COUNTRY ROCK

13»

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• i used to be roommates with mike nice (for those that know dude) and he had a cat named Toonces. that was my little buddy.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Uncle Charlie And His Dog Ted

now that is one underated lp.. rolls and smokes the first poco IMO.

im in complete agreement that sweetheart of the rodeo is WAY overated. i like one or two jams on there and the rest is pretty much the def of yawn.. my copy is signed by hillman and mcquin too, which is kinda the only reason i aint sold it.

notorious byrds bros is the shit y'all need in your life... dr byrd is good too...

cosign on A Gift From Euphoria as well.

and if ya'll are gonna bring the doobies / guess who et al in this then i think you can place American Beauty on the list as well.

but really country rock's begining / middle and end is Gilded Palace Of Sin.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    has anyone seen that clip of the Byrds on Beat Club/Musikladen? Mcguinn mannerisms is on some manson-stare freaky-deakyness singing into the camera all chemical-imbalance like and being overly expressive. it was interesting though. he looked like a hippy from the neck up because of the long hair but he was wearing the most stylin rico suave dark blue suit which i must admit was kind of a good look.

I'm not sure if McGuinn was on drugs or not but he's definitely a weirdo... dude changed his name early in the Byrds career because of some cult he was in...

I've always thought Sweetheart of the Rodeo was mad overrated, but thats partly cuz my parents and uncle love it... I'm a HUGE Byrds fan but I've never been able to really listen to that record... maybe someday (need to hear the outtakes LP)

I'd also read in a few different places that Parsons' vocals were wiped off due to his contractual obligations w/ISB

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    800 pound gorllia in the room...................

• but really country rock's begining / middle and end is Gilded Palace Of Sin.

not to those of us who've heard michael nesmith.

he was doing the country-rock thing with the monkees long before the byrds thought to go there.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

but really country rock's begining / middle and end is Gilded Palace Of Sin.

not to those of us who've heard michael nesmith.

he was doing the country-rock thing with the monkees long before the byrds thought to go there.

I gotta disagree with this. "Gilded Palace"-era Burrittos is way more of a Gram Parsons project than a Byrds one. Parsons was recording Country Rock for Lee Hazlewood with the International Submarine Band in 1965, a full year before the Monkees' debut LP, and well before Nesmith was allowed to perform any of his own material with the band. From ISB to the Byrds to the Burrittos, Parsons was the catalyst and master of Country Rock as the sound it came to be. Nesmith is truly one of the most under-rated influences and performers of Country Rock, though - consistent, too, from the late 60's all through the 70's.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i've sold every copy of mike nesmith's solo joints i've come accross.. so i stand by my statement on Gilded Palace.

i'd rather listen to the monkees Head than those nesmiths.

that said that nitty gritty lp i mentioned earlier has a blazing take on Some of Shelly's Blues.

• Johnny Cash - Man in Black (the best by the best)
    John Stewart and Buffy Ford - Signals Through the Glass
    John Stewart - California Bloodlines

Heard tell The Country Sweetie by Bobbie Gentry is country psych, but haven't heard it yet.

Euphoria is the most overblown record, shit poor vocals and retarded pretentiousness, like Van Dyke Parks with a head injury. Fraser and Debolt on the other hand lives up to its rep as the freakiest cuntry record ever.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Heard tell The Country Sweetie by Bobbie Gentry is country psych, but haven't heard it yet.

It's "The Delta Sweete" (her second album) and although it has slightly psych-ish cover art, it's really not much different than the "Ode to Billy Joe" LP...not really any psych touches at all...having said that, I think her albums are awesome, highly recommend them to anybody, and "The Delta Sweete" is probably my favorite.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I cant see like 90% of the images in this post so forgive the repeats, but

Anything by the Flying Burrito Bros.,
    Sir Douglas Quintet and solo Doug Sahm

and Uncle Tupelo too.

New stuff:

Bottlerockets
    Drive By Truckers
    Richard Buckner
    Son Volt

• Being a Georgia boy and a frequent road tripper I can relate to this here thread. Here are some of my favorites for the truck:

and anything by these guys:

• i've sold every copy of mike nesmith's solo joints i've come accross..

i was specifically referring to the country-rock stuff Nez did WITH THE MONKEES.

his solo records dont move me that much.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Overated Album

Borderline sucks IMO.

YES! I just got a copy this weekend and expected to be in for a treat...turned out to be almost entirely dissapointing.

eh, it's not that it's a BAD record, it's just his most overhyped and it's kind of a sloppy mess... Brass Buttons and Hearts on Fire are great, alot of it is so-so (esp. compared to his Burrito Bros stuff and GP...)

GP is one of my favorite records by anyone, ever... if you shit on that, you're sleeping...

i recently got a 45 of Kitty Wells doing "I've been loving you too long to stop now"

• i recently got a 45 of Kitty Wells doing "I've been loving you too long to stop now"

It's not half bad, either! Kitty's voice got weirder with age (almost like a down-South Mrs. Miller), but she holds her own on this Otis Redding song. I have the album it comes from, Forever Young on Capricorn.

• Dr Hook.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Favorites not mentioned in this thread: