COUNTRY ROCK

Comments

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

Get your whiteboy on Raj!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    For country rock I don't think you can beat Commander Cody & Lost Planet Airmen. And for a road trip you can't beat their Hot Licks Cold Steel And Truckers Favorite Lp.

Others who rock the country that have not been named:
    JJ Cale
    Guy Clark Texas Cookin
    Willis Alan Ramsey
    The Doug Sham super group with Flaco, name?
    Tish Hinjosha
    BR5 49
    Alvin Crow

LAST MILE RAMBLERS! (they have THE best version of Phantom 309.)

Eva Cassidy (soulful folk rock)
    Emmy Lou Harris Roses In The Snow
    Emmy Lou Harris Boulder To Birmingham
    Buffalo Springfield

Dan

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    New Riders of the Purple Sage:

Am I the only one who thinks this record is way over rated? I know there are a lot of California hippies here, but really. Do people who like this also like real country music?

Sorry if this turns into a thread hijack. Please recommend at least one country rock record if you reply.

Dan

Am I the only one who thinks this record is way over rated?

I think this album is way "underated."

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks this record is way over rated? I know there are a lot of California hippies here, but really. Do people who like this also like real country music?

yes. I like that record and "real country". But, I am a California hippy...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Sorry if this turns into a thread hijack. Please recommend at least one country rock record if you reply.

Dan

Yeah, I like it, but it would have been way better if McGuinn hadn't pulled a star trip and done vocals over Parson's. Though it's easy to see why he was a bit threatened by Parson's contributions. I find it to be be a far more influential record than the archetypal country-rock or hippie country. Like it's just a bit shy of being finished or something.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Greatful Dead's "Workingman's Dead"
    cosign (Newspeedway Boogie)

Also some older stuff from these guys

No road trip is complete without:

• Am I the only one who thinks this record is way over rated? I know there are a lot of California hippies here, but really. Do people who like this also like real country music?

Dan

Yeah, I like it, but it would have been way better if McGuinn hadn't pulled a star trip and done vocals over Parson's. Though it's easy to see why he was a bit threatened by Parson's contributions. I find it to be be a far more influential record than the archetypal country-rock or hippie country. Like it's just a bit shy of being finished or something.

I thought that Gram's vocals were wiped because of threatened legal action by Lee Hazelwood (who had him under contract from ISB days)...

Overated Album

Borderline sucks IMO.

Dan

I thought that Gram's vocals were wiped because of threatened legal action by Lee Hazelwood (who had him under contract from ISB days)...

I coulda sworn it was McGuin, at least according to a Mojo article a while back about 'Sweetheart', that McGuinn and Parsons had some kinda falling out or McGuinn wondering why he was in the band at all from the get go. It also made the case that McGuinn had wanted to persue a country LP earlier but had been shot down, and he resented everyone acting like it was all Parson's idea.

Dan

I didn't know that McGuinn had replaced Parson's vocals with his.

I respect how influential it is. Though spawning the Eagles and Poco is a dubious claim to fame.

When I first opened my shop in 1990, and was trying to stock some new stuff I got invited to a few retailer events where artists would play a few songs for retailers in the middle of the day. All the artists were super nice and happy to talk and sign stuff. The best was Nils Lafgrin, who played way longer than required and told great stories about Bruce and Ringo. He lived up to his reputation as a nice guy.

The absolute worse was McGuinn, who kept a posse of groupies/managers between himself and 2 dozen retailers, hid in a back room, and left early. He lived up to his reputation as an asshole.

Dan

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

And in a more American Beauty-type direction...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i dont hate gram parsons, but the one record i have with any g.p. involvement isnt great, just good. im talking about the international submarine band lp. its a nice takeoff on buck owens and the buckaroos, but gram doesnt sound very confident. im going to have to use the overused word "overrated" to describe this one.

and so this doesnt look like a thread hijack, here are some more country-rock recommendations (both are albums):
    - rick nelson's "in concert"
    - dobie gray's "loving arms"

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Overated Album

Borderline sucks IMO.

aw, man! that's harsh! Sure it's not as good as any of his other records, but it's still a good record. I like it.

• THRIFTDIGTHRIFTDIG 36 Posts
    Pioneers in country-rock...1st POCO lp w/ Jim Messina, Richie Furay (both ex-Buffalo Springfield), and Rusty Young. nice writing & great playing.

Pioneers in country-rock...1st POCO lp w/ Jim Messina, Richie Furay (both ex-Buffalo Springfield), and Rusty Young. nice writing & great playing.

Dont forget:
    Firefall
    Pure Prarie League
    Starland Vocal Band
    John Denver ("He's dead, I know" the woman said to me in hopes of getting the big $$$s.)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Raj -

A couple good ones I don't think have been mentioned:

Memphis Death Trip Country Psych with Saxophone...

Don't let the "funk" fool ya, it's country rock...

Any early Townes record would be good, but I like this first one because it has more of a rock sound than the later, folkier LP's.

Watch out for Smokey!!

Also, this fine & cheap LP from Sundazed is the Sweetheart of the Rodeo[/b] initial takes with Gram Parsons on vocals, and includes a couple Parsons-sung tunes not on the LP.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    skeletons - in the flesh
    skeletons - waiting
    morells - shake & push
    box car willie & the skeletons - rock box
    +
    of course

Marlin Wallace & the Corillions - double album

&

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    you guys saying that Sweetheart is overrated makes me sad.

has anyone seen that clip of the Byrds on Beat Club/Musikladen? Mcguinn mannerisms is on some manson-stare freaky-deakyness singing into the camera all chemical-imbalance like and being overly expressive. it was interesting though. he looked like a hippy from the neck up because of the long hair but he was wearing the most stylin rico suave dark blue suit which i must admit was kind of a good look.

has anyone seen that clip of the Byrds on Beat Club/Musikladen? Mguinn mannerisms is on some manson-stare freaky-deakyness singing into the camera all chemical-imbalance like and being overly expressive. it was interesting though. he looked like a hippy from the neck up because of the long hair but he was wearing the most stylin rico suave dark blue suit which i must admit was kind of a good look.

You shoulda seen him around the time Sweethearts came out. Just so they'd be taken seriously by country fans, they all wore suits and got haircuts, in a mod-ish Glen Campbell style. There's a clip of them on Playboy After Dark from around that time.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Overated Album

Borderline sucks IMO.

YES! I just got a copy this weekend and expected to be in for a treat...turned out to be almost entirely dissapointing.

Raj[/b], if your into Whiskeytown then you need to pick up Ryan Adams first Solo LP "Heartbreaker" its the sole reason I keep taking dissapointing chences on all his other work.

don't sleep on Gillian Welch either

has anyone seen that clip of the Byrds on Beat Club/Musikladen? Mcguinn mannerisms is on some manson-stare freaky-deakyness singing into the camera all chemical-imbalance like and being overly expressive. it was interesting though. he looked like a hippy from the neck up because of the long hair but he was wearing the most stylin rico suave dark blue suit which i must admit was kind of a good look.

Sorry to hat on your favorite. I'm not sure what about your description is supposed to make me like it. It's not that I think the record is not without merit. It's just that it is used by Village Voice Rolling Stones types as the pinnacle of country rock. While it is fairly early in the world of country, it is hardly the first, and far from the best.

I think in the vain these two are my favorites:
    Commandor Cody Hot Licks, Cold Steel & Truckers Favorites
    Last Mile Ramlers

Here are 2 more worth mentioning:
    Jerry Lee Lewis In Memphis
    Best Of Lorretta Lynn and Earest Tubb (pure county but would sound good next to most nonsouthernrock recommendations above.)

Dan

skeletons - in the flesh
    skeletons - waiting
    morells - shake & push

wow, never thought I would hear these names on the Strut!
    Great live bands, a bit corny on record, but they were great.

Oh hey what about my old friends The Jayhawks?
    And Dave Alvin solo LPs are pretty countrified

so is Dwight Yoakam

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    skeletons - in the flesh
    skeletons - waiting
    morells - shake & push

Great live bands, a bit corny on record, but they were great.

Oh hey what about my old friends The Jayhawks?
    And Dave Alvin solo LPs are pretty countrified

so is Dwight Yoakam

i skipped the rest of their releases cause they get a bit too c-ball
    they'll be kickin it live with 3 other springfield mo bands at the iota 8/15

gary atkinson's drummer won't be there, he's with dave alvin

other good friends, jonathan richman - goes country, roscoe & the gang ,
    bottle rockets

skeletons - in the flesh

skeletons - waiting

you guys made the call - great live, hokey on record. if all i had were these albums to go by, id dismiss em altogether

morells - shake & push

now THIS album i can get behind, esp. "Red's."

however, the cornball disease caught up w/the morells, too - they reunited a few years ago, and while again they sounded good live (particularly backing up bo diddley), the two albums theyve released since then are forgettable

never thought id hear these names associated w/country-rock (although the c&w element is there). this thread has taken some ODD turns, hasn't it? (canned heat, the guess who and dusty springfield - COUNTRY??) even so, nice excuse to bring these bands up.

• Am I the only one who thinks this record is way over rated? I know there are a lot of California hippies here, but really. Do people who like this also like real country music?

Dan

When I first opened my shop in 1990, and was trying to stock some new stuff I got invited to a few retailer events where artists would play a few songs for retailers in the middle of the day. All the artists were super nice and happy to talk and sign stuff. The best was Nils Lafgrin, who played way longer than required and told great stories about Bruce and Ringo. He lived up to his reputation as a nice guy.

The absolute worse was McGuinn, who kept a posse of groupies/managers between himself and 2 dozen retailers, hid in a back room, and left early. He lived up to his reputation as an asshole.

Dan

As much as I love the Byrds, I've never been able to all the way get with "Sweetheart" either. I recommend "Notorious Byrd Brothers, " which has a couple country-ish cuts and is great throughout. (And since you're looking for road music, I've gotta point out that "I Wasn't Born to Follow" was driving/hippie montage music in "Easy Rider"-- hopefully your trip will go a little better than Captain America and Billy's.)

I heard a story regarding McGuinn a few years ago-- someone told me he moved to Florida so he could go to Disneyworld every day and that's all he does now.

On the subject of Nils Lofgren, he made a couple really good records in the early 70s, my favorite being "1+1." Not country, but very sweet, very white. The song "Sometimes" really does it to me.

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts
    (And since you're looking for road music, I've gotta point out that "I Wasn't Born to Follow" was driving/hippie montage music in "Easy Rider"

No, it wasn't. It was getting naked and skinny dipping with hippie chicks montage music (complete with Fonda's white ass). No riding in that scene at all.

As for GP's Grievous Angel, I defy anyone to name a better piece of country gospel harmony vocalizing than Parsons, Emmylou and Linda Ronstadt on "In My Hour of Darkness".

I sing along on that and it practically makes me believe in Jesus.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Billy Ray Cyrus
    Clint Black
    Toby Keith
    George Strait
    Alan Jackson
    Garth Brooks
    Brooks and Dunn

• (And since you're looking for road music, I've gotta point out that "I Wasn't Born to Follow" was driving/hippie montage music in "Easy Rider"

No, it wasn't. It was getting naked and skinny dipping with hippie chicks montage music (complete with Fonda's white ass). No riding in that scene at all.

Oh, shit, my "Easy Rider" game is officially on blast.

I wouldn't recommend this as road trip music per se, but there's a country rock record by a group called Laramie (S/T on Mercury) that's vaguely sick. Basically white hippie dudes doing super-Parsons-esque nasal country vocals with fiddle and banjo while the drummer (Luther Rix of Ten Wheel Drive and a million sessions) plays funk and drum and bass-style patterns. Sometimes it's comedy/novelty (like their version of "Ruby Tuesday"), sometimes it's kinda dope (like on the lead cut or "Cryin' After You").