What’s the first CD you ever bought? (RR)

Comments

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Blackstreet - Another Level
    because i liked No Diggity.

first rap was prolly...

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Operation Ivy

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

• I wasn't an early adaptor to compact disc either.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Black Moon. I didn't have a CD player until freshman year of college.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

It came in the long box that the environmentalists went apeshit about

Ahhh, the longboxes. In 1988 or so I remember having an argument with one of my best friends(probably the biggest music nerd I knew growing up and a template for much of my collect-itis) about how those longboxes were going to be 'worth $$ someday'. I scoffed, but he maintained that the original packaging was gonna be desirable just because it would no longer exist.

I wonder if he still has the longboxes to those Velvet Underground CDs we were so obsessed with getting to replace our outdated VU vinyl.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Ahhh, the longboxes. In 1988 or so I remember having an argument with one of my best friends(probably the biggest music nerd I knew growing up and a template for much of my collect-itis) about how those longboxes were going to be 'worth $$ someday'. I scoffed, but he maintained that the original packaging was gonna be desirable just because it would no longer exist.

I wonder if he still has the longboxes to those Velvet Underground CDs we were so obsessed with getting to replace our outdated VU vinyl.

man, I saved all of mine. Had some rare ones too: Metallicas 'garage days re-revisited' for example. I thought they were cool, and I used them as posters on my wall. I had a nice collection going untill mom ripped 'em all down. She was convinced that it was the music that was causing her 'perfect' son to rebel.

man, I saved all of mine. Had some rare ones too: Metallicas 'garage days re-revisited' for example. I thought they were cool, and I used them as posters on my wall. I had a nice collection going untill mom ripped 'em all down. She was convinced that it was the music that was causing her 'perfect' son to rebel.

A story old as time. My folks just thought I was a bit 'distracted' and 'preoccupied'.

Huh? Were you saying something?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

damn. at least I didn't have jesus jones

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I got a CD player for Christmas '85! Dont know what my parents were thinking giving a high-falootin'-fancy-piece of-technology to me, but alas, it is what I got. The next day went out and bought my first CDs(some demo CD full of classical music came with it):

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    My first CD purchase in 1987 was extremely weaksauce:

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    NoMeans No-Sex Mad

And the Diabolical B.I.Z

Bought these both on a shopping trip with grandma.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Proudly:

-e

• It came in the long box that the environmentalists went apeshit about

A story old as time. My folks just thought I was a bit 'distracted' and 'preoccupied'.

Longboxes are worth dough? I still see 'em in the used CD spots and flea markets from time to time

Longboxes are worth dough? I still see 'em in the used CD spots and flea markets from time to time

I don't think they are worth dough, no. I am sure that someone, somewhere might be looking for some specific box or artist, but on the whole I have not heard of there being any real unified demand or market for the longbox.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I don't think they are worth dough, no. I am sure that someone, somewhere might be looking for some specific box or artist, but on the whole I have not heard of there being any real unified demand or market for the longbox.
    I just caught the tail end of that. As I reported earlier, got my first CD (and CD player) in Jan. '93 - by April, those things were officially off the market. I was working in a record store during this time frame, and in a year's time, if we STILL had any longbox CD's lying around, it was one of the slowest sellers we had.

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    I think it was Bjork's "Debut" CD or either America's "Greatest Hits". My friends were doggin me about it. "Hey man, what up wit da' heavy metal music??!" is what they said to me...

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion I and II. that track from the T2 soundtrack was on constant replay.

• Longboxes are worth dough? I still see 'em in the used CD spots and flea markets from time to time

I just caught the tail end of that. As I reported earlier, got my first CD (and CD player) in Jan. '93 - by April, those things were officially off the market. I was working in a record store during this time frame, and in a year's time, if we STILL had any longbox CD's lying around, it was one of the slowest sellers we had.
    They still sell longbox CDs in warehouse stores like BJs and Costco...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet

They still sell longbox CDs in warehouse stores like BJs and Costco...
    hey, that's right! I totally spaced that.

• blaqsoulblaqsoul 61 Posts

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    first cd: Eddie Bo on Tuff City - while in new orleans in 96 (maybe later?) i could only play it at work because i didnt have a cd player.

second cd: Turf Talk - i think i got this last year.

third cd: Twista - got this a few weeks after the Turf Talk.

thats it! however i may have bought a few cds here and there from kids who were trying to slang their music at shows or whatnot... at the store though, those three are it.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    Do I hafta say?? but..but..oh o.k. Kansas- Leftoverture

"But mom it's not mine,I was holding it for a freind".