suspended campaign ?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I dissent people. The reason there was a great depression was because the flow of credit dried up. 1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121BTW, while not being completely incorrect, this is 90% wrong.

• not that this has anything to do w/ our current discussion, but this local news article almost made ME cryb,121b,121a href="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08269/915002-470.stm" target="_blank"1Biden's emotions surface during visit in Greensburg

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121UHOH...
    b,121
    b,121Lawmakers from both parties in House, Senate say they have bailout deal; will take it to Treasury Secretary Paulson.1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121a href="http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/25/news/economy/deal_reached/index.htm?postversion=2008092513" target="_blank"1http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/25/news/economy/deal_reached/index.htm?postversion=2008092513

• img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hijack.gif" alt="" 21b,121b,121I just got a letter from George Costanza telling me to vote for Mark Warner. 1b,121b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Friend --
    b,121
    b,121 If you thought Seinfeld was a show about nothing, you should check out Congress. I can't remember such a lack of productivity since the summer of George.
    b,121
    b,121In all seriousness, the gridlock in Washington is extremely worrisome. This crowd has already set an all-time record for filibusters in a single Congress, and they're still in session! No matter how many good ideas are out there, if we can't move beyond the same partisan politics, not much is going to happen.
    b,121
    b,121That's why I'm throwing my full support behind Mark Warner. He hasn't just talked a good game. As governor, he actually walked the walk by working across the aisle to deliver results and turn Virginia's struggling economy around.
    b,121
    b,121I'm asking you to help elect Mark Warner and send his kind of leadership to Washington. With just a few days to go until the next big filing deadline, it's more important than ever that we show our support for his campaign. By making a contribution, you can demonstrate a strong commitment to pointing our country in a new direction.
    b,121
    b,121Please Donate $5 Before Midnight on September 30th.
    b,121
    b,121The 2008 elections are some of the most important we'll ever live through. There is just too much at stake to take anything for granted.
    b,121
    b,121And with the upcoming FEC deadline, this is also one of the most important moments for us to demonstrate the strength of Mark Warner's candidacy. So please, make a contribution.
    b,121
    b,121Please Donate $5 Before Midnight on September 30th.
    b,121
    b,121. . . and then enjoy serenity now.
    b,121
    b,121Thanks,
    b,121
    b,121Jason Alexander
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121UHOH...
    b,121
    b,121Lawmakers from both parties in House, Senate say they have bailout deal; will take it to Treasury Secretary Paulson.1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Thank God McCain was there to straighten out the logjam. Without his mavericness and bipardoniship nothing would have gotten done. Maybe he will be able to debate now!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121UHOH...
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Thank God McCain was there to straighten out the logjam. Without his mavericness and bipardoniship nothing would have gotten done. Maybe he will be able to debate now!
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I wonder what his excuse will be....he's a war hero you know! Were you arware of that?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    El*, glad your back, just wondering, do you feel comfortable with Palin as commander in chief? Do you think her level of experience in national security and the economy are adequate? How about her hiding from the media? I know your a Republican, but I seem to remember you stressing national security as more important than partisanship, and you gotta acknowledge that McCain could drop at any moment, right?b,121b,121Also, before you turn it around on Obama, he's been studying up on these issues for years, has been taking questions on them from reporters for 18 months now, and was vetted by the democratic primary voters. Genuinely interested in your feelings on a potential Palin administration...

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121UHOH...
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121I wonder what his excuse will be....he's a war hero you know! Were you arware of that?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Please - McCain will arrive at the debates to fanfare and claim that he was instrumental in obtaining Republican support.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Jesus, can we return this Sarcasmus dude for store credit?1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121JP, do I have to spell it out for you?1b,121b,121Vitamin comes on the list and waves the red (elephant) flag, name drops his conservative/Republican credentials (NRO, jetting to a conference in Indiana), he's voting R because its all about the Supreme Court and says forget the undecideds, its all about the base.b,121b,1211) If we take Vitamin at his word, he is a Republican true believer and it doesn't matter if they have a good candidate up on the ticket, he just has to have a pulse. So asking him questions about his candidates erratic performance these past few weeks or his flip-flop on so many issues is DOA. He just doesn't care. Better to laugh it off then get all bent out of shape about his positions. Debating him is beyond useless.b,121b,1212) Anyone following this race knows that the base of both parties are pretty much set (except in a few states) and that its all about the middle/undecideds. Why do you think McCain wants the do over? His poll numbers are tanking, and the swing state polls are starting to look ugly. Is anyone really wavering on voting on this list for their candidate of choice? Is anyone squishy here?b,121b,121So, can I take Vitamin seriously? Can I get all outraged by his posts? Nope, but I can mock them mercilessly.b,121b,121So trade me in. I have an opinion on my worth at the store. Not much. But get what you can.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Jesus, can we return this Sarcasmus dude for store credit?1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121JP, do I have to spell it out for you?1
    b,121
    b,121Vitamin comes on the list and waves the red (elephant) flag, name drops his conservative/Republican credentials (NRO, jetting to a conference in Indiana), he's voting R because its all about the Supreme Court and says forget the undecideds, its all about the base.
    b,121
    b,1211) If we take Vitamin at his word, he is a Republican true believer and it doesn't matter if they have a good candidate up on the ticket, he just has to have a pulse. So asking him questions about his candidates erratic performance these past few weeks or his flip-flop on so many issues is DOA. He just doesn't care. Better to laugh it off then get all bent out of shape about his positions. Debating him is beyond useless.
    b,121
    b,1212) Anyone following this race knows that the base of both parties are pretty much set (except in a few states) and that its all about the middle/undecideds. Why do you think McCain wants the do over? His poll numbers are tanking, and the swing state polls are starting to look ugly. Is anyone really wavering on voting on this list for their candidate of choice? Is anyone squishy here?
    b,121
    b,121So, can I take Vitamin seriously? Can I get all outraged by his posts? Nope, but I can mock them mercilessly.
    b,121
    b,121So trade me in. I have an opinion on my worth at the store. Not much. But get what you can.1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Dude, E*i may be a bit of a pot-stirrer and def of a different stripe politically, but he's got Strut bonafides. He didn't just materialize out of thin air. I am perturbed that he doesn't sound like his usually (somewhat)thoughtful self, but hey, shit happens

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121This is why anyone should vote for a president. The president appoints the federal government and judges. If you agree with Democrats on these things, then you should vote for the Democrat, even if he is a wheezing douche like John Kerry. If you think Republicans have better ideas, you should vote for the Republican. F*ck the swing voters. Make up your damn mind squishes.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Wow, this is like an evil universe version of Kala. Avatar has facial hair, check. Insulting names, check. Where's Kala you bastard. Give him back to us!
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121What are you talking about? At least Vitamin is standing with his crew -- and is providing real-world reasons to do so.1b,121b,121I wasn't crazy about John Kerry, even less enthusiastic about his candidacy in retrospect, but I cast my vote as such in 2004.1b,121b,121If ever there was an election where Republicans would not vote for the nominee of their party, this is it.1However, by and large, Republicans vote Republican. Crazy, I know.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Mocking those with differing opinions is truly the American Way.b,121b,121It's what makes us great.b,121b,121That and Dungeons & Dragons.

• Somehow, I think Saracenus is down with both.b,121b,121b,121I'll take Vitamin over this crap any day, there are plenty of liberal blogs where I can read people e-yell "McSAME" all day.

• Back on track, if I'm Obama, I start grinding hard all the way into the home stretch. I already know that he works pretty much 6 a.m. to midnight (at least) anyway, but if he stays on the offensive, it's going to go real well for him. b,121b,121Just looking at McCain -- he is starting to appear very tired and, worse, old. He doesn't look healthy at all and, going into the final stretch here, he's going to have to keep on his toes 24/7 and you can already tell that he is struggling -- which doesn't bold well for a man looking to be president. Back with a another football reference, Obama caught the Hail Mary pass; he might not have run it back for a TD just yet, but he needs to go into the No Huddle offense.

• Actually, bad metaphor. McCain already is running No Huddle, except the crowd is drowning out the play calls from the sidelines, and the man is not keeping it together at the line of scrimmage. OK, I am just going to stop here, haha.b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/badassbuddy_com-hammered.gif" alt="" 21

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Can Vitamin or anyone else hip me to some conservative blogs like The Huffington Post, DailyK, etc.?b,121b,121I haven't heard very many Repbulicans backing McCain on this suspension stunt and would love to hear what they are talking about right now.b,121b,121And is there any way that McCain not showing up tomorrow night could be a positive for him??

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121And is there
    any way that McCain not showing up tomorrow night could be a positive for him?? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121No. I can't see it, especially since they basically ironed out something without either one of them. Despite all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, part of me wants to see how bad the general public would feel it if we let them fail....I am a bit skeptical that all these 'Sign it now' guys like that Mad Money asshole are just looking to spare themselves, like they give a F*ck if the taxpayers lose money on the deal.b,121b,121I mean, does this really solve anything? Am I in the wrong thread?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Yeah, the best part of this to me is how McCain put his campaign at risk by trying to appear above the political process, when it's now looking more like he's irrelevant to the political process.b,121b,121img src="http://vivirlatino.com/i/2008/06/mccain_poor_guy.jpg"1

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Yeah, the best part of this to me is how McCain put his campaign at risk by trying to appear
    above the political process, when it's now looking more like he's irrelevant to the political process.b,121b,121img src="http://vivirlatino.com/i/2008/06/mccain_poor_guy.jpg"11b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah, good one john!

• a href="http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080520&content_id=1443605&oid=36019&vkey=6" target="_blank"1Someone in The Bronx has a sense of humor.../a1b,121b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121The Yankees announced yesterday that they were suspending their campaign for the American League pennant due to the dire state of the economy. "This is not the time for partisan attempts to win baseball games," said Hank Steinbrenner.1"I have called Commissioner Selig and suggested that the World Series be postponed or cancelled altogether until we have come up with a solution that unequivocally fixes everything."
    b,121
    b,121When it was pointed out to Mr.1Steinbrenner that the Yankees had already been eliminated from pennant consideration, he replied, "Yeah, so?"
    b,121
    b,121Asked for a comment, team captain Derek Jeter said, "Huh?"
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    a href="http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080520&content_id=1443605&oid=36019&vkey=6" target="_blank"1Someone in The Bronx has a sense of humor...
    /a1
    b,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121The Yankees announced yesterday that they were suspending their campaign for the American League pennant due to the dire state of the economy. "This is not the time for partisan attempts to win baseball games," said Hank Steinbrenner.1"I have called Commissioner Selig and suggested that the World Series be postponed or cancelled altogether until we have come up with a solution that unequivocally fixes everything."
    b,121
    b,121When it was pointed out to Mr.1Steinbrenner that the Yankees had already been eliminated from pennant consideration, he replied, "Yeah, so?"
    b,121
    b,121Asked for a comment, team captain Derek Jeter said, "Huh?"
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I'm siding with George on this one. The Yankees have been saying all season that they've been willing to do multiple playoffs all over the country. But now shit hits the fan and you want to do the playoffs?! You're thinking about baseball at a time like this?! I'm calling bias on all the MLB reporters, if they were doing their job and asking questions instead of lapping it up with the other side then we wouldn't be in this mess!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I repeat...b,121b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121McCain's decision to suspend, call a meeting in DC and move on, seems to have broken that deadlock. Yeah...
    right/b11b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/26/us/politics/26debatecnd.html?_r=1&hp=&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1222376559-Rwd8TDqzrSVlTvoDvK8s6A" target="_blank"1NY Times - Status of Debate Remains Uncertain/a11b,121b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    By the time Mr.1McCain arrived in Washington around noon, congressional leaders announced that a broad agreement had been reached/b11on a bailout package despite reluctance on the part of conservative Republicans in the House.b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Any other b.s. you want to kick while you're here? b,121b,121Vitamin, how, despite all the evidence pointing to this campaign being a complete joke, can you still vote for McCain?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The suspending the campaign move is exactly like the picking Palin one. They both change the topic when things are not looking good for McCain.1After the Democratic convention, Obama is flying high, they painted McCain as more of the same. He drops a bomb by picking a never heard of and for weeks it's all about Palin's personality. Banks are collapsing, people are freaked out about the economy, most commentators and pollsters say this will help Obama and the Democrats, McCain drops the second bomb, I'm going to be committed to fixing this crisis and my country and suspending the campaign until it's done. It's political theatrics, and I have to say he's played it well, although in the long run I think both will end up hurting him.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121So basically the only reason you are voting for mccain is because he is a republican.
    b,121
    b,121The one thing that will make him a better president than obama is that he will put more republicans in the white house. 1Thats the qualification that you are most impressed with.
    b,121
    b,121Thats fine, I just wanted to make sure.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121This is why anyone should vote for a president. The president appoints the federal government and judges. If you agree with Democrats on these things, then you should vote for the Democrat, even if he is a wheezing douche like John Kerry. If you think Republicans have better ideas, you should vote for the Republican. F*ck the swing voters. Make up your damn mind squishes.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121^^^ This looks like something I have said many times before, except switch around republican and democrats, and replace "wheezing douche" with decorated scholar.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    To go back to Letterman: that wasn't a slap, that was an evisceration. OUCH.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121So basically the only reason you are voting for mccain is because he is a republican.
    b,121
    b,121The one thing that will make him a better president than obama is that he will put more republicans in the white house. 1Thats the qualification that you are most impressed with.
    b,121
    b,121Thats fine, I just wanted to make sure.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121^^^ This looks like something I have said many times before, except switch around republican and democrats, and replace "wheezing douche" with decorated scholar.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Vitamin's little explanation has one big, gaping, fatal flaw: SARAH PALIN.b,121b,121All of a Pres' appointments (with the exception of the Supremes) have far lesser authority than does the VP in the (statistically likely) event that McCain is incapacitated.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121The suspending the campaign move is exactly like the picking Palin one. They both change the topic when things are not looking good for McCain.1After the Democratic convention, Obama is flying high, they painted McCain as more of the same. He drops a bomb by picking a never heard of and for weeks it's all about Palin's personality. Banks are collapsing, people are freaked out about the economy, most commentators and pollsters say this will help Obama and the Democrats, McCain drops the second bomb, I'm going to be committed to fixing this crisis and my country and suspending the campaign until it's done. It's political theatrics, and I have to say he's played it well, although in the long run I think both will end up hurting him.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121What he said.b,121b,121Palin is all ready starting to hurt him with independents. Today she actually talkedto reporters for 5 minutes. Amazing. b,121b,121Vitamin's response was totally cynical. "I am voting for a more conservative bureaucracy." Oi Vey.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121The suspending the campaign move is exactly like the picking Palin one. They both change the topic when things are not looking good for McCain.1After the Democratic convention, Obama is flying high, they painted McCain as more of the same. He drops a bomb by picking a never heard of and for weeks it's all about Palin's personality. Banks are collapsing, people are freaked out about the economy, most commentators and pollsters say this will help Obama and the Democrats, McCain drops the second bomb, I'm going to be committed to fixing this crisis and my country and suspending the campaign until it's done. It's political theatrics, and I have to say he's played it well, although in the long run I think both will end up hurting him.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121What he said.
    b,121
    b,121Palin is all ready starting to hurt him with independents. Today she actually talkedto reporters for 5 minutes. Amazing.
    b,121
    b,121Vitamin's response was totally cynical. "I am voting for a more conservative bureaucracy." Oi Vey.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah, if you are going to pull a cynical move like a female Republican VP, is too much to ask for one with some education and actual brains? She makes Bush look like f*cking Winston Churchill.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    What the hell is he doing?b,121b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Inside an intense White House meeting over the financial crisis on Thursday, where nearly every key player came to an agreement on the outlines of the bailout package, Sen. John McCain stuck out.
    b1The Republican candidate, according to sources with direct knowledge, sat quiet through most of the meeting, never offered specifics, and spoke only at the end to raise doubts about the rough compromise that the White House and congressional leaders were nearing.
    /b1
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121McCain's reluctance to jump on board the bailout agreement could throw the entire week-long negotiation into a tailspin. Sen. Chris Dodd, after leaving the White House, suggested on CNN that the tenuous process could be derailed by what he viewed as McCain's political motives.
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    "What happened here, basically, if you want an honest appraisal of the thing, we have been spending a lot of time and I am tired. I have spent almost seven straight days at this in trying to come out with a workout plan for our economy a rescue plan," said Dodd. "What this looked like to me was a rescue plan for John McCain for two hours and took us1away from the work we are trying to do today. Serious people trying to do serious work to come up with an answer."/b1b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121According to the source with knowledge of the White House gathering -- which featured both presidential candidates, congressional leaders and the President -- virtually ever key figure in the room, save McCain and GOP Sen. Richard Shelby, were in agreement over a revised version of Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson's plan.b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121Towards the end, McCain finally spoke up, mentioning a counter-proposal that had been offered by some conservative House Republicans, which would suspend the capital gains tax for two years and provide tax incentives to encourage firms that buy up bad debt. McCain did not discuss specifics of the plan, though, and was non-committal about supporting it. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/25/at-white-house-mccain-pla_n_129438.html" target="_blank"1http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/25/at-white-house-mccain-pla_n_129438.html/a1b,121b,121object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121What the hell is he doing?
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121I think that what it's come to is, to John McCain, NOTHING is more important, including the country's future, than becoming POTUS. He knows that if he loses he'll never have another chance, and he has convinced himself (or been convinced by others) that he "deserves" it. He's also surrounded by people who have a huge stake in maintaining the Republican/big business status quo.