P.U.T.S. REMIX CONTEST - WIN AN IPOD TOUCH!

Comments

• Day - dude i need your votes man - I CANT MAKE THIS DESICION ALONE IT IS IMPOSSIBLE MY LIST CANNOT BE NARROWED DOWN TO THREEEEEEEEEE!b,121b,121WTF How are we going to choose a winner?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121WTF How are we going to choose a winner?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121SSSSWWWAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• day and i are deliberating the finals as we speak

• Stay tuned, we are counting ballots.b,121b,121a winner will be announced tonightro.b,121b,121second place is already secured as a two way tie and third place has been chosen.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Peace to everyone on SoulStrut-
    b,121
    b,121EarDrumz from Seattle here...my main man Hideki directed me to this site, and the PUTS remix contest, hope I'm not to late..
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Same here. I've been so busy working and getting ready for the school year that I'm turning this in extremely late. I know it's not going to be entered into the contest, but it'll give you guys something to do while the Panel of Judges debates over first place.b,121b,121Up Yo Spine (RogB belated remix)b,121object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="335" height="28" id="divplaylist"1param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=5479652-68c" /1embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=5479652-68c" width="335" height="28" name="divplaylist" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"1/embed1/object1b,121b,121Edit: forgive my lackluster MPC skills!

• [color:"blue"1 OK!!!!!! b,121b,121b,121The Votes are in and the judges have deliberated as best we could. b,121b,121First off, and most importantly, I want to state that the decisions here represent a panel of people and not necessarily me personally (although I did make the final call here under advisement because I bought the ipod!) b,121b,121Also, and more importantly - I can't stress enough how shocked and honored I am by the number and quality of remixes submitted. There was an enormous amount of creativity, hard work and technical skill displayed within these remixes and "judging" these as it would be made me feel pretty shitty. b,121b,121I tried to be as objective as possible in this way: in my opinion what makes one piece of music good or bad is almost always in the eye of the beholder. Keeping that in mind, I tried to use a more objective scale than personal taste for choosing a winning entry. b,121b,121In my opinion, a remix at it's best readdresses the original content and brings something new to it while exploiting existing nuances in the material. The beat should listen to the rhymes and song structure and react. In this contest, for example, many remixes would have been top contenders but often times when they got to the chorus they dropped the baton by losing the focus of the "remixed song" in favor of completing the beat. If at that point i wished it were an instrumental version as opposed to a vocal, the remix lost points. This doesn't make the beat any less dope, it just made it less functional as a remix for this particular song.b,121b,121Some of my favorite remixes were the ones that took the song in a completely new direction, whether it were through tempo or mood (or slide whistle), as many did. b,121I gave extra credit for braving this out, because i know how difficult it is to keep things lined up and focused when the shit hits the fan. b,121b,121I'm talking to much. here's the bottom line. All of these are dope, and I personally liked some ALOT. I went through the list of remixes and tried to assign a 1-10 number to each one, when i was done i had 20 with 9's and 10's. No shit. That being the case, I can't even do honorable mentions in this because it would no doubt exclude alot of dope shit. Fusk it, had to pick one though, so here it is.b,121b,121 As they say around these parts, DEAL.b,121!--color--1/font1 b,121font color="purple"1 1. Martin !--color--1/font1 This remix, aside from being the first to hit the forum (which didn't of itself earn extra points but the turnaround was impressive!) is, in alot of our opinions the remix that is listening to the lyrics the most and reacting in dope ways. It's busy as hell but it works because the lyrics are locked in the pocket, which must not have been easy. It's funky and it makes me nod my head, and it just works. I feel like it set the tone for the whole contest in a sense, so it's more than worthy. b,121b,121Congratulations Martin. And you always always drop heat in the post a beat threads. It's only right. b,121b,121b,121 font color=green] 2. Two way tie - !--color--1/font1[color:red]Uptempo: BOAC !--color--1/font1 So out of the wheelhouse for this it was back in the wheelhouse, if that makes sense. This shit sounds like a calssic west coast banger from yesterday with a forward look on it's brim. Fire. b,121[color:brown] Downtempo: Xserp !--color--1/font1 This is one of those joints people might have clicked on for a few seconds and skipped over but if you let it build it really is a chilled out take on this in a way that bobs and moves without sounding contrived. It's subtle and embodies an entirely different but applicable direction for the lyrics. b,121b,121 [color:#666666] 3. Caz and Dizzy: !--color--1/font1These dudes are retarded and they probably need a 10$ gift certificate to Wendy's more than the rest of you hip hops. Enjoy your potatoes holmses. You earned it. b,121b,121b,121b,121Again a big thank you to everyone who submitted, feel free to let your work proliferate on the net and elsewhere, myspace etc. There's so much dopeness here it would be a shame if people missed out on this stuff. b,121b,121Winners please PM me your addresses so i can send you your prizes.b,121b,121Thanks for playing and we'll do it again next year. b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tunes.gif" alt="" /1

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 calssic west coast banger from yesterday
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121New strut terminology?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I gotta give it up to Thes for taking charge of this whole thing and kicking us in our collective asses so we could get the results in as close to on time as possible.b,121b,121This message board, pound for pound, has some of the most talented cats on the internet. All of you guys had something to bring to the table and it truly was tough to judge these. Every one of you deserve props for the work you put in and for posting these up to be judged and listened to in a public forum. On behalf of all of us, thanks for participating. Hopefully this can become a regular thing (paging Young Einstein....).

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    In a way I feel robbed, because I have to split my potatoes with Cas. Thats only 5 bucks for each of us! On the other hand, 5 dollars does kind of go a long way at Wendy's right? I get small drinks cuz you get free refills, and cas is so cheap he gets water and then puts 7-up in it when nobody is looking...... yeah, we can eat but the women folk will be stayin HOME.b,121b,121PM me cas, we got a dinner date to plan!

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121In a way I feel robbed, because I have to split my potatoes with Cas. Thats only 5 bucks for each of us! On the other hand, 5 dollars does kind of go a long way at Wendy's right? I get small drinks cuz you get free refills, and cas is so cheap he gets water and then puts 7-up in it when nobody is looking...... yeah, we can eat but the women folk will be stayin HOME.
    b,121
    b,121PM me cas, we got a dinner date to plan!
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121wendy's has a $.99 menu, cletus. that's 5 things a piece! b,121b,121img src="http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0829/top.gif"1b,121img src="http://lap.umd.edu/survey_design/images/wendys.jpg"1b,121b,121i'm honored to share this with c.pickbone. first of all i'd like to thank thes & double k for being funky and funny (FUNNNky), day for being the man, cosmo bakery and dj elevens, raj for screaming on kingmost today and running the struts, culture freedom and l.e.s., wallethead and the entire city of san diego and all of our fans worldwide. remember it's fun. it's fun to do bad things with your friends...and run into a car.b,121b,121img src="http://content.ytmnd.com/content/9/b/c/9bc61fec91f962835e82c2bcb8217f88.gif"1b,121b,121north and south parks...this one is for you! we finally did it!b,121b,121dizz's thank yous are coming soon.b,121 marquee1img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/potatoworthyyz3.gif" alt="" /1img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/potatoworthyyz3.gif" alt="" /1img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/potatoworthyyz3.gif" alt="" /1/marquee1b,121b,121edit: some certain moderhatuer who has managed to throw hate sprinkles on me thru this whole period of creativity is mad she didn't get a shout out. i'll save you a pack of bbq sauce and a nugget, girl. i can be the grown up here. b,121b,121also shouts to my dog, zo money bags.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    congrats to the winnersb,121good choices

• yeah Martin!!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I tried to put $50 on Dizzy Cas getting the potato, but no takers.b,121b,121This thread gets 6 stars, I've heard this track so much I know the lyrics.b,121b,121All you one-post mix-drop dudes need to hang around and talk racism with us.

• Actally I'm a bit relieved.b,121b,121AIN'T NO WENDY'S IN SCANDINAVIA!b,121b,121b,121Seriously, congratulations to the winners, they deserved it.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Should we open up a forum for the music makers? This thread was facemelt in so many ways.

• Yeah congratulations.b,121b,121Really enjoyed taking part.b,121b,121/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Hopefully this can become a regular thing (paging Young Einstein....).
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/word3rp.gif" alt="" /1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" /1

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Should we open up a forum for the music makers? This thread was facemelt in so many ways.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^b,121sayin' for years nowb,121b,121and a travel forum so we don't have to bear the brunt of the unpteenth lil dude when he's goin' on vacation to amsterdam or nYc

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Should we open up a forum for the music makers? This thread was facemelt in so many ways.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121yes please - so many talented cats on here. and also enough people that can make things happen in many ways - be it a release, potatoes or whatever.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Could also be a good place for threads with mixes. They get lost in the main forum and announcement forums.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the house of representative votes YAY 300 to 1

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121and a travel forum so we don't have to bear the brunt of the unpteenth lil dude when he's goin' on vacation to amsterdam or nYc
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Sayin'. You could call it "No, no records in [insert your town]." And the SF people will finally have a home to talk about food to their precious hearts' collective content.b,121b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/krusty.gif" alt="" /1

• Congratulations to the winners of the competition! It was a blast taking part in this. So much great music to listen to in this thread. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/870.gif" alt="" /1

• HamHam 872 Posts
    congrats to the winners! martin's was my favourite too.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Congrats to the winners, there was some really really dope stuff submitted. I was feeling that house remix too. All good stuff. I wish I would have had time to do one myself, next time probably.

• Thanks for letting me be apart of this! Had a lot of fun making this track and enjoyed hearing all the different takes on the song. Talented group here, I'm gonna have to stick around now for when something like this pops off again.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Congrats to Martin and the other guy (sorry, I forgot the name). whats funny is that if I had to pick I think I would have done the house one, Mex's first one, and Upskiboo's (in no particular order). Actually I think I would have given 1st prise to upskiboo. And that's with only hearing about 1/2 of the remixes submitted. I still need to hear all the other one's too. So many gems. But yeah, with so much stuff to choose from that must have been a tough choice.b,121b,121Anyways, shout out to my main doodoostain Boxcar Cas Redfoot Money, the best trashcan player and mic stand in south or north park. b,121My wife, Bessie May Pickfoot b,121My son, Cletus T. Pickbone III Jr. b,121My 2 barn cats Jethro P. Tullington and Swank Trilliams Jr., b,121Moderhatter AnnaBell Clementineb,121My homies Hambone, Neckbone, and Chickenbone...b,121Buford P. Fatneck..... b,121Thadeus J. Pompadore.......b,121Washboard Willy.....b,121Cornrow X. Calhoun....b,121b,121b, 21The deering banjo company located right her in Sunny San Diego!b,121b,121the rapper guysb, 21Thesnik Wondersnacks and Dubbington K. Haleboppus for the raps and scratching the victorola.b,121b,121Washboard players around the worldb,121b, 21The Coalition of Hip Hop Banjoists and the Southern California Slide Whistle Society, Kazoos Around The World- a nonprofit orginazation dedicated to providing much needed kazoos to communist childrens....b,121b,121um../.....b,121b,121the groundskeeper guy who is the only guy I don't mind having around when I play my banjo at lunch because he drives a gator and mows dirt.b,121b,121b, 21and I guess thats about it.

• Word!b,121b,121I'm glad i'm not receiving hate mail yet (oh shit i haven't checked my mail though)b,121b,121Mex's second joint, Cosmophonic, Upskiboo, Kaushik (the most daring), Kixnare, Bam, Kut O/Oli Cheeba (lost me on the chorus), Enki, Beatsoup, Quo and Grumbles were all strong contenders for first on my tally.b,121b,121Big respect to everyone who submitted There was nothing i scored lower than a 7 (and i tried too)!b,121b,121And to answer a few questions at once - everyone can put these mixes up on thier blogs or myspaces etc. it's all good.

• Daaaaaaaaammmmnn! I'm honored to tie for second, cats came with hella heat. The original is real ill, and it was dope to hear how cats hit all different angles. I'm an emcee, and several of these beats pretty much destroy most of the ish I've been hearing lately (except D.J. K.O. which I highly recommend checking out).That banjo ish might be the craziest remix I've ever heard. Ever. Props to the judges, this had to be hard to judge. The quality level was off the hoof. I think Wendys should give you guys something for all the promotion...b,121b,121b,121a href="http://theslapratory.blogspot.com/" target="_blank"1http://theslapratory.blogspot.com//a1b,121a href="http://www.myspace.com/boac" target="_blank"1http://www.myspace.com/boac/a1

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Martin, congrats!!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Martin, congrats!!
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121YEAH big shout to the champs!!!!!b,121b,121img src="http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j79/upskiboo/BlackPowerSalute.jpg"1b,121b,121also, thanks for dope competition, things like this really makes the board come alive, so much good shitt and creativity, big up everyone, and thanks dizzy for the positive remarks.b,121b,121peace.