turntablist question

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
say you had a long ass sample of the note "C" just played steady...by tweaking the pitch and fading out, is it possible to say compose something like the "twinkle twinkle little star" melody? just wondering, cause then you'd be able to do that with any sample as long as it was a constant note right?

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    You aren't serious, are you? They've been doing it for the past ten years. Pick up almost any DMC video.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    kid koala

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    kid koala DJ 8Ball

kidding

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    You aren't serious, are you? They've been doing it for the past ten years. Pick up almost any DMC video.

yeah im serious...i'm new to the tables, and having never really seen the art first hand, just listened to albums...but yeah i picked up a few dmc dvds, and i was kind of high when i saw scratch and i think i remember some guy playing guitar on a constant note, pressing it to vinyl and then tweaking it...but i just wanted to know if people do it to the extent of mimicking melodies rather than just doing cool wierd sounds....i would think that is difficult as phuck doing it seamless and turning a knob and knowing what note is coming out, especially if you went from like C to F and then D sharp or something within seconds...but i guess you'd fade it out...listen to it on your phones and then put the fader on again when u got the right sound?

• say you had a long ass sample of the note "C" just played steady...by tweaking the pitch and fading out, is it possible to say compose something like the "Mary had a little lamb" melody? just wondering, cause then you'd be able to do that with any sample as long as it was a constant note right?

kid koala

i was gonna say, i felt those vibes in "shine", damn the talent to do that

• 8-BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• dayday 9,611 Posts

yeah im serious...i'm new to the tables, and having never really seen the art first hand, just listened to albums...but yeah i picked up a few dmc dvds, and i was kind of high when i saw scratch and i think i remember some guy playing guitar on a constant note, pressing it to vinyl and then tweaking it...but i just wanted to know if people do it to the extent of mimicking melodies rather than just doing cool wierd sounds....i would think that is difficult as phuck doing it seamless and turning a knob and knowing what note is coming out, especially if you went from like C to F and then D sharp or something within seconds...but i guess you'd fade it out...listen to it on your phones and then put the fader on again when u got the right sound?

No, you'd take note of the pitch control amount and memorize it after repeated practices. For a longer melody you would probably have to write it down.

Don't do that shit though dude. Tones are kind of .

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Headphones are for wusses.

Also, if you want to know how to scratch like a turntablist just pick up Antimatter by Radar. It's all there in black and white, can't miss.

///// --> F-W-W-W-E-S-H \ F-W-E F-W-E F-W-E //// errit, errit.

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    say you had a long ass sample of the note "C" just played steady...by tweaking the pitch and fading out, is it possible to say compose something like the "twinkle twinkle little star" melody? just wondering, cause then you'd be able to do that with any sample as long as it was a constant note right?

The real question would be WHY.

lol, thanks for the info. like i said before totally new to this sheit, and i was trying to gain a deeper appreciation of mix master mike's anti-theft device and qbert's wave twisters...sonically they're so deep, and i was just trying to understand their thought processes melodically as opposed to rhythmic as they do make instruments out of turntables
    peace

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    8-Ball killed it in that NMS battle... also when he showcased at the end against Mixmaster Mike...

peace.

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    8-Ball killed it in that NMS battle... also when he showcased at the end against Mixmaster Mike...

peace.

Video Link?

• say you had a long ass sample of the note "C" just played steady...by tweaking the pitch and fading out, is it possible to say compose something like the "twinkle twinkle little star" melody? just wondering, cause then you'd be able to do that with any sample as long as it was a constant note right?

If possible you should check out Dj Radar and his symphony for the turntable. i saw a few years ago but he has been travelling and performing it in alot of large and prestigous venues around the world.

• sleepsleep 54 Posts
    i think i remember some guy playing guitar on a constant note, pressing it to vinyl and then tweaking it...

there's also whole records of tones at different pitches so you can create melodies by needle dropping

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    i think i remember some guy playing guitar on a constant note, pressing it to vinyl and then tweaking it...

there's also whole records of tones at different pitches so you can create melodies by needle dropping

DJ Swamp put out one of those.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

No, you'd take note of the pitch control amount and memorize it after repeated practices. For a longer melody you would probably have to write it down.

Don't do that shit though dude. Tones are kind of .

Yeah, dont do it's played. Unless you do it to make a bass line. A lot of the old dirt style records have bass tones as a locked groove at the end of each side use those to make a bass line.

• djdepositdjdeposit 224 Posts

You can do sesame street with that one!^^^^^

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    qbert