winter. last year's batch was absolutely phenomenal. beating winter heating costs is probably a lot easier when you have a hundred gallons of free hooch to keep you warm

• chasechase 767 Posts
    that show "good eats" w/ Alton Brown had a pickling episode explaining how to do the whole process at home, shit looked really time consuming and a little gross.. but the show was still very informative, maybe keep an eye out on food network maybe google it.

What about making your own tomato sauce? I gave that my first shot over the weekend, and the result was...meh. Not lousy, but not all that good, either. Somebody plaese to drop the science! If I can get down to making a decent sauce myself, then I can stop messing around with these lousy store-bought ones.

• I did my own pickles for a while.b, 21b, 21shit is easy. and delicious. put peperocinis and jalapenos in the brine.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21What about making your own tomato sauce? I gave that my first shot over the weekend, and the result was...meh. Not lousy, but not all that good, either. Somebody plaese to drop the science! If I can get down to making a decent sauce myself, then I can stop messing around with these lousy store-bought ones. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21are you kidding me?? what was the problem?b, 21b, 21basic basic sauce:b, 21chop an onion and saute till clearb, 21add one chopped garlic clove for another minuteb, 21(add some red hot pepper flakes if heat is desired)b, 21add a 26 oz. can of tomatoes (it can be sauced, crushed, diced, or simply peeled)b, 21add salt and simmer to achieve desired thickness (should be a touch watery)b, 21serve over a lb of any type of pastab, 21b, 21from there, you can add anything. veggies, meat, herbs. sugar is really not necessary. fresh tomatoes are desirable when they are ripe and in season...out of season supermarket tomatoes can often be dry, which wont offer enough juice. canned usually are canned with some salt and often w/basil leaf(a plus!). make the above sauce w/your desired ingredients, but the basic has much delicious beauty in its simplicity.b, 21b, 21invest in good parmesan cheese...skip that green bottle kraft shit if possible

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21What about making your own tomato sauce? I gave that my first shot over the weekend, and the result was...meh. Not lousy, but not all that good, either. Somebody plaese to drop the science! If I can get down to making a decent sauce myself, then I can stop messing around with these lousy store-bought ones. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21are you kidding me?? what was the problem?b, 21b, 21basic basic sauce:b, 21chop an onion and saute till clearb, 21add one chopped garlic clove for another minuteb, 21(add some red hot pepper flakes if heat is desired)b, 21add a 26 oz. can of tomatoes (it can be sauced, crushed, diced, or simply peeled)b, 21add salt and simmer to achieve desired thickness (should be a touch watery)b, 21serve over a lb of any type of pastab, 21b, 21from there, you can add anything. veggies, meat, herbs. sugar is really not necessary. fresh tomatoes are desirable when they are ripe and in season...out of season supermarket tomatoes can often be dry, which wont offer enough juice. canned usually are canned with some salt and often w/basil leaf(a plus!). make the above sauce w/your desired ingredients, but the basic has much delicious beauty in its simplicity.b, 21b, 21invest in good parmesan cheese...skip that green bottle kraft shit if possible b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21truth hath been spoken

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21What about making your own tomato sauce? I gave that my first shot over the weekend, and the result was...meh. Not lousy, but not all that good, either. Somebody plaese to drop the science! If I can get down to making a decent sauce myself, then I can stop messing around with these lousy store-bought ones. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21are you kidding me?? what was the problem?b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I think the problem was that I simmered it for too long and it became a little too thick. I think it may have simmered at too high a temp, too...my stove has this weird heat-creep thing where I'll turn the burner low and walk away, and when I come back, the flame is bigger. Next time, I'll just rock the slow cooker. I also didn't get the seasoning quite right, but I figured that was gonna be on some trial-and-error shit anyway.

• /font1
    b, 21b, 21are you kidding me?? what was the problem?b, 21b, 21basic basic sauce:b, 21chop an onion and saute till clearb, 21add one chopped garlic clove for another minuteb, 21(add some red hot pepper flakes if heat is desired)b, 21add a 26 oz. can of tomatoes (it can be sauced, crushed, diced, or simply peeled)b, 21add salt and simmer to achieve desired thickness (should be a touch watery)b, 21serve over a lb of any type of pastab, 21b, 21from there, you can add anything. veggies, meat, herbs. sugar is really not necessary. fresh tomatoes are desirable when they are ripe and in season...out of season supermarket tomatoes can often be dry, which wont offer enough juice. canned usually are canned with some salt and often w/basil leaf(a plus!). make the above sauce w/your desired ingredients, but the basic has much delicious beauty in its simplicity.b, 21b, 21invest in good parmesan cheese...skip that green bottle kraft shit if possible b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21You see, you'd figure its this easy, but its not. I'm convinced that there is no recipe for tomato sauce, because its never made the same way twice. My wife's grandfather (RIP) was the dope Italian chef and his red sauce was incredible. I asked him for the recipe and he said something similar to what you wrote above, yet my sauce was never close to as good as his. Well, he's an Italian chef you'd say,s o how can I compare. But not so, see after thorough questioning, there is more to it. Like one day I'm watching him make it and he's putting in tomato paste, condensed sauce, some red wine. I said, "Nonno (we were tight like that) you never told me to put this in the sauce." To which he replied "Oh no? Well, I don't always put all this in." Of course I had great respect for the man so I let it lie, but then another point of contention arose, cooking time. "How long do you cook it for Nonno?" "Until its ready of course." "But how do you know its ready?" "Madona, porca miseria!" Lets not even get into temperature (a little hot, very hot, not so hot, etc). And to this day I'm still messing around making the sauce, but I never get it the same twice, not like he did with the little bit of yellowed olive oil around the edges, not sharp, not bitter, not too much acid, the man was the master. RIP Nonno, we miss you.

• Homemade pickles and homemade olives img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21

• Don't forget to add a little sugar to the sauce.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Don't forget to add a little sugar to the sauce. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif" alt="" 21

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I steep blackberries in vinegar.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 "Madona, porca miseria!" b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21hahaa, thats some classic stuff right there. totally true....in the end you just get a feel for good taste and you can freestyle your way to a sauce that tastes proper. with the teens who i would teach cooking, i tried to give the foundation and explain that from there, you tweak to your liking...and the more you get familiar with the recipe and ingredients the more you can freestyle. but its good to have a starting point.b, 21b, 21i got my own personal rules. like saute mushrooms separately (so they dont get spongy with tomato sauce. always grate carrots in instead of shopping them in (they are a good sweetner for those demanding sugar).i also add sage at times (not very traditional). these things arent right, per se, just my style. b, 21b, 21IMO, everyone should have a basic red sauce in their repertoire...easy, tasty, inexpensive.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I steep blackberries in vinegar. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21interesting. what are the results?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Don't forget to add a little sugar to the sauce. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Dude, half tps is img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sn.gif" alt="" 21 old Italian grandmom related.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I steep blackberries in vinegar. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21interesting. what are the results? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21a great base for a vinigrette. raspberry work too.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I steep blackberries in vinegar. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21interesting. what are the results? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21a great base for a vinigrette. raspberry work too. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Never thought of that, sounds great, thanks for the tip.b, 21b, 21b, 21Another great thing to pickle are green beans, add a little allspice beads and they're even better.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I've only done it once before, but I think I need to refresh my escovitch pickling skills. Not only that, I'm impatient so I end up eating all the onions and cauliflower out of the jar and end up with only carrots.b, 21b, 21That and I once pickled lemons in heavy brine to make Chanh Muoi.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I steep blackberries in vinegar. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21interesting. what are the results? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21a great base for a vinigrette. raspberry work too. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Never thought of that, sounds great, thanks for the tip.b, 21b, 21b, 21Another great thing to pickle are green beans, add a little allspice beads and they're even better. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21dilly beans!!b, 21b, 21cabbage is pretty easy to turn into saurkraut as well

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21in the end you just get a feel for good taste and you can freestyle your way to a sauce that tastes proper b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah, that's what's up. The only really necessary ingredients are the tomatoes, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper, but I work with whatever else I have. I rock a LOT of garlic, and herb the living shit out of it. Red wine is always a good look. Kick some slow roasted pork loin up in there if you're serious. b, 21b, 21Sugar is for people who like pre-packaged macaroni and cheese.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Don't forget to add a little sugar to the sauce. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Dude, half tps is img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sn.gif" alt="" 21 old Italian grandmom related. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21similar to the firestorm raised by philly bakeries when partially hydrogenated oils were banned. they claimed that the legislation was f*cking with "traditional baking methods"b, 21b, 21no disrespect to your nonna, but sugar is hardly necessary or traditional (although there are many different regional cuisines). but to each his own. sugar will obviously make it sweeter, just like the classic mixing in of heavy cream will make it richer (pasticciata)

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Don't forget to add a little sugar to the sauce. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/NO.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Dude, half tps is img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sn.gif" alt="" 21 old Italian grandmom related. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21similar to the firestorm raised by philly bakeries when partially hydrogenated oils were banned. they claimed that the legislation was f*cking with "traditional baking methods"b, 21b, 21no disrespect to your nonna, but sugar is hardly necessary or traditional (although there are many different regional cuisines). but to each his own. sugar will obviously make it sweeter, just like the classic mixing in of heavy cream will make it richer (pasticciata) b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21There is no National Traditional Italian Cuisine. Its all Regional.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21in the end you just get a feel for good taste and you can freestyle your way to a sauce that tastes proper b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21. Kick some slow roasted pork loin up in there if you're serious. . b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21damn, ive been non dogmaticaly vegetarian for 14 years, but that sounded real good to my taste buds!b, 21b, 21i cooked for obama volunteers last week and i made a gigantic pit of black beans in a pressure cooker. in one batch i threw in a couple smoked turkey wings. when we opened the pot, there were just turkey bones...the meat had basically been disintegrated and dispersed throughout the beans. turkey infusion!! it looked delicious.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21give the foundation and explain that from there, you tweak to your liking...and the more you get familiar with the recipe and ingredients the more you can freestyle. but its good to have a starting point.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah, that's where I am with this--I just wanna get the sauce right, then I'll start messing with it a bit to customize it for my taste. What's odd is that I'm only just now starting to make sauce. Pasta is probably the biggest staple of my diet and has been for years, yet this weekend is the first time I've ever tried to make my own sauce. I'm sort of at a loss to explain that.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21meat had basically been disintegrated and dispersed throughout the beans. turkey infusion!! it looked delicious. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21i'm sure it was. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21