badly badly scratched records

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited July 2005 in Record Collecting
how in the hell do records get this way...I mean just demolished, so scratched they are grey...some dude just brought in about 700 records, a good third of them were solid heat(or least records that would sell quickly) Roy Ayres, Blue Notes, Impulses, black label Kings, old Kool and the Gang, lots of good, sellable $20-$50 pieces, IF THEY WERENT DESTROYED. I mean, I have records I bought when I was 11 years old, and I didnt know how to take care of records then, and those records arent beat to shit like these. I just dont how records get that messed up. Gave him $40 for about 70 LPs I think I can salvage, that were just dirty as hell, not scrathed up...but goddamn, even if you never ever put the record back in the jacket and ashed your cigs on them they wouldnt have been destroyed like this...just sayin'...

Comments

• FAGTILLOFAGTILLO 33 Posts

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I want to know this too. Also: how do so many motherfuckers be getting candle wax on records? What the fuck is up with that?!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    This thread just proves what an outdated and useless medium vinyl is. Time to get over this lame fetish. The future is now folks:

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    It's the old brillo pad - record brush swap trick.
    Or playing records on a band saw, that will do it every time.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Household Hint to all prospective previous owners of my future vinyls:

Instead of placing them naked on the floor, you might want to try leaving your records in the sleeves when repainting the family room white. Taking the records out of the room altogether might be an even wiser idea!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Man, I've seen a lot... if it's too raer I gotta grab it anyway, like my Marva Whitney LP where one track is playable. Things gotta get better, so could be worse!

But anyway, I've found loads like that, and to make it worse, some of the sleeves are VG++ in shrink! The mind boggles.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I want to know this too. Also: how do so many motherfuckers be getting candle wax on records?

Do you find that this is most problematic when dealing with Erykah Badu, Marvin Gaye, Bauhaus, and Morbid Angel records?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I want to know this too. Also: how do so many motherfuckers be getting candle wax on records? What the fuck is up with that?!

i have done this WAY too many times DJing in bar/lounges and using a candle as a light source... hot water will usually get it out...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    placing them naked on the floor

+ walking on them,
    where i use to work many raers met this fate,
    dudes were just stupid, respect the play box & the stock
    bitches

shangri la would be a place with nice clean racked records
    paradise on madison

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I want to know this too. Also: how do so many motherfuckers be getting candle wax on records?

Do you find that this is most problematic when dealing with Erykah Badu, Marvin Gaye, Bauhaus, and Morbid Angel records?

YAH

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    placing them naked on the floor

+ walking on them,
    where i use to work many raers met this fate,
    dudes were just stupid, respect the play box & the stock
    bitches

shangri la would be a place with nice clean racked records
    paradise on madison

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I can speak from experience - when I was 15 years old and an idiot, I used to just take my records and throw them on the floor. I loved them, played them to death, but I was just too cool for school and was all about nihlistic behavior...that is why every good OG hip hop, punk whatever record I had in the 80's - and I had a LOT of them - is pretty much gone forever, looks like those disasters you pull out of bargain bins like "wha?. I had that Beatles UK box set with all the LP's that I got for like my 16th birthday...only one of the 13 LP's "survives," and it is unplayable. It took until almost 5 years ago, basically 15 years after I had learned to stop ruining everything that I touched, for my Dad to even let me handle his records again, because I destroyed so many of his when I was a kid...

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    got the timeless legend 45 on dawn lite. not even 1 second of it will play through. shit is fuxxed up.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I have a window display of 'detroit 45 raers in unplayable condition' - at least destroyed 45s have decorative value - shredded & moldy covers on the wall = ugly as sin.

---

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    my copy of the chefs is almost in there.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I just found about five hundred 45s in a garbage can yesterday and all of them are beat to hell. They also smell like dog shit, thats because some were in a suitcase that had dog shit in it. I didnt find out till I got home. Almost all are heat, but none will ever play right.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I just found about five hundred 45s...Almost all are heat

That cannot possibly be true.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Stack them up 5 at a time. Play them non stop for a week, just flip the stack over when you have heard side a and listen to 5 side bs. Make sure the turntable is on a wobbly table with one leg on a loose floor board. Invite your friends over to dance them. When everyone is danced out put the records on the coffee table and repeat with 5 late night grooves as your friends use the first five as coasters and ashtrays. Put them away for 30 years.

Take them to your local record store. Be sure to tell the buyer that they are all mint because "they have not been played for 30 years". Be sure to ask "do they have to be in the covers?"

If this sounds farfetched to you, you have never been to an old school dance party or worked in a record store.

• I have a Eddie Bo "Hook & Sling" that looks like it was used to spackle somebody's wall.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    clean records with 40-60 grit sandpaper with comet and bleach using small circular motions. peace, stein. . .

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Neatly break the seal on your mint copy of Thrust.

Remove the record and place on any good gravel surface.

Get a bike.

Ride the bike over the record at a moderate speed and apply the back brake when it comes into contact with it.

You should hear a very expensive sound as your bike literally drags the record a yard or two over the gravel......

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Pretty much. One of the most flagrant examples, though, is my Lord of the Rings 4LP box set read by Mr. Tolkein. Someone clearly put a big fat scented candle right on top of the box and let it burn until all 4 discs had been listened to.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    how in the hell do records get this way...
    Making Cactus Phonograph Needles
    By Bill Finch

During the war (W.W.II) we lived in a rented house and the landlady's
    daughter, Vivian, had a wind-up acoustic phonograph. Vivian told me
    that I could play her records but that I had to supply my own needle.
    Vivian was 16 and had to buy her needles with her allowance. I was 10
    and had no allowance.

To make a long story short I experimented with cactus needles. The
    sound was fairly mellow and they lasted for about two plays. I found
    that I could extend the life to about five plays if I soaked them in
    shellac for about a week and then baked them in my mother's oven for
    about 15 minutes. The sound from these treated needles was fairly
    bright.

I ended up giving a batch to Vivian in trade for her copy of "Der
    Fuhrer's Face" by Spike Jones. (You really had to be there at that
    time to appreciate it). I still have the record and an aspirin tin
    full of treated cactus needles.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    I think I can salvage, that were just dirty as hell, not scrathed up

I'm pricing some of these right now. It's been "Let's take our Barbara Streisand Christmas albums to Shangri-La today! They'll probablly give us $3-$5 a piece for them!"

I think I can salvage, that were just dirty as hell, not scrathed up

I'm pricing some of these right now. It's been "Let's take our Barbara Streisand Christmas albums to Shangri-La today! They'll probablly give us $3-$5 a piece for them!"

that midnighters has a gangsta ass cover, I didnt get chance to listen to it...it looked in ok shape..does it play ok?

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

that midnighters has a gangsta ass cover, I didnt get chance to listen to it...it looked in ok shape..does it play ok?

Deep fried rice crispies treats!
    And the Eddie Kendricks looks like this...

Deep fried rice crispies treats!
    And the Eddie Kendricks looks like this...

I was the only one working when those records came in and there were 8 customers asking me a bazillion questions, the phone was ringing off the hook and that goddamn dude whose wife makes those bags/purses out of the jackets kept asking "what can you do for me one these?", so I didnt really get chance to look at them closely, but put it this way...just imagine the what the joints I passed on looked like.