Bailing out the auto industry

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
As a native born Michigoanian, I definitely feel for the calamitous decline of the manufacturing and auto industries there since the 1960s but seriously - how long have we been keeping the American auto industry afloat? I'd probably be a whole lot more sympathetic if I actually thought American cars were worth the trouble but damn man. b, 21b, 21Discuss.

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    bump

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    my bad - I don't know what happened. Looks like it's one of those "this form is no longer valid" burps.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Dont know much about the US situation, but our govt just announced a $3 billion bailout of Australian car manufactuirers and they are trying to get Toyota, Ford etc to commit to staying in Australia for 10 years in exchange for the bailout... and the car dealers are suffering hard cus of the financial crisis, my flatmate works for one car dealer which has sacked about 100 staff already... so locally even if they keep making cars no one will be buying them cause most people rely on credit to buy new cars...b, 21b, 21Some unions are worried that Obama will give the US auto industry too much subsidys and then make the Australia operations look redundant and the car plants will close here and go to the US... but I think the Asian market will always dominate cause of cheaper manufacturing.b, 21b, 21On the side note Holden annonced a deal where if you buy a new car they guarantee you petrol at 99 cents a litre for the next 2 years (200,000km limit). Petrol is currently around $1.40/50 a litre. I dont know anyone thats bought a new Holden, but it sounds like a decent marketing plan.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Cars are antiquated. b, 21b, 21Airlines are next.b, 21b, 21Drawbacks to rapid growth are that change has to be well-tailored, and fitted often or else it leads to serious outmoding in economic infrastructures.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    pretty funny when "free market!!!" conflicts with united states interests and we're back on the road to serfdom ... its almost as if ... free market capitalism isnt really working

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Soon my congressional Rep Earl Blumenauer is going to be appointed Sec Of Transportation. b, 21b, 21When this happens all private cars/trucks will be confiscated. b, 21b, 21There will be a $500.00 tax rebate if you go buy a bike. b, 21b, 21Light rail and buses will be everywhere. b, 21b, 21I suggest Ford start working on ways to compete with Schwinn.

• if they can incentiveyes new dope ass space cars that run on garbage, then hell yeah. if we could get a gov sponsored X-prize for alt fuels, then it would certainly kill 2 birds w/ one stone: reduce need on foreign oil and increase the number of high-tech jobs. who knows, maybe we'll start exporting cars again!b, 21b, 21if china is gonna drop nearly $600bill to build infrastructure and hightech frameworks for development, we should also spend our $700bill on something more farsighted than just salvaging mortgage sh!theads.

• i wish you werent joking

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    F*ck that I drive a Caddy, USA! USA! USA!

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21As a native born Michigoanian, I definitely feel for the calamitous decline of the manufacturing and auto industries there since the 1960s but seriously - how long have we been keeping the American auto industry afloat? I'd probably be a whole lot more sympathetic if I actually thought American cars were worth the trouble but damn man. b, 21b, 21Discuss. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Manufacturing is central to security and national defense. b, 21b, 21With out steel, car/truck, airplane, clothing... industries we will be unable to defend ourselves in case of a major war. b, 21b, 21When we entered WWII we didn't have modern weaponry, the Pacific Fleet had just been destroyed. But because we had a manufacturing infrastructure we were able to ramp up war time production of boots, uniforms, tanks, bombers and nuclear bombs. (Alright we really didn't have an infrastructure for nuclear bombs so we had to go out and snatch up some Bethes and Tellers.)b, 21b, 21Under trade agreements made under Regean/Bush/Clinton we have been forced to send manufacturing overseas. American built Chevy trucks are filled with parts manufactured in China and Mexico. b, 21b, 21But that is not your question. I am just ranting and raving. b, 21b, 21Here is the answer. Bailouts have to be highly specific.b, 21b, 21I would support financing infrastructure and engineering to build highly fuel efficient/alternative fuel cars. b, 21b, 21These cars would have to be fully built in the USA. b, 21They would have to be placed in high unemployment locals like Flint MI.b, 21They would have to pay a family wage. b, 21They could not move or close the plants until they have paid the government back with interest. b, 21The government could then subsidize the cost of the cars so they would be competitive with cheaply made Korean/Mexican/Chinese/Indian/Tennessee made cars. b, 21b, 21If the car companies just want a hand out so they can move manufacturing overseas, as other industries have done with their handouts, then fuskem.

• cosine

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Didnt we bail out Chrylser or GM back in the 80's?b, 21Fat lotta good that did...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Soon my congressional Rep Earl Blumenauer is going to be appointed Sec Of Transportation. b, 21b, 21When this happens all private cars/trucks will be confiscated. b, 21b, 21There will be a $500.00 tax rebate if you go buy a bike. b, 21b, 21Light rail and buses will be everywhere. b, 21b, 21I suggest Ford start working on ways to compete with Schwinn. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21You will be very disappointed in the upcoming 4 years.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Keep in mind, at least with GM, their problems seem to stem more from GMAC/ResCap than their Auto line. So, if the US Gov't is bailing out banks and other financial institutions, I understand why at least in GM's case, they feel like a bail out should be coming their way.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Soon my congressional Rep Earl Blumenauer is going to be appointed Sec Of Transportation. b, 21b, 21When this happens all private cars/trucks will be confiscated. b, 21b, 21There will be a $500.00 tax rebate if you go buy a bike. b, 21b, 21Light rail and buses will be everywhere. b, 21b, 21I suggest Ford start working on ways to compete with Schwinn. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21You will be very disappointed in the upcoming 4 years. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I'm saying. Is D*n serious about all that? This is like the full withdrawal of troops from Iraq that will supposedly begin upon Obama's inauguration.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21F*ck that I drive a Caddy, USA! USA! USA! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Seriously! Maybe if public transportation was more viable in more places, more people would be able to drive for pleasure (as opposed to necessity), gas would be less because it would not be in such demand. I am for public transport, expanding bike lanes/accessibility, and alternative fuels, but F*ck anyone who wants to take away my car. That said, GM needs to figure out how they are going to get out of this mess and produce something Americans simply can't live without. That's the American Way.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 That said, GM needs to figure out how they are going to get out of this mess and produce something Americans simply can't live without. That's the American Way. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Agreed. Making a better mousetrap has typically been the best way to remedy your business woes. I am afraid that US auto missed that boat long ago.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Soon my congressional Rep Earl Blumenauer is going to be appointed Sec Of Transportation. b, 21b, 21When this happens all private cars/trucks will be confiscated. b, 21b, 21There will be a $500.00 tax rebate if you go buy a bike. b, 21b, 21Light rail and buses will be everywhere. b, 21b, 21I suggest Ford start working on ways to compete with Schwinn. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21You will be very disappointed in the upcoming 4 years. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I'm saying. Is D*n serious about all that? This is like the full withdrawal of troops from Iraq that will supposedly begin upon Obama's inauguration. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Sometimes I write things that amuse me. I forget to use the little winky face icon to let you guys know I'm just having fun. b, 21b, 21Let me break it down for you.b, 211) It is true that Rep Blumenauer is at the top of the list for SoT.b, 212) He is a bike and rail advocate. b, 213) I made up that part about the confiscating stuff.b, 214) I made up that part about rebates.b, 215) I made up that part about Ford competing with Schwinn. (It's funny because Blumenauer would never ride a Schwinn.)b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Cars are antiquated. b, 21b, 21Airlines are next. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 That said, GM needs to figure out how they are going to get out of this mess and produce something Americans simply can't live without. That's the American Way. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21So, something that's cheap but still gives the illusions of status?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 That said, GM needs to figure out how they are going to get out of this mess and produce something Americans simply can't live without. That's the American Way. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21So, something that's cheap but still gives the illusions of status? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I think Canal St. in Manhattan has the market cornered on that

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    the day they make cars that run on water is A. the day the last drop of oil is sold and B the day they start charging and owning all the water supplies... till then it5s hybrid crapology, and 'advanced fuels' etc Notice how all the big car and oil companies have invested millions in prmoting their 'greener' side yet havent produced any new grand technology.b, 21b, 21In Australia the govt is trying to force the car companys to 'go green' as part fo the bail out, but by that they mean more fuel effiecency and better lpg gas cars (cus we got shitloads of gas to sell still)... and thats their 10 year plan.... its a joke....b, 21b, 21somone should ressurect Tesla to sort out this mess!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Speaking of Tesla, I want oneb, 21

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 That said, GM needs to figure out how they are going to get out of this mess and produce something Americans simply can't live without. That's the American Way. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21So, something that's cheap but still gives the illusions of status? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21There should be a Deathmatch between Buick and Pontiac design teams.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Didnt we bail out Chrylser or GM back in the 80's?b, 21Fat lotta good that did... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Exactly.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Didnt we bail out Chrylser or GM back in the 80's?b, 21Fat lotta good that did... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Exactly. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21On the upside Chrysler returned to profitability and paid of the loans with interest.b, 21b, 21On the down side they used the money to bust unions, close plants and reopen in cheaper job markets. b, 21b, 21They were so pleased with themselves they gave the execs huge bonus and exec salaries soared. b, 21b, 21A new bailout should keep exec compensation at a fair percentage of the lowest paid employee. Something between 15x and 100x.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    All bailouts should include profit sharing with the American taxpayer from here on out. b, 21b, 21Water cars sound nice, but water is scarce and people are many, so it's not rely a viable long term alt fuel. b, 21Algae, fusion (the dream), animal sluice, microbial fuels or nuclear are the future, or an intensive grab bag of energy sources in combination.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21All bailouts should include profit sharing with the American taxpayer from here on out. b, 21b, 21Water cars sound nice, but water is scarce and people are many, so it's not rely a viable long term alt fuel. b, 21Algae, fusion (the dream), animal sluice, microbial fuels or nuclear are the future, or an intensive grab bag of energy sources in combination. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Oil is "animal sluice".

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21All bailouts should include profit sharing with the American taxpayer from here on out. b, 21b, 21Water cars sound nice, but water is scarce and people are many, so it's not rely a viable long term alt fuel. b, 21Algae, fusion (the dream), animal sluice, microbial fuels or nuclear are the future, or an intensive grab bag of energy sources in combination. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Oil is "animal sluice". b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Nah nah, I know, but I'm talking about some guy creating fuel out of animal "extras" from butchering plants, creating some kinda methanol.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Michigoanian, b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Michigander or Michiganianb, 21b, 21CHOOSE!b, 21b, 21Not to take this off track, but what area of the mitten did you previously represent?