Tokyo, Japan Inquiry

2»

Comments

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121thanks allot man. have you got any advice for navigating the city if street address don't work well there? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Ask someone or know someone. Beyond that, Google (map/Earth) it. I'm not being flip - I was fortunate to have my woman (who grew up there) as a guide. Otherwise, I'd have been lost. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121the numbering is really weird, i ended up using a fairly detailed street map of tokyo to find my bearings. The police booths also seem to be very useful, just ask for landmarks i.e. a wendys, a lawsons station or whatever.b,121b,121perhaps a handheld gps unit? good luck.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121go to shibuya, kichijyouji, and shimokitazawab,121b,121lots of shops in all 3 places b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121No, no records in Kichijoji b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121I've only been to RARE in Kichijoji and that was pretty good. According to the latest Record Map there are 9 stores there. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121what's this Record Map you speak of?b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game02vy9.gif" alt="" 21

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    You can buy a book called the record map, which used to be as thick as a phone book, listing record stores all over Japan, not just Tokyo... essential reading img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121The thing about Tokyo is that you will run out of money before you run out of shops to visit. I guarantee this with the only exception being those with baller status.b,121b,121All of the above mentioned places recently had spots close down, but for real Disk unions are always a sure thing, and they seem to have carried on unchecked by the advent of microwave. Sadly Spice, Sounds of Blackness, Cisco, etc weren't so lucky (all were dope stores in Shibuya). For bang for buck I'd do Shinjuku and Shibuya, tons of spots in a small area - there are like 7 Disk unions in one street in Shinjuku. In Kichijoji and Shimo Kitazawa the spots are a bit harder to find, although both areas have good Disk unions. Kichijoji is the mad spot for vintage sneakers (mostly Nikes) as well if that's your thing. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Disk Union in Shimo Kitazawa:b,121b,121img src="http://www.theuie.com/mp3/CIMG2440webb.jpg.off"1b,121b,121I was there last fall and the selection of 80's-90's hip hop was on point and priced reasonably.

• last months thread had good suggestions.b,121I think the building with muro's shop got torn down a few weeks ago.b,121Would write more, but still on a rain drenched Okinawa vacation till next week.b,121Have we never done a proper Tokyo Strutter rollcall?b,121Meidaimae (Keio sen) resident, here.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121last months thread had good suggestions.b,121I think the building with muro's shop got torn down a few weeks ago.b,121Would write more, but still on a rain drenched Okinawa vacation till next week.b,121Have we never done a proper Tokyo Strutter rollcall?b,121Meidaimae (Keio sen) resident, here. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121cool....Im 3 stops down from you on the rapid Inokashira-sen (Kichijoji) img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21b,121And I was in Okinawa for hols about two weeks ago. Sorry to tell you, but the weather was great.b,121I think I got out just before the rain.b,121b,121You check out Modern Music much?

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121last months thread had good suggestions.b,121I think the building with muro's shop got torn down a few weeks ago.b,121Would write more, but still on a rain drenched Okinawa vacation till next week.b,121Have we never done a proper Tokyo Strutter rollcall?b,121Meidaimae (Keio sen) resident, here. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Meidaimae!! Word, taught at the Nova there as a subsitute one day...b,121b,121I'll be out there shortly for an undetermined amount of time, holla anyone going to Tokyo or out there and we'll raid an izakaya...b,121b,121b

• Lucky for you!b,121Been to Modern Music, but walked out with some Hirayama Miki rather than some Nurse With Wound type of shit.b,121To keep the thread going, check out EAD Records in Koenji for disco 12"s and great (although tiny) record shop atmosphere. The sound system is as nice as the owner, and Yozo san seems to always play a casual but carefully selected record shopping soundtrack every time Im in there. Saabisu da yo.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Lucky for you!b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121no

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Lucky for you!b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121no b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I think he was replying to me.b,121b,121BTW, teenage-werwolf, did you go to the aquarium in Okinawa?b,121Im not really one for aquariums myself, but that place is amazing.b,121Well worthing checking, especially if the beaches are a bit rained out.b,121b,121*Edit: oh, actually it's more like a typhoon down there at the moment isnt it?b,121Slightly more than "a bit rained out" i'd guess. Roads prolly arnt so safe either.b,121Stay safe.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Really i was there three weeks ago and it was still there.b,121Althought their was heaps of building work all around it.

• Yes, "lucky you" regarding good weather in Okinawa, not working in Meidaimae (although that sounds like a glorious blessing from the sweet lord as well).b,121b,121Yes, we checked out the aquarium and it was very impressive. The Typhoon passed and the weather was beautiful for my last two days--thanks for asking.b,121b,121Re: Muro's shop... I could be wrong--it may have been a different building.b,121b,121Anywho, I want to also recommend City Country City in Shimokita, a spot owned by Sokabe Keiichi of Sunny Day Service (Japanese) fame. The record buyer, Hirata san, brings in good stuff and prices things pretty reasonably. It's also a nice cafe during the day and a friendly bar at night with some decent parties. I DJ there sometimes.

•                         ,r;;;;ミミミミミミヽ,,_ b,121                         ,i':r"    + `ミ;;, b,121       __,、           ≡     彡        ミ;;;i b,121    〃ニ;;::`lヽ,,_           ≡  彡 ,,,,,、 ,,,,、、 ミ;;;! b,121    〈 (lll!! テ-;;;;゙fn    __,,--、_  ..   ,ゞi" ̄ フ‐! ̄~~|-ゞ, ≡ b,121   /ヽ-〃;;;;;;;llllll7,,__/"  \三=ー"."ヾi `ー‐'、 ,ゝ--、' 〉;r'  ≡  自分自身を客観的に見ることはできるんです 、/:::/<;;;lllメ   \ヾ、  ヽTf=ヽ  `,|  / "ii" ヽ  |ノ b,121  j,, ヾて)r=- | ヾ:   :ヽ;;:     | l |  l  ''t ←―→ )/イ^    ≡ あなたとは違うんです b,121 ,イ ヽ二)l(_,>" l|    ::\;::    | |  |  ヽ,,-‐、i'  / V /::l"'i::lll1-=:::: ̄\ b,121 ヾ==:"::^::;;:::/;;;;;;;;;:::::::::::::: :::::ゞ ノ/   L/〈:::t_イ::/ll|─-== ヾ (゙ )l:::l-┴ヾ、ヽ  ) b,121      ̄~~ ̄ ̄/ :::|T==--:::::  //  / ト=-|:|-─ ( l   / b,121         / ::  ::l l::::::::::::::::::/ /:::::::::::/:::::(ヽ--─  / |  / b,121         ヽ_=--"⌒ ゙゙̄ヾ:/ /:::::::/:::::::::`==-- ノ / /

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121I'll be out there shortly for an undetermined amount of time, holla anyone going to Tokyo or out there and we'll raid an izakaya...b,121b,121b b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121just got back from Tokyo actually! restrained myself to casual shopping, as i was with people who had no patience for digging. Plus i know i would overspend as soon as i saw wallz of raer. Shibuya is always such a trip just to wander around. I continued my love for Mos Burger. Heres a place that i admired their honesty:b,121img src="http://www.karlophone.com/land-o-nuthin4/2008-09-12-tokyo5.jpg"1

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    ^ Toyku Hands, I see. I got a Fumo-Fumo-San there for the lady.b,121b,121Kawaii, you know..

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 Mos Burger b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/krusty.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121自分自身を客観的に見ることはできるんですb,121あなたとは違うんですb,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121This was super scrambled in my browser, but pretty funny that you would post it. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• By the way, SHAME Records in W. Shinjuku hasn't gone bust but simply moved to the 4th floor of the building they used to be in.b,121I had a drink with the former proprietor of Ebony Records the other day when I was in Okinawa and he mentioned (and Mr. Shame repated) that there used to be about 300 record shops in W. Shinjuku area (seems a bit high, but...) ... now there are maybe 20.

• Unlike me you can see things objectively?b,121b,121is this a quotation from a movie or something

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    hey,
    can anbody tell me the name of the station to go to jazzy sport shop?

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    its in shibuya

• not anymore, Jazzy Sport moved to a new location a couple of months ago:
    Jazzy Sport
    3-17-7 GOHONGI MEGURO-KU
    153-0053 TOKYO JAPAN

Disk Union in Shibuya closed down a couple of days ago... I was in there one day, and kabooom, it was gone. They moved upstairs to level 4 or 5 and have a combined house and hip-hop store... hip-hop stores are empty and there's no new stock comng in... same goes with a lot of the funk/soul stuff... run of the mill stuff, high end stuff scattered, but the tastes change everytime the new issue of Wax Poetics Japan drops (which this month is the Fela Kuti issue), so Afro Beat is the main thing here... OVERPRICED like all fuckery... next month they'll do Curtis Mayfied or something and *BANG*. Kinda cool, but it used to be about guide books which gave an even spread of records. Now it's about magazines tastes dictating what hits the shelves.

record shopping is in a really sad state of affairs in Japan, actually let me rephrase that TOKYO. Forget the record map people. Lots of dealers hitting it daily (eBay *AND* the local yahoo auctions). Head the the outer suburbs if you're going to use the map.

It's nothing like it was a few years ago, makes me a little sad.

b

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    Soundclash said:
    not anymore, Jazzy Sport moved to a new location a couple of months ago:
    Jazzy Sport
    3-17-7 GOHONGI MEGURO-KU
    153-0053 TOKYO JAPAN
    thats the adress i have and should match the photo i posted. i'm just not sure about the train station!?

Meguro Station. JR Yamanote Line.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Disk Union Shibuya gone! Damn that's sad.
    Shibuya is just a shadow of it's former self.

Not sure how Jazzy Sport will do in Maguro, no other record spot down there as far as i know.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    djsheep said:
    Meguro Station. JR Yamanote Line.

perfect, thank you!

btw, haven't seen a dj sheep photo thread for a while...

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    I remember when Cisco Records went out of business. That seemed to be around the start of the downward spiral. What was particularly bad about them going under is that they were the distributor, promoter, management etc for quite a few Japanese acts.