Thank You Veterans

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
A heartfelt thanks to all of the citizens who have put on a uniform and done what others couldn't/wouldn't do with intentions of upholding the ideals of our country.b, 21b, 21I salute those of you still living and will give a moment of silence for those who are not.

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21A heartfelt thanks to all of the citizens who have put on a uniform and done what others couldn't/wouldn't do with intentions of upholding the ideals of our country[/b].b, 21b, 21I salute those of you still living and will give a moment of silence for those who are not. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21You so slimy.b, 21b, 21b, 21A moment of silence for all those who got maimed for a lie. Died for a lie. Lost their marriage, kids, income for a lie.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    and not just your country but all those around the world who did likewiseb, 21b, 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21I salute those of you still living and will give a moment of silence for those who are not. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21A heartfelt thanks to all of the citizens who have put on a uniform and done what others couldn't/wouldn't do with intentions of upholding the ideals of our country.b, 21b, 21I salute those of you still living and will give a moment of silence for those who are not. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Joseph Baker, 3584th Mechanized Infantry Division, US Army. b, 21b, 21WW2, D-Day Plus One, Omaha Beach, European Theatreb, 21b, 21March 21st, 1914 - August 10th, 1999b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21My mother and my grandfather. b, 21b, 21b, 21Word up.b, 21b, 21Miss you pop-pop.b, 21b, 21h, 21

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    indeed, thanks to all who have servedb, 21b, 21my grandfather - US Army Air Corps - he was at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th 1941 - served as a flight engineer thru VJ Day in the Pacific Theatre - Purple Heart after being shot by a sniperb, 21b, 21my great grandfather - joined the US Marines to get his citizenship after immigrating to the US from Hungaryb, 21b, 21my father - US Army 1950-1953 - drafted to serve in Korea despite being deaf - hated every minute of it

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21A heartfelt thanks to all of the citizens who have put on a uniform and done what others couldn't/wouldn't do with intentions of upholding the ideals of our country[/b].b, 21b, 21I salute those of you still living and will give a moment of silence for those who are not. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21You so slimy.b, 21b, 21b, 21A moment of silence for all those who got maimed for a lie. Died for a lie. Lost their marriage, kids, income for a lie. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/f-u.gif" alt="" 21

• Yes, thank you to all the veteranos out there. Special recognition to soulstrut's own Gary and Mike B.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21A heartfelt thanks to all of the citizens who have put on a uniform and done what others couldn't/wouldn't do with intentions of upholding the ideals of our country.b, 21b, 21I salute those of you still living and will give a moment of silence for those who are not. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21We will never understand the depth of their sacrifice.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21A heartfelt thanks to all of the citizens who have put on a uniform and done what others couldn't/wouldn't do with intentions of upholding the ideals of our country[/b].b, 21b, 21I salute those of you still living and will give a moment of silence for those who are not. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21You so slimy.b, 21b, 21b, 21A moment of silence for all those who got maimed for a lie. Died for a lie. Lost their marriage, kids, income for a lie. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/f-u.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Seriously, what the F*ck is wrong with you?b, 21b, 21Not every war was a "lie", regardless of what your political views may be.b, 21b, 21This is a day to honor those veterans who have served over the last 200+ years.b, 21b, 21You're inability to see and appreciate this without casting out political rhetoric is disgusting.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Special recognition to soulstrut's own Gary and Mike B. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Rock you classy geezer... you see my line about Veterans Day in another thread. Make some clever reverse "love it or leave it" reference to my family (the reason I am here and members of which have become great non-citizen Americans by serving in the US Army or teaching at Columbia) and then get the idea to start a Veterans Appreciation thread. Soooooo classy.b, 21b, 21Well, there aren't many veterans left from the "good" wars.... But I know, today is about paying lip service and not insulting slaughtered French soldiers for one day of the year.b, 21b, 21Anyway, I'll pass your good wishes on to my brother who was in the 3rd Arm Cav but could still get deported if he fucks up on his taxes or something. Yeah they lost his citizenship app, never paid him his GI Bill, all that good stuff.b, 21b, 21But you are the great American because of your "support the troops" patriotism. I was supporting the troops when I protested the invasion of Afghanistan nearly 7 years ago. What did you do? You Voted for Bush in 04. Maybe you also sent some canned goods or upgraded armor protection? You f*cking tool.b, 21b, 21Glad your generation is becoming irrelevant. Just remember who's going to be changing your diaper in a few years... it could be a community activist or some other lefty. Sure as hell won't be a "true American patriot."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21A heartfelt thanks to all of the citizens who have put on a uniform and done what others couldn't/wouldn't do with intentions of upholding the ideals of our country.b, 21b, 21I salute those of you still living and will give a moment of silence for those who are not. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21We will never understand the depth of their sacrifice. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Yes.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Rock you classy geezer... you see my line about Veterans Day in another thread. Make some clever reverse "love it or leave it" reference to my family (the reason I am here and members of which have become great non-citizen Americans by serving in the US Army or teaching at Columbia) and then get the idea to start a Veterans Appreciation thread. Soooooo classy.b, 21b, 21Well, there aren't many veterans left from the "good" wars.... But I know, today is about paying lip service and not insulting slaughtered French soldiers for one day of the year.b, 21b, 21Anyway, I'll pass your good wishes on to my brother who was in the 3rd Arm Cav but could still get deported if he fucks up on his taxes or something. Yeah they lost his citizenship app, never paid him his GI Bill, all that good stuff.b, 21b, 21But you are the great American because of your "support the troops" patriotism. I was supporting the troops when I protested the invasion of Afghanistan nearly 7 years ago. What did you do? You Voted for Bush in 04. Maybe you also sent some canned goods or upgraded armor protection? You f*cking tool.b, 21b, 21Glad your generation is becoming irrelevant. Just remember who's going to be changing your diaper in a few years... it could be a community activist or some other lefty. Sure as hell won't be a "true American patriot." b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Amazing how much you assume to know about me, of which very little is true.b, 21b, 211) I started this thread because today is VETERANS DAY you wanker.b, 21b, 212) Glad to see your brother wasn't one of those Vet's who's lives were ruined by their service. My thanks go out to him along with millions of others including my Dad, Grandfather and Uncles.b, 21b, 213)I've certainly never claimed to be a "great" American, especially compared to those who we are honoring today, I'm a mere citizen who has benefitted from their service.b, 21b, 214) I didn't vote for Bush in '04b, 21b, 215) If I don't pay my taxes I can go to jail which may actually be worse than being deported?b, 21b, 21And for the benefit of anyone who want's to see the exchange you referenced above here it is....b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21But you know, you can't force democracy on a people, they have to really want it. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21You can no longer force folks to move here either...they have to really want to. b, 21b, 21h, 21

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21A heartfelt thanks to all of the citizens who have put on a uniform and done what others couldn't/wouldn't do with intentions of upholding the ideals of our country.b, 21b, 21I salute those of you still living and will give a moment of silence for those who are not. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21We will never understand the depth of their sacrifice. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Yes. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Agreed. this.thread.close('me')

• i'm feeling how two american guys are calling each other "wanker" and "geezer" in a veteran's thread.b, 21b, 21init.

• RIP Jeff Nicklinb, 21b, 21(Can't we all just get along)

• Can't really agree with WARS, but I respect the SOLDIERS 200%. Thanks, every last one of you.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I just woke up from a Veterans Nap.b, 21b, 21Its what I would call the "proper" way to celebrate veterans day.b, 21b, 21b, 21now gimme some raer, batches.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Respect and thank you to all who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

• /font1

• This was in a local paper a few years ago. It's about my father's side of the family.b, 21b, 21b1Roots of patriotism run deep in Plante family/b1 b, 21b, 21He lied about his age to join the Navy at the age of 15 and would serve in two years with the Navy in World War II.b, 21b, 21Five other Plantes of that generation saw military service. It's a family tradition that dates back to the Franco-Prussian War in Europe and forward to the Vietnam War.b, 21b, 21After his two years in the Navy, Edward embarked on a career in the Army that would span 24 years. He retired in 1970 with the rank of first sergeant after service that included Korea, Lebanon and the Dominican Republic. Edward died in 1985.b, 21b, 21Edward's son, Edward Jr., served two tours in the Army with the 101st Airborne Division. He was killed in a traffic accident near his base in Tennessee in 1972.b, 21b, 21Like his brother, Charles forged his birth certificate to join the Army National Guard at the age of 16 in 1934. His unit, the 27th Infantry, was federalized in 1940. He served in the Pacific Theater during World War II and reached the rank of sergeant. He was given a medical discharge in 1945 after he was injured in a truck accident back in the States.b, 21b, 21After leaving the service, he worked as a machinist, first for Streck's in Watervliet, and later at Allegany Ludlum Steel in Watervliet. He died in 2000.b, 21b, 21Charles's son, George Sr., served two years of active duty and 25 years in the Navy Reserve. He retired at the rank of lieutenant commander. The grandson of Charles, George Jr., is the head of the composing room at The Record. b, 21b, 21George Sr. and two of his brothers, Peter and Paul, all joined the National Guard in 1968. Peter attendee Siena College on an ROTC scholarship and in four years of active duty saw service in Korea and Vietnam. Paul served two years in the Army in was twice wounded in Vietnam. He used his G.I. Bill to earn bachelor's and master's degrees at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.b, 21b, 21The oldest of the World War II group, Joseph, served as a waist gunner in the Army Air Corps, first in North Africa and later Italy. It was a daring and fatalistic choice of service. George Plante Sr., a nephew, recounts Joseph's reasoning' "When he was a kid there were all these World War I vets in the neighborhood missing and arm or missing a leg or gassed. He'd say: 'If I'm in a plane and got shot down, I'm dead. I don't want to be maimed.'"b, 21b, 21Joseph returned to a long career as a route deliveryman for Freihofer's Bakery. Working out of the barns in Lansingburgh, he drove Freihofer's last horse-drawn delivery wagon in Green Island. Two of his sons served in the military.b, 21b, 21George T. was drafted into the Marines in 1944 and served on the fleet flagship in the Mediterranean. After the war he served in Greece and Italy. He attended Siena College on the GI Bill of Rights and later retired as a general superintendent at Altech Steel in Watervliet, the successor to Allegany Ludlum Steel.b, 21b, 21Margaret, who still lives in Brunswick, enlisted in the Woman's Army Corps. After World War II she served with the American occupation forces in Austria. She retired in 1965 after 22 years of service, much of it in personnel administration, at the top rank for warrant officers, CWO4. In civilian life, she worked as an office manager for businesses in Center Brunswick.b, 21b, 21Richard joined the Army in 1946 as a chaplain's assistant and served in Italy in the army of occupation. He later joined the seminary and was ordained a Catholic priest in 1953. He served in a diocese in Rapid City, S.D.b, 21b, 21George Sr., son of Charles, is the unofficial family military historian. His paternal great grandfather, Benjamin Saddier, was a French ski trooper who fought in the Franco-Prussian War before settling in Cohoes.b, 21b, 21On his mother's side, great-great-grandfather John Biitner from Bavaria in Germany was a farmer in Colonie when he enlisted in the Union Army in 1864. He was part of General Sherman's "March to the Sea," and died of yellow fever in 1865 in Savannah, Ga.