McCain on SNL

13»

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121this is kind of an asshole-ish 'argument'b,121b,121the last thing i laughed a lot at was 'bad santa' which is one of my favorite movies. my tv isnt hooked up right now but i liked arrested development and 30 rock when i get a chance to see them. king of the hill is also a show that i used to love although i havent seen many of the recent episodes. i dont really care if you like those shows or movies or think they're funny or not funny or whatever and this soulstrut-style "if he disagrees with me he must have bad taste in life!!!!" kind of shit is obnoxious imo b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121As I mentioned before, this wasn't my point and this isn't an argument. In all the years you've been on this site I don't recall you ever weighing in critically on any type of comedy discussion. So I'm trying to better understand where you are coming from. Bad Santa was fantastic but if that's the last great comedy you saw, I'm guessing you're not all that concerned with comedy. Or you've been in a coma for five years.b,121b,121Those of you falling back on the straight man argument need to stop think about what that role traditionally entails. It's more than just cynical indignation at the expense of your foil. And, though he might ultimately get the laughs, rarely is the straight man put on a pedestal the way Stewart is. I think even Kilborn did a much better job as a straight news anchor (sorry deejy.) Stewart spends too much time winking at the audience and laughing at his own jokes.b,121b,121Is Bill O'Reilly merely playing the straight man to those cooky lefties and dangerous minorities? b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121nah, i think you being a dick [i]was/i1 the point. comedy isnt like rap music or record nerdery - everyone laughs, and yr "you must not be keeping up with humor" as if its the same as me not caring about rare 80s "random rap" made up record collector genres is pretty condescending. i dont know what kind of nerd cred this shit is about not being 'concerned' with comedy. i havent been in a coma for 5 years, i just meant that bad santa was the last one i saw cuz i watched it two days ago. I don't think you were trying to figure out where i was 'coming from,' i think u were trynna get me to say some shit that you could clown me for a la Shawnna (btw still a good record) but regardless,b, 21b, 21what is it that most straight men do that stewart isnt doing? he sets up the structure of the joke, then lets the funny talking heads deliver the punch line. thats exactly what a straight man does. the reason he is winking and laughing with the audience is bcuz his character on the show is supposed to be sympathetic w/ the audience, we're seeing ourselves in his role acting out our confusion at the absurdity going on in national politics.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,1218.5 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121classique!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121And, for what it's worth, Colbert is an absolute genius, probably the greatest satirist of our time. I don't think Stewart's hackdom became quite so obvious until he made the unfortunate choice of letting Colbert go on after him. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121^^^ RAELER THAN RAEL ^^^b,121b,121my views of John Stewart (talentless hack with sometimes halfway decent writers) vs. Colbert (brilliant original comedic voice and one of the best extemporaneous interviewers of our generation) are well known; just thought I'd cosine anyway.

• people getting uptight and heated over comedy. so neccesurry.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the extent of his argument was that ppl only like the daily show because it agrees w/ them politically which is way rong imo and isnt really born out by any evidence either anecdotal or personal and i found his insinuations condescending so yeah it got heatedb,121b,121b/wb,121b,121i always argue on here heated

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121And Noz is spot-on in this thread. The Daily Show is hard to watch. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1Yeah. I also really dislike the typical pseudo-intellectual Daily Show fan who either tries to convince me that the show is really funny or that they know a lot about world events solely from watching it.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121i really dislike the typical psuedo-intellectual soulstrut hater who relies on someone else to make an argument for him and chimes in w/ passive aggressive img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt=""1/1's b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1I'm sorry that I caught this thread late and that noz and others are much more willing to type up arguments than my lazy self. You are getting quite sensitive in this thread and I'm not sure why. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121are u getting sensitive about me getting sensitive and calling you psuedo intellectual about you calling me psuedo intellectual