McCain on SNL

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121i find the sort of naval gazing cult of colbert stuff to be kind boring (i.e. the shit about his new wave band, or about how some biologist renamed some random obscure spider after him or whatever) and i prefer when hes sticking to satirizing others, as a critique rather than as a character in his own right b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121So you dislike all the jokey stuff on a comedy show? b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121no, i dislike all the stuff that turns it into a cult around a character rather than laughing at the actual jokes

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121no, i dislike all the stuff that turns it into a cult around a character rather than laughing at the actual jokes b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121The cult of Colbert is the joke. The cult of Stewart is a joke.b,121b,121I'd be curious to know what apolitical comedy programs are Deejworthy.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the cult of colbert is a one-note jokeb,121b,121if yr expecting me to be all into 'my1name is earl'-type shows after doing a referendum on my taste yr gonna be pretty disappointedb,121b,121b,121i mean seriously though - you don't have any friends w/ sense of humor who think daily show is funny?? i can understand some things arent for all people but i would be really surprised if you live in a world where only mindless "ughhh im so aggravated by the bush administration!!!" types are the ones who enjoy the daily show

• And my main concern with Stewart's audience is that I think he uses them as a crutch. If we're using your "Minds Playing Tricks" analogy, it'd be like if the Geto Boys reunited to cover "Monster Mash."

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121The cult of Colbert is the joke.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121No shit -- that's the satire. I don't know why he's not understanding you.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121The cult of Colbert is the joke.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121No shit -- that's the satire. I don't know why he's not understanding you. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121dude stfu with the soulstrut pile-on/noz kiss-azz bullshit. i understand its a joke, i said its a one-note joke that gets boring after a 10 minute interview with a not particularly charismatic biologist about how hes naming a microbe after steven colbert

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121And my main concern with Stewart's audience is that I think he uses them as a crutch. If we're using your "Minds Playing Tricks" analogy, it'd be like if the Geto Boys reunited to cover "Monster Mash." b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121does that mean all sitcoms that use laugh tracks are unfunny because they are a 'crutch'?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121The cult of Colbert is the joke.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121No shit -- that's the satire. I don't know why he's not understanding you. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121dude stfu with the soulstrut pile-on/noz kiss-azz bullshit. i understand its a joke, i said its a one-note joke that gets boring after a 10 minute interview with a not particularly charismatic biologist about how hes naming a microbe after steven colbert b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Seriously.b,121Colbert is the same joke repeated ad infinitum. What's puzzling is that so many people find that joke funny enough to sit through it repeatedly.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121the cult of colbert is a one-note jokeb,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I don't think he could effectively satirize his targets without that joke. O'Reilly types thrive on the cult of personality, just on a smaller scale. Colbert heightens this reality. Hence, humor.b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121if yr expecting me to be all into 'my1name is earl'-type shows after doing a referendum on my taste yr gonna be pretty disappointedb,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I had no expectation. It's just you've yet to say anything in this thread that would lead me to believe that you have interest in comedy on any level (other than "Karl Rove looks like a potato" or whatever, which isn't really a good look.)b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121i mean seriously though - you don't have any friends w/ sense of humor who think daily show is funny?? i can understand some things arent for all people but i would be really surprised if you live in a world where only mindless "ughhh im so aggravated by the bush administration!!!" types are the ones who enjoy the daily show b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Well I can't think of any politically indifferent friends who actively watch the Daily Show, if that says anything.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    noz, did you like when colbert interviewed lynn westmoreland and he couldnt1name the ten commandments? i thought that was hysterical - but thats a straight daily show-style straight man bit where you let the talking head/politician make a fool of himself.b,121b,121obviously i realize there are huge swaths of the country where him not naming the ten commandments is not funny, its embarrassing - and that its only funny to my commie east coast elitist echo chamber arugala starbucks blah blah - but its funny, and westmoreland is the reason its funny. hes a politician who is a hard right winger and claims to be socially conservative and religious, but can't name the ten commandments.b,121b,121its not funny because hes a target that i disagree with - its funny because he got caught fronting. if it was a democrat, it would be just as funny, although i might not be as happy about it

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Well I can't think of any politically indifferent friends who actively watch the Daily Show, if that says anything. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121...it doesnt, really. do politically indifferent people have better senses of humors?? if anything ppl i knew in college who were very apathetic tended to be really really into family guy/american dad/south park-type bullshit (not that those shows, american dad excepted, are never funny but there is a cult of bad-sense-of-humor fans if ever they existed)

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I had no expectation. It's just you've yet to say anything in this thread that would lead me to believe that you have interest in comedy on any level (other than "Karl Rove looks like a potato" or whatever, which isn't really a good look.) b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121this is kind of an asshole-ish 'argument'b,121b,121the last thing i laughed a lot at was 'bad santa' which is one of my favorite movies. my tv isnt hooked up right now but i liked arrested development and 30 rock when i get a chance to see them. king of the hill is also a show that i used to love although i havent seen many of the recent episodes. i dont really care if you like those shows or movies or think they're funny or not funny or whatever and this soulstrut-style "if he disagrees with me he must have bad taste in life!!!!" kind of shit is obnoxious imo

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    oh yeah i also think this clip is hilariousb, 21b, 21object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/490e290bf04ebdf4/4741e3c5156499a7/5c34a53/-cpid/b68fccd3df208b37"1id="W4727a250e66f9723490e290bf04ebdf4" width="384" height="283"1param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/490e290bf04ebdf4/4741e3c5156499a7/5c34a53/-cpid/b68fccd3df208b37"1/1param name="wmode" value="transparent"1/1param name="allowNetworking" value="all"1/1param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"1/1/object1b,121b,121and though this may shock you, it has nothing to do with my political disagreements with george f will!!!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Well I can't think of any politically indifferent friends who actively watch the Daily Show, if that says anything. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121...it doesnt, really. do politically indifferent people have better senses of humors?? if anything ppl i knew in college who were very apathetic tended to be really really into family guy/american dad/south park-type bullshit (not that those shows, american dad excepted, are never funny but there is a cult of bad-sense-of-humor fans if ever they existed) b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121Humor mavericks...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    DOUBLE MAVERICKERY/b1

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm unclear on why people are treating Stewart as a comedian in any real way. The funny quotient on TDS is dependent far more on the writing than John's comedic sensibilities; that's why several of his correspondents command far more laughter than he does - Stewart plays the straight guy and all he really does, most of the time, is make some funny faces or does a bad impersonation and there's your punchline. b,121b,121Personally, I don't diss the dude for it because the TDS is a lot more than just about Stewart. b,121b,121I like the show far far better for its correspondents - these days, Sam Bee and John Oliver are by far, the most consistent. Hodgeman is one note, if even that - dude's better in the PC/Mac ads, Rob Riggle is ok but very uneven and Jason Jones is on par (in contrast, Oliver, in particular, can take weak material and make it better). Wyatt, I'm afraid, is just painful - maybe he's some kind of genius writer but his acting skills are terrible. He has an awkwardly poor sense of timing and usually just does "I'm outraged!" in some C-rate Lewis Black style. b,121b,121Personally, I find Colbert a lot less consistently funny but that's partially because that show really, really needs good writing to hit the right notes. TDS can get by on footage of other people making fools of themselves but Colbert really has to sell himself at a higher level. I respect that but again, it doesn't make his show funnier. What I've liked about TCR are the unexpected left turns it takes - having Cookie Monster on, Jane Fonda totally throwing him off. You don't see those moments on TDS much at all.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121regardless, they were the two corniest skits of SNL's election series. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I thought the QVC bit was pretty funny - funnier than Palin's cameo. b,121b,121I had heard Obama was thinking of doing SNL this weekend; guess they'll just have to wait until he's elected img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt=""1/1

• The Olbermann sketch was terrible--who told Affleck that he sounded anything like Olbermann?b,121b,121Agreed that the QVC bit was funny. I think McCain is genuinely funnier than Obama, but unfortunately for him, it's not even in the top 50 of qualities I look for in a president.b, 21b, 21And Noz is spot-on in this thread. The Daily Show is hard to watch.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121strike1And Noz is spot-on in this thread. The Daily Show is hard to watch. /strike1b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121And Noz is spot-on in this thread. The Daily Show is hard to watch. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1Yeah. I also really dislike the typical pseudo-intellectual Daily Show fan who either tries to convince me that the show is really funny or that they know a lot about world events solely from watching it.b, 21b, 21And RE: SNL skits, I didn't really find any of them that funny. I'm guessing it's because most of those jokes were beaten the F*ck into the ground on the internet way before any of the skits aired but I just didn't find them that funny.

For real though - what was the last killer skit SNL turned out? (Ras Trend excepted)

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121this is kind of an asshole-ish 'argument'b,121b,121the last thing i laughed a lot at was 'bad santa' which is one of my favorite movies. my tv isnt hooked up right now but i liked arrested development and 30 rock when i get a chance to see them. king of the hill is also a show that i used to love although i havent seen many of the recent episodes. i dont really care if you like those shows or movies or think they're funny or not funny or whatever and this soulstrut-style "if he disagrees with me he must have bad taste in life!!!!" kind of shit is obnoxious imo b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121As I mentioned before, this wasn't my point and this isn't an argument. In all the years you've been on this site I don't recall you ever weighing in critically on any type of comedy discussion. So I'm trying to better understand where you are coming from. Bad Santa was fantastic but if that's the last great comedy you saw, I'm guessing you're not all that concerned with comedy. Or you've been in a coma for five years.b,121b,121Those of you falling back on the straight man argument need to stop think about what that role traditionally entails. It's more than just cynical indignation at the expense of your foil. And, though he might ultimately get the laughs, rarely is the straight man put on a pedestal the way Stewart is. I think even Kilborn did a much better job as a straight news anchor (sorry deejy.) Stewart spends too much time winking at the audience and laughing at his own jokes.b,121b,121Is Bill O'Reilly merely playing the straight man to those cooky lefties and dangerous minorities?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121I like the show far far better for its correspondents - these days, Sam Bee and John Oliver are by far, the most consistent. Hodgeman is one note, if even that - dude's better in the PC/Mac ads, Rob Riggle is ok but very uneven and Jason Jones is on par (in contrast, Oliver, in particular, can take weak material and make it better). Wyatt, I'm afraid, is just painful - maybe he's some kind of genius writer but his acting skills are terrible. He has an awkwardly poor sense of timing and usually just does "I'm outraged!" in some C-rate Lewis Black style. b,121 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121No love for Aasif Mandvi? Damn near everything I've seen dude do has been hilarious.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121For real though - what was the last killer skit SNL turned out? (Ras Trend excepted) b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah don't read anything I'm saying in this thread as a defense of present day SNL.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121For real though - what was the last killer skit SNL turned out? (Ras Trend excepted) b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I dont watch SNL but Dick In A Box is killer.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121I like the show far far better for its correspondents - these days, Sam Bee and John Oliver are by far, the most consistent. Hodgeman is one note, if even that - dude's better in the PC/Mac ads, Rob Riggle is ok but very uneven and Jason Jones is on par (in contrast, Oliver, in particular, can take weak material and make it better). Wyatt, I'm afraid, is just painful - maybe he's some kind of genius writer but his acting skills are terrible. He has an awkwardly poor sense of timing and usually just does "I'm outraged!" in some C-rate Lewis Black style. b,121 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121No love for Aasif Mandvi? Damn near everything I've seen dude do has been hilarious. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Forgot Mandvi - he's not bad; hasn't seemed to gotten as much work lately (nor has Jones).

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121And Noz is spot-on in this thread. The Daily Show is hard to watch. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1Yeah. I also really dislike the typical pseudo-intellectual Daily Show fan who either tries to convince me that the show is really funny or that they know a lot about world events solely from watching it.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121i really dislike the typical psuedo-intellectual soulstrut hater who relies on someone else to make an argument for him and chimes in w/ passive aggressive img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt=""1/1's

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Those of you falling back on the straight man argument need to stop think about what that role traditionally entails. It's more than just cynical indignation at the expense of your foil. And, though he might ultimately get the laughs, rarely is the straight man put on a pedestal the way Stewart is. I think even Kilborn did a much better job as a straight news anchor (sorry deejy.) Stewart spends too much time winking at the audience and laughing at his own jokes.b,121b,121Is Bill O'Reilly merely playing the straight man to those cooky lefties and dangerous minorities? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I'm not so interested in defending Stewart - he's not that funny to me either - but I do like I>The Daily Show/i1 and will defend its worthiness as a satirical politics/news show. The idea that it's O'Reilly for the Left doesn't make much sense to me. That's what Countdown is. Neither is trying for laughs (intentionally) and whether the fact that I find TDS funny b/c it appeals to my politics rather than some "genuine"1sense of humor is a false argument since one's sense of humor is informed by a lot of things, politics included. b, 21b, 21Is the TDS the funniest shit on TV? Hell no.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121And Noz is spot-on in this thread. The Daily Show is hard to watch. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1Yeah. I also really dislike the typical pseudo-intellectual Daily Show fan who either tries to convince me that the show is really funny or that they know a lot about world events solely from watching it.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121i really dislike the typical psuedo-intellectual soulstrut hater who relies on someone else to make an argument for him and chimes in w/ passive aggressive img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt=""1/1's b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1I'm sorry that I caught this thread late and that noz and others are much more willing to type up arguments than my lazy self. You are getting quite sensitive in this thread and I'm not sure why.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121You are getting quite sensitive in this thread and I'm not sure why. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Deej and Noz were made to bicker. b,121b,121Best not to get in the middle.