Dorando 45 pressing Question

2»

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    DUDE

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dear God... why didn't anyone tell me how facemeltingly amazing this single was?

Welcome to...2005?

As a Strutter, how did you manage not to hear it until now? I'm not clowning - I'm genuinely amazed.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I dunno... sweet soul isn't generally my thing, and I don't download music from blogs every day.

I dunno... sweet soul isn't generally my thing, and I don't download music from blogs every day.

Yeah but you read Soul Strut right? Darondo is like our favorite uncle 'round here!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Kinetic: catch up on your catch ups and grab one of those copies from Paycheck.

B/W

• any heads willing to explain what the Dorando 45s on the Ocampo label is all about?

any heads willing to explain what the Dorando 45s on the Ocampo label is all about?

What do you mean? He recorded 1-2 singles for Ocampo. All were comped on the Ubiquity anthology.

• There's one Darondo 45 on Ocampo, one on Af-fa World and one on Music City.

The Af-fa World ("Legs") is the rarest, no?

• If I had to guess I'd say Af-Fa World and Ocampo are about equally rare.

• Kinetic: catch up on your catch ups and grab one of those copies from Paycheck.

B/W

Is it just me or does he sound like Mr. Rogers in the first part of this clip ... I was waiting for him to start singing "Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood"

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    the Ocampo pressing was done by Leroy Smith who ran the Seaside (eugene blacknell), Luck, and other local labels with Mr Lyons. Smith/Lyons did a larger press than the Af-Fa World release that was done by Darondo and the dude who ran that label (whose name i cant remember). In my opinion, the "Legs" record is by far a waaaay harder catch than the Ocampo release. I have had the Ocampo 45 numerous times (probably 10-12) and dont own the "Legs" record which makes me sad...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'll cosign: "Legs" is def. the tougher pull.

I've held it once. That's about as close I've come to it.

• Dear God... why didn't anyone tell me how facemeltingly amazing this single was?

I heard it the other day and it... well... it melted my face away!

Nice tune that I surely enjoy, but not that outstanding IMO when you compare with what else is out there at $100. There are plenty of 45s that I am going to pay $100 for before I get this one.

• Bugging...

Dear God... why didn't anyone tell me how facemeltingly amazing this single was?

Nice tune that I surely enjoy, but not that outstanding IMO when you compare with what else is out there at $100. There are plenty of 45s that I am going to pay $100 for before I get this one.

Like what, pray tell?

• As stated NICE TUNE, but compared to other soul 45s at $100, I don't think it stands out that much. I listened to it several times since it was spoken so much about here, but I never felt like spending $100 on it even though I don't have a problem spending $100 on a record, and most of what I buy now is soul 45. But you never know, I may grow more into it with time....

I can understand that it might really hit your taste, and therefor it stands very much out to YOU. There is so much diversity in soul music.

Personally, I would pay $100 for these before I would buy Dorando for $100.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Bugging...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Are you kidding me? That Danelle Harris is boring & the Sam Dees is horrible. "Didn't I" has much more soul than those two 45s combined

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

That's fine. There's plenty of people who are willing to drop a C-note on these and I'm sure plenty more who will wish they had when this supply dries up. I don't know, perhaps someone's sitting on hundreds of copies and demand will taper off up before supply does but for now my wife is pretty damn thrilled with the one I bought for her.

The best part is, there's a high quality, legit reissue album that has the track on it so even if you're not willing to part with that much dough, you can still enjoy the track.

• and demand will taper off

Sort of hoping this happens! Ha. It's more than likely that I will find one around here before the demand ever tapers off.

I know it's already been cleared up, but to add to dudes talking about 'records' not being included in the 'logo':

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Are you kidding me? That Danelle Harris is boring & the Sam Dees is horrible. "Didn't I" has much more soul than those two 45s combined

I'd chalk it up to him being a Northern guy, but the Sam Dees is just inexplicable.

Class Northern: