In Honor of The Pope

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central

Sarah Vaughan - The Mystery of Man

Sarah Vaughan sings 'One World One Peace'
The Poems of Pope John Paul II

A souvenir album for Peace, to commemorate the visit to Australia and New Zealand by Pope John Paul II in November 1986

Orchestra conducted by Lalo Schifrin

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The Pope was a very complicated man. Like a lot of people he wasn't all good nor all bad.

On the good side, he spoke up about the poor and was a vocal opponent of the Iraq war.

On the bad side, he was a staunch social conservative who was against female priests, priests getting married, gay rights, abortion, etc.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Yeah, learning about his story after his death is making me like him a bit more. I hope I don't someday feel that way about Reagan.

• Don't know anything about the guy, nor have I considered myself Catholic for many years, but hey, NewsStrut and all....

Cardinal Ratzinger of Germany Is New Pope[/b]

By WILLIAM J. KOLE, Associated Press Writer

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

(04-19) 09:50 PDT VATICAN CITY, (AP) --

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany, a longtime guardian of doctrinal orthodoxy, was elected the new pope Tuesday evening in the first conclave of the new millennium. He chose the name Pope Benedict XVI.

Ratzinger, the first German pope in centuries, served John Paul II since 1981 as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. In that position, he has disciplined church dissidents and upheld church policy against attempts by liberals for reforms. He turned 78 on Saturday.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Cardinal Ratzinger of Germany Is New Pope

news says also that he was in the Hitler Youth.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Cardinal Ratzinger of Germany Is New Pope

news says also that he was in the Hitler Youth.

When membership of it was compulsory, yes. Not that the guy's exactly what you'd call "progressive" anyway.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Pope John Paul was a staunch conservative when it came to church gospels, discipline and authority. The previous Pope conducted Vatican II which said that the church should do more for the poor and be more progressive and catch up with modern trends. It led to a new church movement called "Liberation Theology" that led to a lot of priests in places like South America to help out the poor and object to the military dictatorships which basically ran the place in the 1970s and 1980s. Pope John Paul stopped all that and centralized authority back within the Vatican and tried to clamp down on priests who varied from the Pope's announcements on things like abortion, women priests, etc. To Pope John Paul Vatican II was a liberal reform movement that needed to be ended since he was a conservative that wanted to keep things the same.

Ratzinger was in charge of enforcing this orthodoxy within the church. He's another very socially conservative priest.

• Pope John Paul was a staunch conservative when it came to church gospels, discipline and authority. The previous Pope conducted Vatican II which said that the church should do more for the poor and be more progressive and catch up with modern trends. It led to a new church movement called "Liberation Theology" that led to a lot of priests in places like South America to help out the poor and object to the military dictatorships which basically ran the place in the 1970s and 1980s. Pope John Paul stopped all that and centralized authority back within the Vatican and tried to clamp down on priests who varied from the Pope's announcements on things like abortion, women priests, etc. To Pope John Paul Vatican II was a liberal reform movement that needed to be ended since he was a conservative that wanted to keep things the same.

Ratzinger was in charge of enforcing this orthodoxy within the church. He's another very socially conservative priest.

Actually it was three popes prior to John Paul 2 (John the 23rd to be exact) who initiated Vatican 2. He was followed by Paul the 6th, John Paul 1 and then John Paul 2.

Liberation Theology was a reaction to opressive regimes in the 3rd world, not directly related to Vatican 2 reforms. Certainly Vatican 2 made the church a more liberal/hospitable place but not to the extent of liberation theology.

One of my Dad's classmates in seminary (Miguel D'Escoto Brockman) was a key figure in the Sandinista government in Nicaragua.