My New Job (Peru-Related)

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
So I just got hired to do translation and copywriting for a company based in Lima. I start in August and I'll be working in downtown SF (no more 40-minute-drive to work) and enjoying manny other perquisites, one of which is a week of training in Peru in early September.Any Strutters been there? Fun stuff to do after a day of work? Record stores? Any Peruvian raros that I should look out for? I'll google it, but what's the weather like in September?Gracias.

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    that's dope as hell man...congrats!

• is this a new job besides or instead of your other "new" job?

(and... congrats of course!)

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Hola! I think this one is "el mas raro" off Peru:

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=2593687672

Felicitaciones!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Fun stuff to do after a day of work?

• Make sure to visit Lake TITICACA[/b]...

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    I was there 3 years ago. Had a blast. I had a friend there to show me around so that helped big-time. Lima would have been a bit daunting otherwise.

Records: tried to arrange via Internet with people pre-trip for vinyl buying but they all flaked out on me once I was there. Didn't find and rekkids, but didn't really look too hard. Asked around a little bit and of course got sent to CD shops...

Weather: I was there in Oct. and it was warm and pleasant. Lima has a weird atmospheric condition that makes it kinda grey all the time - even when it's warm. Apparently it's not pollution just some kinda natural occurence.

Lima Centro is interesting (old colonial bldgs), had some good food in Chinatown, went to the beach by Miraflores, the catacombs in Catedral De San Francisco are worth seeing with thousands of skulls and bones piled up (people wanted to be buried under the church).

Spent about a week in Lima, the rest of the time I was in other parts of Peru.

Food: Ceviche was excellent, Anticuchos too (skewered bbqed cow heart chunks - no vegan).

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

May as well take a bit of the downtown SF flavor with you to the Peruvian home office, right?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    is this a new job besides or instead of your other "new" job?

(and... congrats of course!)

A new new job to replace the one I started four months ago. And thanks!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

May as well take a bit of the downtown SF flavor with you to the Peruvian home office, right?

FRANK!!!!![/b]

congratulations there rossi. ive never been to peru but my folks are going in september as well. my mom was telling me theyre going to machu pichu and i was like "damn, you guys are gonna hike that shit?" and she's like "hell no, there's a hotel a mile from the top. we're taking a bus and then walking a few steps.

and in related news, the jons down the street sells inca gold which is like the tastiest soda ever.

yeah, anyways, GOOD FOR YOU HOGG!

Frank digs four-turntable sets:

Frank digs four-turntable sets:

this better not be photoshopped

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Is that minna st gallery?

God I hate that place

this better not be photoshopped

Nope. And neither is this:

Note KingMoist gettin' all giggly on the left-hand side. He was thinking, "This guy spell wurse than I do!"

holy moly. you guys are my new heros.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    So I just got hired to do translation and copywriting for a company based in Lima. I start in August and I'll be working in downtown SF (no more 40-minute-drive to work) and enjoying manny other perquisites, one of which is a week of training in Peru in early September.

congratulations ross! that's fresh you get to go to peru 'on business'. i've always wanted to say that. 'yeah i'm going to barcelona...on business.'

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Congrats,i didn't realize you spoke so many lauguages.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    congrats on the job, here's a Peruvian goodie of the legal kind

and if you find a spare, please send my way.

good luck

• ryanryan 334 Posts

• See the ancient unexplained nazca lines, so old that the natives don't even know where they came from

• Options
    I have two friends who are brothers who are from there. One of them got deported maybe 8 years ago, but we got him back into the country 2 years later on the sneak tip. Seems like a nice place.

Oh, and my friend Mike went there once.

Congratulations on the new job!

• I was in Lima 2003, and there are a few spots to dig. Make sure you check out the two Galerias of vinyl sellers, basically common in South America all over, where a bunch of dealers converge in a small stall type arrangement. They're really close to each other. However, these dealers will try to gouge you, and they are perhaps the worst of S. American graders I have seen (yes, worse than Brazil!) There's also a small record shop (check phone listings) in the end of town opposite Miraflores (can't remember what it's called) that has tons of 45s - I picked up a Jorge Ben and a Peruvian Fela press there... a portable would be crucial here. I asked him for Black Sugar and he said "otro dias..." On the cultural tip, the Museum in the centre screens great rep films on the weekend...

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Make sure to visit Lake TITICACA[/b]...

The funny thing is that it was some years after travelling to said lake that I realised just how damn funny it is. Man, I love the incas and their cute little guinea pigs.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    There is another Peruvian delicacy that I didn't try called 'Cuy'. It's a large guinea pig stuffed with cheese.

Capybara?

Fuck it. I'll try one.

• There is another Peruvian delicacy that I didn't try called 'Cuy'. It's a large guinea pig stuffed with cheese.

Sounds like a hairy chili relleno