New to the Strut? INTRODUCE YOURSELF

13»

Comments

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    what's up i'm dj prestige. i've been a lurker for a LONG time. decided to get up with the grown folk talk on here since i am a grown ass man. DJing since 97. held a few residencies in the LES in NYC. had a night with another DJ friend of mine for a minute opposite ayers aka urrrrs when he was at ludlow bar, at a joint on orchard st. in NYC. went on to become a DJ for a lava/atlantic records band, toured for like 3 years in the USA and Canada...highlights included playing the playboy mansion and touring with sugar ray and some other major acts (if sugar ray is still considered a major act). since everyone knows the music business is cutthroat, i'll spare the imploding band story and just say i'm out of that aspect of the biz. i'm back to doing solo DJ gigs, and focusing on deep funk and rare groove shit. i've been diggin' for a long time, still do it on weekends and whenever i get the chance. i'm in the process of moving into a loft with my wife to be in beautiful asbury park, nj (which by the way is getting redeveloped a la brooklyn or any other hipster city in the US). we still have a bit to go. so there you have it. big props the the people on here..not only do you keep me informed, you guys entertain me and crack me up for sure, peace, stein..i mean prestige.

• asprin & mr jeigh introduced me to the game

"...let me put you on the game."
    PM me so I can figure out who you are please?

regards
    jeigh

• doo doo
    SF
    early 30's
    collector/producer

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Hi! I just got "approved", so I guess I should introduce myself.

I am from Norway, and live in the capital.. Oslo. My english is really bad, but it tend to get better when I'm drunk (I'm not drunk right now though). I study art.. or I would say it's history, as it's more about culture changes and wars and all those things who made a different in art through out the history. it's okey, but I'm not planning to work on some museum or anything. My idea, besides enjoying the music around me, is to end up as an journalist or something.. we'll see. I the editor of a norwegian indie site called Hissig (means angry. but we're not angry at all though). That's cool. We're an okey gang writing for the site right now. Our last interview is with Doseone, and that was a nice experience.

I've been reading in this forums for a while, but didn't register untill the end of last week. I'll try stick around. Seems like there is a lot of talented and experienced people here with a lot of knowledge. Looking forward to get a little educated I listened to a lot of hip hop earlier, but today I listen to so much different bands and artist so I don't see myself as an hip hopper or something.... as I might did before. I play everything from Outkast to Burzum on my turntable these days. As long as I enjoy it. When it comes to older music jazz is my thing, but I'm no expert. When I did my duty in military I listened to Miles Davis almost every night. I didn't sleep much because of something that happened in my family, and it was a hard time for me. Miles Davis ment a lot. it was my revelation, and I understood that music was more important than just sounds in my ears. Today I like early 70s Miles the most, but that changes all the times and depends on my moods and everything.

I guess I should stop here? I'm 22 by the way. Thinking about doing some studying in the states. San Francisco seems interesting. Any tips?

Well, that's me. Thank you for your time

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Hi my name is Hawkeye, I'm living in Hannover and Hamburg in good old Germany.

I'm into "black music" since day one. When I came home my brother pumped a lot of Disoc and Funk music and thats the only thing I thank him for. HipHop infected me around 83 when the Breakdance hype came to europe. I quit b-boying but I couldnt stop my love for this culture, even if it's changing like the wheather. I collect records for around 20 years now from genres like New School Rap, Funk, Disco, Psychedelic Rock, Jazz, Electro and so on. All the other stuff I've done or I do are all in this info text about me from the web.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hawkeye is a full-time hip-hop and music activist. He writes a monthly HipHop column for German hip-hop magazine "Juice" and a Funk column for Austrian HipHop and rare-groove magazine "The Message" and has contributed articles for "Wax Poetics", "Lodown" and German magazine "Jazzthing". For three years Hawkeye was the host and editor for several hip-hop shows on Viva TV which was recently bought by Viacom. There he did the shows "Supreme" and "Mixery Raw Deluxe".

He has produced beats for MCs like German Top 10 rapper Curse and Phillies Grand Agent or remixes for artist like Canibus.

Under his name Hawkeye, he produces mostly instrumental music that can range from hip-hop to Funky-Breakbeat to Downbeat or Funk-music with live bands (check the soundtracks for the "Battle Of The Year" 2002, 03 and 04).

He also holds lectures about hip-hop at German universities and media academies. And on top of it all Hawkeye is working the wheels of steel for 16 years now.

A party with Hawkeye is like being at a blockparty. He plays a mixture of funk, soul, disco, 80's new school rap, 90's golden era rap, funky rock, brazil, jazz and 80's electro and pop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now I'm finishing my contribution to the Soul Strut compilation which will be released on DJ Olskis "Melting Pot Music" lable which has a nice suprise on the advance 12" of that compilation. Also I'm the producer of Funk Band "Imperial Breed", right now we are preparing our first 7" single which will hopefully come in September.

Beside the music I work on the Internet version of my old TV show on www.mixeryrawdeluxe.tv

I hope we can start this thing in about 4-6 weeks. (I hope that for 3 Month now, but I'm pretty confident that this time it really will start)

Here are discographys from stuff i did, but it is not complete

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Hawkeye+(2)

http://www.premium-blend.de/artists/index_disco.php?name=Hawkeye+%5BPROD%5D

Peace

Hawkeye

If you don't know, Now you know

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    For three years Hawkeye was the host and editor for several hip-hop shows on Viva TV which was recently bought by Viacom. There he did the shows "Supreme" and "Mixery Raw Deluxe".

That's you! Cool to have you around. I really liked Supreme, it's fucked up, they let it die...

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Why do I feel like you probably know Bukue One? That's my homie.

And Willkommen, btw.

@ cHiller

where are you from ??? Germany ???

@ hogginthefogg

If I remember it right I interviewed him one or two times. I think it was in december 2003 at the ITF championchips in Munich where he where with Wordsworth on a typical Subotage Tour organized by Karen and managed and driven by Alex aka DJ Madspin. Could that be ???

Is 7 Heads still in Business ???

Peace
    Hawkeye

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    posted a new thread, but deleted, as this seems like the proper place for an intro.

been lurking this forum for a few weeks, and have found it an invaluable source of information for music. about me: 21, finishing up college in san diego and moving back to the bay area in a matter of weeks (looking forward to well stocked record stores and functional public transportation). in my free time i like to make my own music on my computer and a drum machine, and play mario kart with my wonderful girlfriend who supports my record-digging excavations (latest scores at various thrift stores: brian eno's "music for films", mort garson's "aries/signs of the zodiac", some ramsey lewis records, and that david weiss "virtuoso saw" record i saw mentioned on here).

i'm very into 60s pop/psychedelic, free jazz, experimental/avant-garde, moog-core, and french music...not too caught up on the obscure side of 60s/mid-70s soul/funk, which is one of the main reasons i like to read this site a lot. if you want my soulseek handle, send me a pm.

cheers folks,

-p

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    @Hawkeye:
    Yes, straight outa Karlsruhe.
    But i must commit i'm connected to the competition. A friend of mine is working for panthertainment. (Producing wordcup)
    hope i'm still cool...

LOL. No everythings cool. I talked to Scope a few month ago about something like a "priviliged partnership" Because when Supreme was on the dudes from MTV where really trying to do some competion with all there "video premier for Germany" shit and stuff. But we were a show with 4 original episodes a week and they only had 1 so what the fuk. It was no real problem for me but I was bored with that sitaution. Thats why I called Scope.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    (latest scores at various thrift stores: that david weiss "virtuoso saw" record i saw mentioned on here).

That's a nice pickeup. I've been listening to that version of Summertime that someone posted a lot. It's friggin infectious.