what's been on the turntable lately?

2»

Comments

• Such a killer record. Peru-T is my jam.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Was this the one with the boss cover? Kirk sitting with some kind of home-made jazz-pipe?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The same one and I wish I could but I am so not set-up for that kind of thing - apologies. I wish I could share it!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Been in a jazz fusion mode lately.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

• On my turntables recently: 

menahan street band lp

vashti bunyan - some things just stick in your mind 

john holt - presenting the fabulous john holt lp (w/ "i'm the one to blame")

the youngbloods - ride the wind

mark murphy - rah!

wee - you can feel my aeroplane (asterisk 2lp re)

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Currently: Band of Thieves

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Grandmaster Caz and Whipper Whip - To All The Party People
    The Burnin' Rain - Ritual Medicine Show
    The Big Mack Numero Comp
    Grandmaster Caz - You Need Stiches: The Tuff City Sessions (mainly for the ridiculous cut "Need To Know The Flavor" 
    The Virgins - S/T7"s:
    Jerry Washington - Let Me Get Close To You
    Little Richard - Baby Don't You Tear My Clothes
    Mclusky - Alan Is A Cowboy Killer
    Mclusky - Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues

• such a great thread.

• These Lps are currenty in rotation.

• lots of random stuff:

Dread Zeppelin - Your Time Is Gonna Come12" with the huge psychedelic foldout poster

U2: The Fly & Mysterious Ways 12"s

Lenny Kravitz - Again stankonia rmx

Beres Hammond - Reggae Soul

a grip of sidewalk score dancehall 12"s: Bunny General, Dennis Brown, Freddie McGregor, General B, General Degree, Louie Culture, Osbourne Tafe, SanchezMongo Santamaria - Soul Bag & Stone Soul

• while I was getting my oil changed i went next door to a thift spot and I found "Raze: break for love". So cheesy, but damn I like it. What's the history of this record?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21what's up with this record?b, 21b, 21i actually have a bluegrass 45 on this same label (Starr Records)

• I forgot to mention I grabbed this LP

So far I like 3 songs on the first side alone. American folks doing "sergio mendes" with some "singers unlimited" steez popin'.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Different cover but this album. One thing that jazz will always have on rock -- all-star teams. Not a whole lot f*cking with this line-up.b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21An all-time fave, that one. If I'm ever asked to recommend a few starter records for someone who's getting into jazz for the first time, this is always on the list.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21while I was getting my oil changed i went next door to a thift spot and I found "Raze: break for love". So cheesy, but damn I like it. What's the history of this record? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Just one of those late 80's rave era tunes that crossed over to the pop charts in the UK, and became a bit of a club classic over here in the process. Pretty sure it was Vaughan Mason (of Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll) who was behind it, so it probably came out of NJ rather than Chicago or NYC. There was a female answer record to it by Razette called Ready 4 Love, which I used to have at one point. I never played it out much, but I seem to remember one of the dubs being pretty useful.b, 21b, 21/object1

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21what's up with this record?b, 21b, 21i actually have a bluegrass 45 on this same label (Starr Records) b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21HEADSTONE (Columbus, OH)b, 21b, 21 "Still Looking" 1974 (Starr slp-1056) b, 21 "Still Looking" 1988 (Starr) [bootleg]b, 21 -- this is a very close counterfeit. The color of the carton inside the cover is clear gray on the original and more brownish on the reissue. The label of the original is slightly clearer and has visible circular lines.b, 21 "Still Looking" 1997 (CD Anthology, Italy)b, 21b, 21 The opening seven minute title track is a killer journey through local underground guitar psych, and there's plenty more good stuff aboard including some more lyrical moves. Underrated LP, solid all through, better than many $1000 LPs. Great generic sleeve of eagle "still looking". The band also had three non-LP 45s which are pretty good. [PL]b, 21 ~~~b, 21 Ohio was full of obscure hard rock bands in the 70s, and it???s surprising how many of their self-released albums have stood the test of time. Despite relatively simple songs, this album has real power. The long title track is the highlight, but the rest of the album comes close to the standard. The songs carry on a bit too long, but the solid guitar/organ sound is backed up by an energetic rhythm section and the overall feel of this album is strong, and gets better with repeated listens. They don???t seem like they were particularly talented, but they made the most of what they had. [AM]b, 21b, 21h, 21

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21while I was getting my oil changedb, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Oh, word?b, 21b, 21i1It's time to set yo' clock back bout as long as you canb, 21I stop daylight--it's Ludacris the maintenance manb, 21Get your oil changed, I check fluids and transmissionb, 21You one minute FOOLS, you wonder why y'all missin'[/i]b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21(delicious)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Heh. Y'know, I have to admit I liked that Sidney Youngblood record for a bit, until it became hideously played-out. It kinda chimed in with the optimistic sentiment of the times back then; that Second Summer Of Love period when people discovered ecstasy in a big way, and the clubs were full of football hooligans who, instead of starting fights, were hugging one another and engaging in mass singalongs to the chorus.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    b, 21 b, 21songs been in my head for like three daysb, 21b, 21 b, 21I forgot "save me" by Nina Simone was on here img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sn.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21also this old comp. I had for awhile called Break Down funk soul groove & grind vol. 2 has some freddie Henchi - funky to the bone !b, 21b, 21also strictly breaks volume 3... I needed to hear some Diana Ross...I want the world to know...gotta let it show....

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Did I mention I like these threads...from last nightb, 21b, 21 b, 21 b, 21Phase n' Rhythm - swollen pockets/hook n sling 12" b, 21 b, 21tim maia white label img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ss.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21 b, 21 b, 21 b, 21 some mystery joe cuba recordb, 21 b, 21 b, 21 b, 21