*OFFICIAL STRUT NBA '08-'09 Grit Grime Edition*

Comments

• Im say it -

Oden is a bum.

He is not the next great big man.

• How you gonna call that dude a bum 20 games into his career?

• Im say it -

Oden is a bum.

He is not the next great big man.

A bum?

That's a little harsh don't you think.

The kid is only 20 years old!

Give him 10 minutes to breath and break in his shoes before people start screaming for his head.

He's progressively getting better every game. Shit, he picked up a doub-doub last Saturday (albeit against the Raptors, but shit - Bosh and O'Neal we're both making him work). And he needs games like that to get mentally tough (which to me seems to be his biggest lagging quality).

His defense has been solid all year so far (averaging 1.63 BLKS) and his scoring average has been rising every game. We ain't even at the All Star Break yet.

Granted, he ain't dominating shit right now, but don't be so quick to write him off. All good things..

As for Tuesday game...

These dudes need to really show up.

PS - go vote Rudy in to the Slam Dunk Contest.

• How you gonna call that dude a bum 20 games into his career?

Yes.

Checkin this dude out, he is not going to blossom into the next Yao Ming,David Robinson,David West,Dork Nowitski,Shaquille O'Neal and whatever.

Im making my prediction NOW. Im not gonna wait 5 years and then be on some other shit.

Prycbilla is gonna start over this over-hyped cat.

I dont care if im proven wrong.

U can support him like Lloyd Banks.

• Grumpy ol' ass.....

• I dont care if im proven wrong.

Its easy to be down on big men who are taken at the top of the draft given some of the examples of late (Kwame Brown, Olowakandi, Bogut, etc.), but I don't see how you could lump Oden in with them yet. His statistics aren't to far off of Dwight Howard's for his rookie year. People are calling him out because he has been hyped for so long that people are forgetting that he is a rookie. Watching his interviews in the local media has become painful because you can see the pressure and expectation is getting to him. But lately he seems a little more at ease, and his game seems to be improving at a rapid rate. He will prove the haters wrong.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Its easy to be down on big men who are taken at the top of the draft given some of the examples of late (Kwame Brown, Olowakandi, Bogut, etc.), but I don't see how you could lump Oden in with them yet. His statistics aren't to far off of Dwight Howard's for his rookie year. People are calling him out because he has been hyped for so long that people are forgetting that he is a rookie. Watching his interviews in the local media has become painful because you can see the pressure and expectation is getting to him. But lately he seems a little more at ease, and his game seems to be improving at a rapid rate. He will prove the haters wrong.

I think Oden is the opposite of the generic baby faced, hard nosed and court savvy little dude, he's huge, mature looking and looks mean and but is still a little timid.

If dude can get mean/aggressive he'll be scary.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Prycbilla

I like that dude.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I think Oden is the opposite of the generic baby faced, hard nosed and court savvy little dude, he's huge, mature looking and looks mean and but is still a little timid.

If dude can get mean/aggressive he'll be scary.

This is what im sayin.

Can u name someone who all of a sudden got hungry after 5 years?

Jermaine O'Neal marinated for a minute but learned under Rasheed who wasnt timid out the gate. Dude exploded in Indiana.

Garnett wasnt timid out the gate.

Are we lookin at a slow burner like the Caman in L.A.?

Or are we talmbout a Mutombo who is a defensive game changer?

We talkin about Camby who was shook for 10 years until he got over the injury bug and bloosomed unto a defensive threat?

Muthafuskin' Roy Hibbert is lookin better than Oden.

I guess im just really addressin the hype. Cause Shaq came out the gate like a true MONSTER in this game.
    There was no - "lets wait awhile and see what happens" nonsense.

Yuo cant tell me the NBA hasnt been bankin on this dude blowin up on TV.
    Shit, that was last year and dude was like "my neck - my back.."

I like Portland alot, but damn if this cat isnt up to speed.
    And NO - he's no Dwight Howard. Just Stop w/ that shit.

Ewing was a beast out the gate and he played PF cause Cartwright was the starter.

Blahblahblah...hatt me.

• Look man, all that you typed might be true but it still doesn't make calling a dude who has played one year and a quarter over the level of HS a "bum" given his physical attributes any less of a stretch.

And plaese not to use a physical freak like the Diesel as a point of comparison to all but the most elite of elite.

8 points, 7 boards, 1.3 blocks in 22 minutes ain't bad. Especially considering he has close to no post-up game (yet) and doesn't get that many touches (yet). When the former develops, the latter should obviously increase. I mean even though he was selected #1 overall, I don't think anyone was expecting him to start beasting. That 7 footer on Uconn this year, reminds me of what Oden was doing in college- blocking shots and rebounding, mostly. Buckets were like a bonus.

Bynum started making a lot of noise since last year and he's holding his own, but Pau Gasol is the real workhorse. Different roles and different times. I mean, I don't it's fair to expect them to be an Olajuwon or Duncan or Shaq. The games are played a lot faster, and it's probably no coincidence that there's an abundance of good guards in the league right now and not enough good bigs.

Look man, all that you typed might be true but it still doesn't make calling a dude who has played one year and a quarter over the level of HS a "bum" given his physical attributes any less of a stretch.

And plaese not to use a physical freak like the Diesel as a point of comparison to all but the most elite of elite.

Ok.......Kevin Duckworth?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Look man, all that you typed might be true but it still doesn't make calling a dude who has played one year and a quarter over the level of HS a "bum" given his physical attributes any less of a stretch.

Ok.......Kevin Duckworth?

It was 3:1 odds you were gonna say James Donaldson.

Dudes are being picked out of college with ONE year, including Oden. In other words, BATMON, "MANAGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS".

8 points, 7 boards, 1.3 blocks in 22 minutes ain't bad. Especially considering he has close to no post-up game (yet) and doesn't get that many touches (yet). When the former develops, the latter should obviously increase. I mean even though he was selected #1 overall, I don't think anyone was expecting him to start beasting. That 7 footer on Uconn this year, reminds me of what Oden was doing in college- blocking shots and rebounding, mostly. Buckets were like a bonus.

Bynum started making a lot of noise since last year and he's holding his own, but Pau Gasol is the real workhorse. Different roles and different times. I mean, I don't it's fair to expect them to be an Olajuwon or Duncan or Shaq. The games are played a lot faster, and it's probably no coincidence that there's an abundance of good guards in the league right now and not enough good bigs.

I feel u on the speed thang and how Bigs arent incorporated they way they were, UNLESS your Bigs are doin it, like Howard.

I don't think anyone was expecting him to start beasting.

Now that's crazytawk. The L was hyping this dude up like there was no tommorrow and then he gets injured....fine. Then he comes back and has confidence issues?
    Im not seein that. Your picked No.1 and your on some soft-shell crab steez.
    Hell the fusk no. That tells me there's somethin wrong w/ money's head.

Dudes are being picked out of college with ONE year, including Oden. In other words, BATMON, "MANAGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS".

The L has been pickin dudes since Moses Malone. This aint new.

Cats sat down w/ him and he agreed to join this game.

O.J. Mayo is doin quite well.

Garnett(H.S) came in when the Defense was hella harder and he's killed shit.

LeBoring? Anyone?

Dont give me that "they shoulda done 4 years" crap.

That part of the game is too well oiled at this point to use that as an excuse.

Fusk College. If u can play w/ men, u sign up. No qualms.

So what, Oden isnt a "Freak of Nature"?
    "He deserves a full season to fully critque his swag."

• The L was hyping this dude up like there was no tommorrow

What are they supposed to do? #1 pick related. You say bum, I say slow developer who is already showing flashes.

Look man, how do you win w/ the Batmon? You hate on Lebron and he has probably exceeded the hype laid at his feet.

How good is OJ Mayo?

Howard

Haven't seen enough of him to comment.

The L was hyping this dude up like there was no tommorrow

That ain't Oden's fault.

Mike Conley Jr. was picked #4 but no one's gonna say "bust" cuz he wasn't hyped as much. Hype ain't the player's fault!

• Dudes are being picked out of college with ONE year, including Oden. In other words, BATMON, "MANAGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS".

The L has been pickin dudes since Moses Malone. This aint new.

Cats sat down w/ him and he agreed to join this game.

O.J. Mayo is doin quite well.

Garnett(H.S) came in when the Defense was hella harder and he's killed shit.

LeBoring? Anyone?

Dont give me that "they shoulda done 4 years" crap.

That part of the game is too well oiled at this point to use that as an excuse.

Fusk College. If u can play w/ men, u sign up. No qualms.

So what, Oden isnt a "Freak of Nature"?
    "He deserves a full season to fully critque his swag."

KG took a lil' minute but his maturation was one of the quickest.

LOOK MAN WE GET IT. DO YOU WANT HIM KICKED OUT OF THE LEAGUE? LET GREG ODEN EAT.

Ok - Ill back off.

Give me a prediction?

20/10/3 blks in 3 years?

How good is OJ Mayo?

He can score. But like all inexperienced players, he's inconsistent on both ends. I'm rooting for the kid.

20/10/3 blks in 3 years?

That's about all-time great numbers in 3 years...not gonna happen. Perhaps never gonna happen, but that doesn't mean he was a bust.

How good is OJ Mayo?

He can score. But like all inexperienced players, he's inconsistent on both ends. I'm rooting for the kid.

???I think the world of him,??? Bryant said. ???I think he???s extremely talented. I think he has a great overall game that a lot of young players don???t have in terms of skills. He can handle, he can shoot, he can pass, he???s fast, he???s quick, so that???s the whole package.???

• Ok - Ill back off.

Give me a prediction?

20/10/3 blks in 3 years?

I think that's totally doable.

What's good folkers? 2008 has been a crazy year for the kid. I'm behind on my NBA. But NFL is over and my homeboy has the League Pass. Just when the Mavs are roundin' in to shape. I do know that Brandon Roy is a beast. JJ Barea 4 Life.

JJ Barea 4 Life.

Out East:

1) Boston
    2) Cleveland
    3) Orlando

**Wildcard: Atlanta?

Do the standings reflect how good they are? I think so.

• Out East:

1) Boston
    2) Cleveland
    3) Orlando

**Wildcard: Atlanta?

Do the standings reflect how good they are? I think so.

Detroit is gonna make a run at some point, they have too many good players and too many cranky veterans to not make something happen (actually at 18-11 they aren't doing bad.)They will still fizzle in the playoffs though. Milaukee and New Jersey seem like the kind of teams that could come in as a low seed and knock out a playoff favorite like Golden State did last year.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Oden looks to be a good center, but I'm not sure greatness. He still doesn't really have much of an offensive game at all. Still, BATMON is giving him no quarter yet his numbers are comparable to other big men in their rookie yeaer mentioned in this thread, plus the DUDE HAS ONLY PLYED 25 GAMES!!!![/b] Way to predict his future.

Oden: 25 g, 22.4 mpg, 53%FG, 65%FT, 7.3 rpg, 1.3 bpg, 7.9 ppg
    D. Howard: 82 g, 32.6 mpg, 52%FG, 67%FT, 10.0 rpg, 1.7 bpg, 12 ppg
    A. Bynum: 46 g, 7.3 mpg, 40%FG, 29%FT, 1.7 rpg, 0.5 bpg, 1.6 ppg
    K. Garnett: 80 g, 28.7 mpg, 49%FG, 70%FT, 6.3 rpg, 1.6 bpg, 10.4 ppg

Oden looks to be a good center, but I'm not sure greatness. He still doesn't really have much of an offensive game at all. Still, BATMON is giving him no quarter yet his numbers are comparable to other big men in their rookie yeaer mentioned in this thread, plus the DUDE HAS ONLY PLYED 25 GAMES!!!![/b] Way to predict his future.

NUMBERS DONT TELL THE WHOLE STORY!

THE REGULAR SEASON DONT MEAN SHIT!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Oden looks to be a good center, but I'm not sure greatness. He still doesn't really have much of an offensive game at all. Still, BATMON is giving him no quarter yet his numbers are comparable to other big men in their rookie year mentioned in this thread, plus the DUDE HAS ONLY PLYED 25 GAMES!!!![/b] Way to predict his future.

NUMBERS DONT TELL THE WHOLE STORY!

THE REGULAR SEASON DONT MEAN SHIT!

Yeah, and how many of them went to the playoffs their rookie season?

And in seriousness numbers for big men are actually pretty good indicators unlike perimeter players. You want good rebounding and a high FG%.