Best requests you’ve gotten while DJing

TheeeCasualMaleTheeeCasualMale 2,564 Posts
edited July 2005 in DJ Talk / Mixes
So we've done the "worst requests" threads to death.
We all know you had someone request hip hop while you were playing hip hop, someone ask you to "play something good," yeah yeah yeaaaaaah. Let's hear about the requests that were worthy of a drink ticket.

Here are some of my favorites...

1. "Can you turn up the bass?"

2. "Do you have any Meters?"
as "Handclapping Song" was cued up and ready to go on the next turntable.

3. "I just came up here to dance and keep you company."

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts

That will go down in history as the bestest shit of all time.

Someone once stuffed $75 in my record bag with a note that said "YOU DESERVE IT!".

It's no SPANKIT BODACIOUS, but that was pretty cool.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

3. "I just came up here to dance and keep you company."

That was a good one.

• manchildmanchild 56 Posts
    was spinning hip hop on uni radio and a dude calls and requests main source 'live at the bbq' as i'm cueing it. and i only ever got calls from suckers wanting 50 cent and beyonce. dude got one hell of a shout out

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I've recieved $100 tips more then once and one night, no joke this guy comes up to me and says "Play G-Unit" and drops $400 down on the turntable! I've had girls give me notes with their numbers, invites to exclusive events etc. Just last week this older man comes up and says: "Oh shit I should have known" !!!! He was gonna tell me I was the best dj he has ever heard then he said he should have known it was me. This makes up for the CRAP! I also play this club where the entrance to the dj booth blends in with the wall and I'm up in the air, so no one knows how the hell I get up there or how to. This means they can't bug me, talk to me or make dumb ass requests!!! They try to get my attention and I just pretend I don't see them.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    this cute asian bartender chick at the lounge I was playing at asked for Trinikas "remember me".

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    this cute asian bartender chick at the lounge I was playing at asked for Trinikas "remember me".

• this cute asian bartender chick at the lounge I was playing at asked for Trinikas "remember me".

i hope you asked her to marry you right then and there.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

i hope you asked her to marry you right then and there.

nerd dj bubble burst..........she had a bf

wah wah wah

very cool request nonetheless, it'll be pretty hard to top that one.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    maybe they were having arguments....it was a hint to you.

• exactly. bartender was the one who needed you / believed in you.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    dam I just threw away a napkin that said "PLAY SOME MAC DRE".

Catchdubs & Ross Hogg both would of squirted if they ever saw it.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Yo speaking of gangsterisms - if anyone needs a Gangsta Pat - Shootin' On Narcs/I'm Tha Gangsta or a Mac Mall - Ghetto Theme 12" hollero.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    wasn't so much a request but one time when i played Spanky Wilson's cover of "sunshine of your love", just as the track was ending the bartender (whom i was pretty freindly with) brought me a cocktail and said "those girls over there (points at 2 very hot and one pudgey but cute girl) want you to play more spanky". First i was i impressed that they knew who it was, then i was dissapointed as i realized that sunshine was the only track i had with me.

• SpinatraSpinatra 39 Posts
    50 + male leans in about 2mm from my face: "Play I'm a Survivor"
    Me: "Sorry, I don't have any Destiny's child"
    50 + male: "NO, PLAY I'M A SURVIVOR"
    Me: "I don't have it"
    50+ Male proceeds to grab tonearm leaving a nice big mark across Curtis - Tripping Out. Music stops but most people are too drunk to notice. Bouncers drag him out kicking and screaming... sucker

• - Me playing a funk set -

Annoying girl: "Can you play something with... words?"

• pasepase 89 Posts
    The owner at the club I used to play at always wanted to hear "bra" by cymande. I think he saw 25th hour and decided he wanted his club to be like that. I surely had no problems with that...anyway... I used to get good requests from these two hot girls all the time. we eventually became friends, but I shitted all over that situation. when I met them they requested "action" as I had it qued. I was in the middle of some dancehall. so we got friendly real quick. I liked the one that didn't like me of course... by the time I switched to the other one she was engaged! whoops.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    50 + male leans in about 2mm from my face: "Play I'm a Survivor"
    Me: "Sorry, I don't have any Destiny's child"
    50 + male: "NO, PLAY I'M A SURVIVOR"
    Me: "I don't have it"
    50+ Male proceeds to grab tonearm leaving a nice big mark across Curtis - Tripping Out. Music stops but most people are too drunk to notice. Bouncers drag him out kicking and screaming... sucker

hahahahaha

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    FUN

"This is Katherine Hamnett and Joe Casely-Hayford"
    "Oh! Wow. Hi."
    "London needs you! You should come and play all our after parties! Cooommmmmmmeeeeee!! Come back with us tomorrow!"
    (they were so drunk that they couldn't stand up straight and I had to keep easing them and their drinks away from the turntables. Hamnett left her video camera behind, just sitting on the bar, and the bartender had to run after the limo to stop them and give it back. They both gave me their hotel phone numbers and business cards, but I didn't take them too seriously)

NOT FUN

"I love what you're playing - can you make me a mix?"
    "Sure."
    "At my house?"
    "Huh?"
    "How about you bring your records over and make the tape at my house?"
    "No."

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I once had a german girl ask me for Mark Morrison.
    I know that doesnt sound funny.. but she looked like she probably could kick the shit out of me, I mean she was BIG (probably worked as a lumberjack or sumthing), and talked with a very heavy german/arnold-ish accent. It still cracks me up when I think of her.

[heavy german accent]"Doo you have Marck Morrizon, return of ze Mack?"[/german accent]

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

NOT FUN

"I love what you're playing - can you make me a mix?"
    "Sure."
    "At my house?"
    "Huh?"
    "How about you bring your records over and make the tape at my house?"
    "No."

Now Now... I told you... I was 100% legit on that.

• Oh and one time, while I was playing Sugar Billy's "Are You Diggin On Me," the two people
    dancing early on in the night come up and ask me:

"When this song is over, can you play it again?"

Of course I did.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    We have a few regulars of the mod/scooter/skinhead variety so these get requested fairly often

- Lulu "Try To Understand"
    - Guitar Ray "You're Gonna Wreck My Life"
    - Jacques Dutronc "J'ai tout lu, tout vu, tout bu"
    - Boris Gardner "My Commanding Wife"

Once at my bar gig, this guy whose wedding I was going to DJ (he only knew me through my gigs and wanted me to spin because I played soul music) came up after Little Milton's "Just A Little Bit," pointed at the 45 on the platter and said "I want you to play THAT ONE at our wedding!"

But the best request I got was from this cute chick who'd only been to one of our nights before, but came back the next month and said "Are you going to play that song that says 'You better TCB or TYA?' I loved that one!"

BEST TIP EVAR
    Once Cowbwoy and I looked in the tip bucket and along with about $10, there was a plastic chicken head.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Cool C "Glamours Life" by some random white girl.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I liked the one that didn't like me of course... by the time I switched to the other one she was engaged! whoops.

Story of my life.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

That's because they all think it'd be funny to ask the DJ to play his own song.

• dam I just threw away a napkin that said "PLAY SOME MAC DRE".

Catchdubs & Ross Hogg both would of squirted if they ever saw it.

Was it a request for "Young Black Brotha"?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Once at my bar gig, this guy whose wedding I was going to DJ (he only knew me through my gigs and wanted me to spin because I played soul music) came up after Little Milton's "Just A Little Bit," pointed at the 45 on the platter and said "I want you to play THAT ONE at our wedding!"

But the best request I got was from this cute chick who'd only been to one of our nights before, but came back the next month and said "Are you going to play that song that says 'You better TCB or TYA?' I loved that one!"

have ya'll been stealing my playlists?

my favorite request:

do ya want a shot of Jack Daniels?

seriously, there is this beautiful girl, Erika, who always asks for Bardot's "Contact" or Gal Costa's "Tuareg"..and I am always happy to oblige.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    seriously, there is this beautiful alien girl Erika with space dust disease and mercury deficiency who always asks for Bardot's "Contact"

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

That's because they all think it'd be funny to ask the DJ to play his own song.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    these get requested fairly often

- Guitar Ray "You're Gonna Wreck My Life"

I'd like to request... that you send this to my house