OYSTERS....

SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
Natural, Kilpatrick, Smoked....who rides?

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Salty and disgusting.

• OR surprisingly delightful...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The first time I tried one I likened the experience to swallowing a giant booger. But they've actually sorta grown on me. They definitely need lots of cocktail sauce or horse radish though.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    simple squeeze of lemon. Its all bout the ZINC!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sn.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 I likened the experience to swallowing a giant booger. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Swallowed a few giant boogers in your time??hehe..

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    b, 21...with beer

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21...with beer, lemon, hot sauce, and some crackers. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1

• On the half shell = my favorite food, and last meal.b,121b, 21Cooked are good; raw, with some lemon or a shallot mignonette? b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" /1

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Salty and disgusting. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Seriously. Foul as hell.b,121b, 21When I was in Croatia, they apparently had some world-class oysters...my friend insisted that I try one on some, "This is about as good as oysters get, so if you don't like this, then you definitely don't like oysters."b, 21b, 21I definitely don't like oysters. Shit was foul. One of the other folks at our table, a dead ringer for the one Domenick "Herc" Lombardozzi, was all too happy to eat the rest of those snotballs on a half-shell.

• This came up when I googled "raw oysters St. Petersburg Florida".b, 21b, 21Are those heels?b, 21b, 21 img src="http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m148/mantyf/pictures_female-ninjas.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21I'm down. Lemon and cocktail sauce with insane amounts of horseradish.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121This came up when I googled "raw oysters St. Petersburg Florida".b, 21b, 21Are those heels?b, 21b, 21 img src="http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m148/mantyf/pictures_female-ninjas.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21I'm down. Lemon and cocktail sauce with insane amounts of horseradish. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1p1b,121Thanks. Like I needed another fetish.

• Kilpatrick or Natural. b, 21b, 21A well known restaurant here in Melbourne hosts an "Oyster Frenzy" annually. All you can eat oysters and all you can drink champagne. The last time I went they had around 16 different varieties of oyster. I ate about 65.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Kilpatrick or Natural. b, 21b, 21A well known restaurant here in Melbourne hosts an "Oyster Frenzy" annually. All you can eat oysters and all you can drink champagne. The last time I went they had around 16 different varieties of oyster. I ate about 65. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21PLAESE to elaborate....resturant and time of year??

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21...with beer, lemon, & hot sauce. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/krusty.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121The first time I tried one I likened the experience to swallowing a giant booger. But they've actually sorta grown on me. They definitely need lots of cocktail sauce or horse radish though. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21no dude. a booger is usually dry and rocked up enough to pick it from out your nose hole. oysters go down like giant loogies or phlegm globules. b, 21b, 21oysters. im kinda indifferent to them. if it was put in front of me, id prolly eat it.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21 img src="http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m148/mantyf/pictures_female-ninjas.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21pretty sure that's not a REAL ninja.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    doing anything else with an oyster than applying a small amount of lemon juice is just barbaric.b, 21b, 21Ther are oysters that come out of murky whater which taste like shit but if you have to douse them with stuff to get them down, you shouldn't be eating them in the first place.b, 21b, 21A year and a half ago, I was snorcheling at a small oyster reef on the tip of Banana Island in Sierra Leone and broke a few oysters off the rock with a machette. when we slurped them a few hours later, we found a small black pearl in one of them. no lie!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sn.gif" alt="" /1 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" /1

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Shucked by hand, maybe with some lemon or a dash of Tapatio but nothing more. b,121b, 21The brinier, the better.b,121b, 21I miss being able to go to Tomales Bay, grabbing a dozen and breaking out the shucking knife.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/2948002852_e6b676f782.jpg"1b,121oysters yes b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/krusty.gif" alt="" /1b, 21b, 21Oh, and F*ck YOU Frank, with your machete snorkelling african black pearl finding adventures.b,121b, 21Is it not enough to put us all to shame with your digging, you must now machete snorkel?b, 21b, 21bastard.

• Fried only. As much as I love clams on the half shell with hot sauce, raw oysters don't do it for me. Fried oysters however are sweet and delicious.

• Fried Oysters are one of my all time fav foods. Gene's Po-Boys hooks me up with a good deal on a dozen.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Fried only. As much as I love clams on the half shell with hot sauce, raw oysters don't do it for me. Fried oysters however are sweet and delicious. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Sayin'. I eat most seafood, but I just don't see the point in eating them raw. Which is a shame, because two of my friends bartend at a waterfront spot where I could eat free oysters 'til my head explodes.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21Sayin'. I eat most seafood, but I just don't see the point in eating them raw. . b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21Because it's delicious? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" /1b,121b, 21Seriously though, raw oysters, more so than other foods, really do fall under "acquired taste" even though they're hardly that exotic. Personally, I only really like 'em small, like Kuramotos. Big honkin' oysters might be good for BBQing or frying but I wouldn't want to try to suck one of those down raw. The fun in raw oysters for me, is that shot, intense hit of brininess. The texture? Not so much, hence why I prefer the smaller ones. b, 21b, 21Sort of random but my father-in-law - an avid fisherman - was telling me about his yearly trip to Alaska for a week where the fishing boats throw out shrimp pots, yank 'em up, and then butcher those suckers so fresh that they're still wiggling when you eat them. b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/breakface.gif" alt="" /1

• Last time I had them:b,121b, 21shot glassb,121Raw oysterb, 21sakib, 21wasabib,121b, 21not bad at all.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Its all bout the ZINC! b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21betta believe it - doubles your sperm countb, 21b, 21 img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/pablodiscobar/Oyster.jpg"1

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    malpeques and blue points, a little hot sauce = yes!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21Sort of random but my father-in-law - an avid fisherman - was telling me about his yearly trip to Alaska for a week where the fishing boats throw out shrimp pots, yank 'em up, and then butcher those suckers so fresh that they're still wiggling when you eat them. b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/breakface.gif" alt="" /1 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21When I was about 12, my parents took me on a vacation to the most amazing stretch of France's Atlantic coast just below Ile d'Olleron. Easily amongst the top 5 things my parents ever did for me... I've sinc ebeen back numerous times and can't wait for my next visit, it's been way too many years already. The place is magic and it's called "Cote Sauvage". The beach is just incredible. It's the same region where the Fines Claires Oysters come from which are amongst my alltime faves. I think even the Oyster bar at NYC's Grand Central normally offers them). The water there is beyond pristine. The gulf stream hits jus about there and Ile d'Olreon and the other two islands around it (Ile d'Aix is a very rewarding daytrip) direct superfresh and 100% unpolluted towards the coast. The beach is only accessible on paths that are banned for motorized traffic and it takes you a good 30 minutes of a walk to finally reach the water. It's insane. The aroma... you smell the pine trees and then the wild herbs which grow inbetween the two dunes and then the etheric smell of fresh seawater, plankton and algae hits you with a surprising freshness. It is the etheric components of those small life forms that float in truly pristine seawater that make up the taste of an oyster. An oyster sits on a rock for decades. All it does day in day out is filter small particles and life froms out of the sea water. Thus an oyster is the essence of the water it grows up in, if the water is murky, the oyster will taste accordingly. An oyster out of clean, pristine water is like a drop of perfume, it's an essence, a miracle and a microcosmos. A treasure that should not be touched before consumation. Just a few drops of lemon juice is all you need. You add them and you see the animal react to the acid: A sure sign that it's still alive. You then slurp it and bite it (the French call this "killing the oyster" which in fact is exactly what you do). Slurping and swallowing would be wrong and for your taste buds would mean to miss out on moist of the sensation.b,121b, 21Most people who don't like oysters don't like them because they had nasty tasting experiences with low quality oysters. Try the Finnes Claires or Scottish Rock Oysters (they also enjoy the benefit of the gulf stream). It's a whole other thing. I would never recommend anyone to try Louisiana oysters in the half shell... they're muddy tasting, just try and imagine the nastyness in the water they had to filter themselves through before they ended up being washed with tab water, fried and thrown on a Po-Boy (I love Louisiana food and Po-Boys but not what they do to oysters).b, 21b, 21Big cosign on live, fresh cought shrimp... it's a bit disturbing at first to have them wiggle in your mouth while chewing but the taste is phenomenal.