Your favourite Election Night moments?

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
This was a particularly good one. Even though he's not so healthy these days, and getting old, that grouchy-ass muhfuh Gore Vidal is still not to be fucked with.b,121b,121object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

Comments

• When they projected VA going blue.

• Also, Jesse Jackson and John Lewis.

• Seriously, it was walking with my kid to the voting booth. I asked if she could come in with me and the guy outside the box says, "You take her in with you, tonight we're making history." She saw me recording my votes and then we pulled the lever together, it was the best.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Lots of them, but two of my funnier ones:b,121b,121b, 21b,121I was watching the Jumbotron downtown and they were panning cameras around to different groups of people in the crowd. Right as they dissolved to this one shot of some people, this one guy suddenly jerks his head to one side like he heard something interesting to his right. But he basically side-headbutted this other dude standing right behind him. b,121b,121The shot widened to show more people around them, but these two guys were holding their heads like "owwwwwwwww." b,121b,121Number three was during Obama's speech. When he said "Senator McCain fought long and hard..." this woman in the crowd yelled out with impeccable timing, "and dirty!"

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Very surreal night. I spent the day in the press bus that brought up the tail of Obama's expanding motorcade -- as he inched toward the presidency, more cars, staff and security was added. By the end of the night, after he had won, and the motorcade drove him back south down Lake Shore Drive to his home Kenwood, it was at least a city block long. b, 21b, 21But before that, he hit up different spots all around the city: a crowd formed at a gym on the West Side, where Obama played hoops like he always does on election days. A bigger crowd lined all the streets of his neighborhood chanting his name as he went back downtown, near his campaign headquarters, hours from being elected.b,121b,121The largest police and arms force I've seen in the United States greeted him under the Hyatt Regency hotel. Joe Biden's entire large family was there, with his beautiful daughters and/or nieces dancing quietly in the dirt ground as the AP called the election and all the staffers found out via their Blackberries and NPR coming in scratchy on the press bus. Folks who have slept two or three hours nightly for weeks hugged with members of the press, who were actively rooting for Obama. b,121b,121They closed a small garage while Biden and Obama got into the separate SUVs shortly after McCain conceded, so we didn't actually see him as soon as he was President Elect, but the best part was his first motorcade in that role. Lake Shore Drive was entirely shut down and as we neared what supposedly was the biggest crowd of yet, they saw his motorcade and roared. But in the actual rally, it felt crazy -- he went right up on stage, and started talking and it somehow felt smaller than I imaged, in the sense that there was a closeness to the candidate and the people standing feet away in the grass. Folks like Patrick Fitzgerald and Oprah were feet away and everyone was on the same level, and Obama was all business. His speech was short and sweet -- I timed it on my digital recorder at about 16 minutes, 40 seconds. The applause seemed almost muted -- folks were overjoyed and in shock. It still hasn't quite sunk in, but it's beautiful.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121It still hasn't quite sunk in, but it's beautiful. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    When they showed jesse jackson crying and a certain somebody I know said "it should have been me!"b,121b,121b,121that was kind of hilarious. b,121b,121b,121But seriously....b,121b,121My wife parents just recently because U.S. Citizens after living her for 30+ years.b,121b,121Yesterday her dad stood in line in the rain to vote for the first time. there was already a long line of white people waiting to vote before the polls opened when a poll worker spotted her dad and asked his name. And for some reason they said "you get to vote first" and let him be the first voter. I don't really know why they did it, but he was pretty excited.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121When they showed jesse jackson crying and a certain somebody I know said "it should have been me!"b,121 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121im glad it wasnt, to be truthfulb,121b,121jesse is too much of a crank, and while i wouldnt mind having him along for the ride, i wouldnt want him taking the wheel

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    honestly, for all the high points one of the most memorable and emblematic moments of last night was the gathering at McCain's HQ. the crowd's ferocious booing at the very mention of Obama's name -- in a humble and respectful context, no less -- says a lot.b,121b,121IMO, McCain was visably dismayed by these reactions, and may have had an epiphany about just how low his campaign was aiming in the final days to reach what his people may have hoped was a "silent majority" of small-minded people living in bigotry and fear. People with that mentality are going to have a hard 4-8 years -- and, I hope, will spend that time learning and growing.

• - killer dinner with friendsb,121- colbert & stewart indecision 08 coverage on comedy central was hystericalb,121- heading to a crowded bar just in time for obama's speechb,121- hugging tearing up strangers after speech and tearing upb,121- people celebrating in the streets and cars honking nonstop

• *canvassing with three teens in the roughest part of town and having young kids come up to us at every corner asking if we had buttonsb,121*seeing huge turnouts at the mot dilapidated, rundown polling stationsb,121*seeing my mom curse out a campaign office manager who turned away three young bols who were trying to come in to the crowded office just to get their grub on. he pointed to a poster of obama and told my 70 year old ma "lets focus on helping him right now" and my mom was like "F*ck HIM! stop turning kids away!"b, 21*helping a 98 year old woman up the steps of the polling station at 8pm. she was in her nightgown and slippers and the coat of the young muslim obama volunteer who raced to her house to pick her up before polls closed. everyone was crying.b,121*being in the baltimore ave office when pole people came in reading off the machine totals....175 obama,3 mccain...206 obama, zero mccain (cheers)b,121*Broad street was crazy again!!!! not a phillies world series crowd...but this was so much sweeter and beautiful (till the cops forcefully broke it up...wtf moment)b,121b,121so many moments. a 24 hours i will never forget!!!!!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    As soon as CNN called it... me and the missus looked at each other like... 'Really? Holy crap. We did it'.b, 21We then went out on our balcony... gun shots were going off in the hood. People screaming (in joy). Cars honking their horns.b,121Very happy night. Still sinking in.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121honestly, for all the high points one of the most memorable and emblematic moments of last night was the gathering at McCain's HQ. the crowd's ferocious booing at the very mention of Obama's name -- in a humble and respectful context, no less -- says a lot.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121and the tripped-out part is that when Obama mentioned [i]McCain's/i1 name, everybody respectfully clapped...i recounted this to my mother this morning, and she said "the winner is always gracious" img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/know.gif" alt="" 21

• Seeing Roland Martin's commentary and seeing the tears of joy, I lost it hard there. Hearing Soledad O'Brien get choked up. b, 21b, 21Seeing The CNN Projection graphic of Obama winning.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121*canvassing with three teens in the roughest part of town and having young kids come up to us at every corner asking if we had buttonsb,121*seeing huge turnouts at the mot dilapidated, rundown polling stationsb,121*seeing my mom curse out a campaign office manager who turned away three young bols who were trying to come in to the crowded office just to get their grub on. he pointed to a poster of obama and told my 70 year old ma "lets focus on helping him right now" and my mom was like "F*ck HIM! stop turning kids away!"b, 21*helping a 98 year old woman up the steps of the polling station at 8pm. she was in her nightgown and slippers and the coat of the young muslim obama volunteer who raced to her house to pick her up before polls closed. everyone was crying.b,121*being in the baltimore ave office when pole people came in reading off the machine totals....175 obama,3 mccain...206 obama, zero mccain (cheers)b,121*Broad street was crazy again!!!! not a phillies world series crowd...but this was so much sweeter and beautiful (till the cops forcefully broke it up...wtf moment)b,121b,121so many moments. a 24 hours i will never forget!!!!! b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Wow, it sounds like you really put in work on this one, and with your mom too. Your highlights are winnin. b, 21Thanks.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    There were many fav moments.b,121b,121I know I might not have a popular one. But I thought McCain's concession speech was up there. The guy was a bit of a shit this election. It's like he didn't take anything from how Bush's people treated him back in the past election. But the words he spoke felt authentic and it really broke down what was going down. I'm sure a large part of REPs were put off by it...b,121b,121b,121Oh..b,121b,121And Damn's (edith head) OH FUKK video!!!b,121b,121Not due to the fact of laughing at her or anything. But I just know if that had been me riding... I would have been wayyyyy to excited and done the exact same thing!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121- hugging tearing up strangers after speech and tearing upb,121- people celebrating in the streets and cars honking nonstop b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121This was all over Oakland all night. Just in the 5-minute walk to my homie's house was pretty amazing. The whole neighborhood and then some was out in the streets celebrating...as cliche as it is to say, you could feel the energy in the air. It was something else.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    This is like when Frodo finally drops the ring in the volcano and the evil is lifted across the land.b,121b,121OK, geek movie moment over.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Obama helping my mom walk up some stairs. b, 21b, 21My mom goes to all these state Dem fundraising dinners. They bring in national big wigs to speak. She heard all the hopeful presidential candidates at speak at these things over the course of the last 4 years. b, 21b, 21At one of these fundraisers my mom was being given an award and asked to come up on stage. She was 81 then. Obama helped her up the stairs. b, 21b, 21I think I will go call her now.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121Wow, it sounds like you really put in work on this one, and with your mom too. Your highlights are winnin. b, 21Thanks. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1 thankyou,man! i just did some last second support.i was blown away by the network of people who put in so much to make this happen.b,121b,121i only took 4 pics yesterday.b,121b,121my canvassing team. i didnt know the teen in the middle, but he was a powerhouse who did his part all day with gusto.b,121img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/tripledouble74/voteday2008001.jpg"1b,121b,121a 98 year old woman who squeaked at the 8pm deadline. she is wearing the coat of the campaign guy who raced to her house to pick her up before polls closed.b,121img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/tripledouble74/voteday2008002.jpg"1b,121b,121drunken poll watcher after news came in about elizabeth dole's defeatb,121

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121a 98 year old woman who squeaked at the 8pm deadline. she is wearing the coat of the campaign guy who raced to her house to pick her up before polls closed.b,121img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/tripledouble74/voteday2008002.jpg"1b,121 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Wow. This right here has got me kinda weepy. Amazing.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121Wow, it sounds like you really put in work on this one, and with your mom too. Your highlights are winnin. b, 21Thanks. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1 thankyou,man! i just did some last second support.i was blown away by the network of people who put in so much to make this happen.b,121b,121b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I respect your volunteerism for your city and country. Cheers.

• oh yeah, i was also REAALY feeling seeing barack and biden's beautiful families intermingling and hugging on stage. there was something very transcendent about it

• as soon as the speech was over the streets of BK were blowing UP!b,121b,121Spontaneous party at the intersection of Washington at Sterling happened in minutes. Cars were stopped, horns honked, pots and pans were banged. Hugs exchanged. I pulled out the samba whistle. b, 21b, 21img src="http://bywayof.net/charlie_shiz/street2.JPG"1b,121b,121then I got in the car for a horn honk tour with my crew shouting out the windows and blasting music. Flatbush was live. LES was weak. Union Square was like NYE 1999! I heard a cop say to one blunt smoker- "don't bogart that shit!". Dudes with 40's in bags saying "Yes We Can"! b, 21b, 21img src="http://bywayof.net/charlie_shiz/street1.JPG"1b,121b,121When shit started to die down on 14th street around 2:45AM, we hit up Fort Green and shit was still bumping in the street. Impromptu block party, people blocking off the street, Fela bumping from Madiba- south african restaurant- more drumming dancing drinking & smoking in the open air. I left at 4AM and it wasn't over. b, 21b, 21Closest I can think of was when I was in downtown Dakar and Senegal won a Africa Cup game. Second to that, I suppose being in Union Square with that type of togetherness took me back to 9/11. The openness and feeling of being in the middle of history... still hard to believe.

• From yesterday. First is my wife about to vote across the street from our apartment. The second is from the corner of 14th and U Streets NW (in DC of course) and the third is looking down U Street around 2AM.b,121b,121b, 21 img src="http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/33/l_4f514f83fdec40c59d918f9c4e35bc19.jpg"1 b,121b,121b, 21 img src="http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/52/l_487402c12c97421383acecb24d58982f.jpg"1 b,121b,121b, 21

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121oh yeah, i was also REAALY feeling seeing barack and biden's beautiful families intermingling and hugging on stage. there was something very transcendent about it b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That's because now a whole lot of us can look at these offices and see OUR families up there, see the rest of America looking at people not as anamolies and oddballs, but as HOW WE ARE. You can't underestimate the power of that in shaping how we see ourselves for generations to come. These are the moments the naysayers who fear this kind of unity between people have dreaded for so long, because the simple precedent is enough to send both subtle and seismic shifts through the social fabric. Once it's arrived, you can't put the genie back in the bottle. If anything almost made me well up, with both tears and pride, it was when the families joined him at the end, because THIS IS WHO WE ARE.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 I heard a cop say to one blunt smoker- "don't bogart that shit!". b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121massachussettes related???

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My brother-in-law, who is from the 9th ward in NOLA, called and recited MLK's final speech, when he got to the part aboutb,121b, 21 And so I'm happy, tonight.b,121I'm not worried about anything.b,121I'm not fearing any man!b,121Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!!b,121b,121I just sort of lost it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121oh yeah, i was also REAALY feeling seeing barack and biden's beautiful families intermingling and hugging on stage. there was something very transcendent about it b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That's because now a whole lot of us can look at these offices and see OUR families up there, see the rest of America looking at people not as anamolies and oddballs, but as HOW WE ARE. You can't underestimate the power of that in shaping how we see ourselves for generations to come. These are the moments the naysayers who fear this kind of unity between people have dreaded for so long, because the simple precedent is enough to send both subtle and seismic shifts through the social fabric. Once it's arrived, you can't put the genie back in the bottle. If anything almost made me well up, with both tears and pride, it was when the families joined him at the end, because THIS IS WHO WE ARE. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121There was a family id to the vote. b, 21b, 21Some people ided with Palin, lots of kids, working mom, pregnant teen...b,121b,121And some with Obama's, mixed heritage, raised by grandma, moved around a lot... b,121b,121It's a shame that McCain's family were kept in the closet. A lot of people could have ided with divorce, blended families, adopted multiethnic kids...b,121b,121Lots not forget Biden's family, tragedy, remarriage, blended families, life of service, school teacher...b,121b,121Interestingly, by contrast Clinton's family is single child, 2 income, infidelity...b,121Could we get any more yuppie?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121My brother-in-law, who is from the 9th ward in NOLA, called and recited MLK's final speech, when he got to the part aboutb,121b, 21And so I'm happy, tonight.b,121I'm not worried about anything.b,121I'm not fearing any man!b,121Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!!b,121b,121I just sort of lost it. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah, he and I kept playin' phone tag with him last night and finally had a deep conversation after Obama's speech. b, 21b, 21He was talkin' about moving to PDX again after some of the BS @ the station house (he is an Atlanta fireman) with some of his white co-workers. I told him I would love to have him and the rest of the family close again but someone has to be present to help Georgia along or it will never change.b,121b,121I also told him, I envy my little nephew, he is going to grow up in a world of possibilities that my 41 years had hoped for but didn't see happening anytime soon. He told me all that matters is we are her livin' it now and we got to see it happen.b,121b,121Yeah. I have been crying too much last night and today.