Your favourite Election Night moments?

2»

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Michelle Obama = Best First Lady Ever!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121oh yeah, i was also REAALY feeling seeing barack and biden's beautiful families intermingling and hugging on stage. there was something very transcendent about it b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That's because now a whole lot of us can look at these offices and see OUR families up there, see the rest of America looking at people not as anamolies and oddballs, but as HOW WE ARE. You can't underestimate the power of that in shaping how we see ourselves for generations to come. These are the moments the naysayers who fear this kind of unity between people have dreaded for so long, because the simple precedent is enough to send both subtle and seismic shifts through the social fabric. Once it's arrived, you can't put the genie back in the bottle. If anything almost made me well up, with both tears and pride, it was when the families joined him at the end, because THIS IS WHO WE ARE. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121For real. And then compare that with the AZ crowd at McCain's "party".b,121b,121WASPY

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121oh yeah, i was also REAALY feeling seeing barack and biden's beautiful families intermingling and hugging on stage. there was something very transcendent about it b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That's because now a whole lot of us can look at these offices and see OUR families up there, see the rest of America looking at people not as anamolies and oddballs, but as HOW WE ARE. You can't underestimate the power of that in shaping how we see ourselves for generations to come. These are the moments the naysayers who fear this kind of unity between people have dreaded for so long, because the simple precedent is enough to send both subtle and seismic shifts through the social fabric. Once it's arrived, you can't put the genie back in the bottle. If anything almost made me well up, with both tears and pride, it was when the families joined him at the end, because THIS IS WHO WE ARE. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121For real. And then compare that with the AZ crowd at McCain's "party".b,121b,121WASPY b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121and drunk? did anyone else spot the disappointed mid-20's girl with a strapless preppy look and a glass of white wine and slightly smeared eye-makeup...?b, 21good old boys.... your antics are trite

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    When they introduced the next First Family of the United States:b,121b,121img src="http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/577/slide_577_12430_large.jpg"1

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I'm looking for a pic of Obama's grin right before he walked back stage after his acceptance speech. If anyone comes across it, please to post.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121oh yeah, i was also REAALY feeling seeing barack and biden's beautiful families intermingling and hugging on stage. there was something very transcendent about it b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That's because now a whole lot of us can look at these offices and see OUR families up there, see the rest of America looking at people not as anamolies and oddballs, but as HOW WE ARE. You can't underestimate the power of that in shaping how we see ourselves for generations to come. These are the moments the naysayers who fear this kind of unity between people have dreaded for so long, because the simple precedent is enough to send both subtle and seismic shifts through the social fabric. Once it's arrived, you can't put the genie back in the bottle. If anything almost made me well up, with both tears and pride, it was when the families joined him at the end, because THIS IS WHO WE ARE. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121For real. And then compare that with the AZ crowd at McCain's "party".b,121b,121WASPY b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Word, where were all those black republicans that were on camera at the RNC? They didn't get their invites?

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I love Michelle Obama, but her dress is kinda NAGL IMO.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121*canvassing with three teens in the roughest part of town and having young kids come up to us at every corner asking if we had buttonsb,121*seeing huge turnouts at the mot dilapidated, rundown polling stationsb,121*seeing my mom curse out a campaign office manager who turned away three young bols who were trying to come in to the crowded office just to get their grub on. he pointed to a poster of obama and told my 70 year old ma "lets focus on helping him right now" and my mom was like "F*ck HIM! stop turning kids away!"b,121*helping a 98 year old woman up the steps of the polling station at 8pm. she was in her nightgown and slippers and the coat of the young muslim obama volunteer who raced to her house to pick her up before polls closed. everyone was crying.b,121*being in the baltimore ave office when pole people came in reading off the machine totals....175 obama,3 mccain...206 obama, zero mccain (cheers)b,121*Broad street was crazy again!!!! not a phillies world series crowd...but this was so much sweeter and beautiful (till the cops forcefully broke it up...wtf moment)b,121b,121so many moments. a 24 hours i will never forget!!!!! b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121nice dude, i was a poll watcher at 22nd and huntingdon and witnessed much of what you described (the total for my 2 machines was 422 for obama, 1 for mccain). b, 21b, 21my favorite moment was driving from there to center city to vote , and passing by all the canvassers, such as yourself, knocking on doors and giving people rides.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I love Michelle Obama, but her dress is kinda NAGL IMO. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121img src="http://www.spidy.goliathus.com/img/BlackWidowSpider.jpg"1

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121img src="http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/577/slide_577_12430_large.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Great picture. Would love to know who or what the daughters are looking at because they're not really feeling it from their expressions.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b, 21img src="http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/577/slide_577_12430_large.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Great picture. Would love to know who or what the daughters are looking at because they're not really feeling it from their expressions. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21Probably some crazy-ass supporter with a big sign or waving to them all nuts. "Mommy, who's that weird lady?" Or maybe they spotted Oprah. b,121b,121b, 21And I wasn't feeling Michelle's dress either.

Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121I love Michelle Obama, but her dress is kinda NAGL IMO. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121 b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121lulz

Yea - I'm not invested in this nearly as much as the rest of you and even I got nothing to really say about the dress!!
    The older daughter is probably at the age where she can process it a bit better, maybe even enjoy it. The younger one, though, I can't imagine having too much fun at that age, dealing with people in your face all the time.

• Great picture. Would love to know who or what the daughters are looking at because they're not really feeling it from their expressions.

First off: Coolest first lady EVAR!

Second, I can't imagine how those kids are not perpetually freaked out by the choas and attention. If when I was 10, I walked out onto a stage in front of 750,000 people cheering for my Dad I would have had a heart attack.

• Facial expressions...Malia and Sasha are too young to have 'game face' you can see they are startled. It's too cute, they "earned their new puppy"....
    priceless

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Great picture. Would love to know who or what the daughters are looking at because they're not really feeling it from their expressions.

they're looking at 70,000 people looking back at them and just about as many flashes of light. sure, they look a little freaked out but at that age in said situation I would've had soiled drawers at the very least.

Fusk can you believe it? A BLACK FIRST FAMILY!!!!! YES!

I don't know this as well as the rest of you - is this the first time they've had their kids on stage with them? They don't seem freaked out to me - just a little WTF? at whatever is to their left.

I think they have probably had a gazillion talks with their kids and will keep having to. I imagine they have to keep each other grounded.

• When they introduced the next First Family of the United States:

Yeah, I cried again at that moment. So surreal.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I don't know this as well as the rest of you - is this the first time they've had their kids on stage with them? They don't seem freaked out to me - just a little WTF? at whatever is to their left.

I think they have probably had a gazillion talks with their kids and will keep having to. I imagine they have to keep each other grounded.

their daughters are no strangers to crowds, press ops, camera, etc. -- but this is next level both as far as sheer numbers of people and a feeling of importance in the moment that I have to feel like any child beyond toddler ages could feel.

their dad has just been annointed what many would consider the "most important person in the world" -- and, trying to think back to an elementary-schooler's frame of mind, that probably feels simultaneously both completely natural and mind-boggling surreal from instant to instant.

elementary-schooler's frame of mind, that probably feels simultaneously both completely natural and mind-boggling surreal from instant to instant.[/b]

probably for the adults, too!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    No comment.

• I went to a snooty club here in Tokyo for what was supposed to be an Obama celebration. Mainly Euro girls and Canadian dudes though.

Then David Hasselhoff sat down a few booths away.