Being asked for setlists before DJing?!

MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
edited July 2008 in Strut Central
Check it.I was asked by an acquaintance to DJ this photo exhibition opening thing which I gladly said yes to without any money since he's not making any money off of it anyway.Then all of a sudden he asks me if I can make a setlist for him of all the tracks I was going to play. I explained to him that it wasn't a DJs job (as opposed to a radio DJ) to do it in advance and he was cool about it and understood fully. Case closed, or so I thought.Then I get an e-mail from the co-organizer (a person I've known for a few years) asking me again for a setlist. I restated my reasons for not doing so and said as politely as I could that I wouldn't do it. Through the following few e-mails where I explain my feelings on the subject I get hurled these nuggets:"I am truly sorry to see you being headstrong [...] Once you go into the "real world" [...], your "principle" (that is not DJing to setlists) may bring you results not favorable to you.""All I can say is that you have A LOT TO LEARN"Has this happened to any of you?Major

Comments

• Check it.

I was asked by an acquaintance to DJ this photo exhibition opening thing which I gladly said yes to without any money since he's not making any money off of it anyway.

Then all of a sudden he asks me if I can make a setlist for him of all the tracks I was going to play. I explained to him that it wasn't a DJs job (as opposed to a radio DJ) to do it in advance and he was cool about it and understood fully. Case closed, or so I thought.

Then I get an e-mail from the co-organizer (a person I've known for a few years) asking me again for a setlist. I restated my reasons for not doing so and said as politely as I could that I wouldn't do it. Through the following few e-mails where I explain my feelings on the subject I get hurled these nuggets:

"I am truly sorry to see you being headstrong [...] Once you go into the "real world" [...], your "principle" (that is not DJing to setlists) may bring you results not favorable to you."
    "All I can say is that you have A LOT TO LEARN"

Has this happened to any of you?

Major

This person needs the go f*ck yourself[/b] greamlin....

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Check it.

I was asked by an acquaintance to DJ this photo exhibition opening thing which I gladly said yes to without any money since he's not making any money off of it anyway.

Then all of a sudden he asks me if I can make a setlist for him of all the tracks I was going to play. I explained to him that it wasn't a DJs job (as opposed to a radio DJ) to do it in advance and he was cool about it and understood fully. Case closed, or so I thought.

Then I get an e-mail from the co-organizer (a person I've known for a few years) asking me again for a setlist. I restated my reasons for not doing so and said as politely as I could that I wouldn't do it. Through the following few e-mails where I explain my feelings on the subject I get hurled these nuggets:

"I am truly sorry to see you being headstrong [...] Once you go into the "real world" [...], your "principle" (that is not DJing to setlists) may bring you results not favorable to you."

Major

This person needs the go f*ck yourself[/b] greamlin....

And all this for what amounts to someone DONATING THEIR TIME FOR FREEEEE!

I can see how people want an idea about what you are intending to play, but this is crazy.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    That person has a lot to learn about:

DJing
    The real world
    Getting help for free
    Tact in social interactions

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Setlist:
    1. Fear - Let's Have a War (So You Can Go and Die)

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    you shouldn't do it. Back out and then they'll learn something about the real world.

I once had a friend tell me about a new bar that was opening up in North Beach. He had me call the owner to talk about djing there for an opening. He didn't have any equipment, just a stereo. He told me I would need to go out and purchase an audio cable long enough to reach the stereo. I would also have to bring all of my equipment. I think it was during the jazz festival and he wanted me to dj for about 8 hours. He asked how much I would charge and I said that since I was bringing my equipment and that it was for that long that I would charge $500, which I thought was actually being generous/fair. He then gave me the "oh, that's a lot more than I anticipated." I told him that it gets really tiring for that long and that it's a hassle to bring the equipment too. He then lectured me about how he works 15 hour days and for me not to tell him anything about getting tired and long work hours. He was being such a dick and so self righteous for a good 3-4 minutes. Lots of "look buddy."

fuck that.

You should just tell them, if you need an exact playlist then I might as well just program your ipod for you and you can push play.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    You should email back:

Dear valued champion of the arts,

I appreciate your feedback, but in all fairness, I don't tell you how to channel your maudlin angst into incomprehensible bullshit that nobody gives a fuck about, so please don't tell me how to do my job.

Best regards,

You Suck.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    just give him a fake setlist. what's he gonna do, not pay you?

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    You should email back:

I appreciate your feedback, but in all fairness, I don't tell you how to channel your maudlin angst into incomprehensible bullshit that nobody gives a fuck about, so please don't tell me how to do my job.

Best regards,

You Suck.
    So well spoken and to the point. Sums up my sentimonies exactly.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

You should just tell them, if you need an exact playlist then I might as well just program your ipod for you and you can push play.

And that it will cost them $150 to do that, per hour of music.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    You should email back:

Best regards,

You Suck.

I would go with this. A+

I had someone ask me to do a demo for a wedding recently and I told them that I don't work from a set list rather I read the crowd to see what they are responding to and play to that. They didn't seem to have a problem with that.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    wow... that's pretty damn ballsy!

just try to never get into the real world of people who do photo exhibitions or other artsy projects where no-one makes any money (or at least not those who do the actual work)

i strongly suggest to answer with cbears words:

you should try and learn about:

DJing
    The real world
    Getting help for free

• dirtydirty 93 Posts
    You should email back:

Best regards,

You Suck.

well put.

I do a lot of these Gallery gigs. some free, some for very little loot. almost always have to bring my equipment (which blows) but whatareyagonnado? No one has ever asked for a set list, I just tell 'em what style I'm gonna drop and no one ever has a problem with it.

I do get real tired of telling folks about how scratch live works when I use it. I get a lot of "now, how does this work" from people.

wow... that's pretty damn ballsy!

just try to never get into the real world of people who do photo exhibitions or other artsy projects where no-one makes any money (or at least not those people who do the actual work)

i strongly suggest to answer with cbears words:

you should try and learn about:

DJing
    The real world
    Getting help for free
    Trying to never get into that real world is already a top priority. Avoiding this kind of shit like the plague is the new black.

It looks like I might end up not doing it because of the co-organizer (who wrote me that shit). Which is a bit of a shame since the person that asked me to do this initially is a stand up dude who only asked me to do the setlist initially at the request of the other organizer.

• You should email back:

Best regards,

You Suck.

Pretty Much

You do you man,if they can't deal with that..then they ain't got no party.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts

I do get real tired of telling folks about how scratch live works when I use it. I get a lot of "now, how does this work" from people.

Microwave has created a whole new range
    of confused on lookers. as if
    "they still make them rakerds?" wasn't
    bad enough...

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    just tell your friend how the guy came at you and that you'd prefer not to do it. I'm sure he'll understand. Just forward him the email.

• 01. Intro
    02. The Bees - ID (From Malaysia)
    03. Les Lutins - La Junglomanie (1968)
    04. Impala Syndrome - Love Grows A Flower (1969)
    10. Baris Manco - G??n??l Dagi (1972)
    12. San Ul Lim - My Soul Lies On Silk (1978)
    13. Arik Einstein - Ani Ve'Ata (You And I)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    1) C.R.E.A.M.

just tell your friend how the guy came at you and that you'd prefer not to do it. I'm sure he'll understand. Just forward him the email.
    Done and done. I even translated all the e-mail for him (dude is Japanese but the e-mails are in English) and he seems to get the picture. The drama will continue tomorrow though as the dude wants to talk with the other organizer first to clear shit up before I can pull out of the event officially.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    why do they want a set list so bad?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I imagine someone on the the set wants to "work" w/ the music. Its some control freak shit. Dudes can put together their own playlist on an ipod and call it a day, if theyre so uptight.

I'm being told that the reason is so that people don't have to ask what I'm track I'm playing, they could just look it up on a piece of paper and see. One of the parameters of the gig is that I play only music from the country that the photos were taken in. This is while there already is another "DJ" who will be doing that at the event while selling CDs containing the tracks played.

You could always send him this:

G[/b]rupo Cruela ??? Nada Nos Detendra
    O[/b]s Brazoes ??? Tao Longe De Mim
    F[/b]orever Amber ??? The Dream Flies Back
    U[/b]gly Ducklings - Gaslight
    C[/b]obras ??? Instant Heartache
    K[/b]it and the Outlaws ??? Don???t Tread on Me
    Y[/b]uya Uchida & The Flowers ??? Greasy Heart
    O[/b]men ??? Once Upon A Taste
    U[/b]c Hurel-Hurel Arsivi ??? Aglarsa Anam Aglar
    R[/b]iddles ??? It???s One Thing
    S[/b]aharas ??? They Play It Wild
    E[/b]quals ??? My Life Ain???t Easy
    L[/b]arry & The Blue Notes ??? Night of The Phantom
    F[/b]entones ??? Simla Beat Theme
    ![/b]!! ??? Pardon My Freedom

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Check it.

Major

My response would be:

"You're asking a lot of me considering I'm doing this for free. Sorry, but I think given you're condescending attitude you should look for a free DJ elsewhere. If you still want to avail yourself of my services I will be charging for them."

I don't see why you people waste so much time on shit like this.

I don't see why you people waste so much time on shit like this.

I'm guessing because it's fun and we're bored at work.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

This is just straight disrespectful. Do they forget you're doing this FOR FREE?
    I wouldn't even bother if I were you. Let him think whatever.

A while ago I was asked to DJ at this new trendy Japanese restaurant downtown playing lounge/downtempo etc. from 9 til midnight. They offered me a good amount of money and it was a block away from my other gig that started at 12 so it worked out perfect. I offered to give them a CD, but they wanted me to "audition" which meant bringing all the equipment down and playing for the owner and some other people. I eventually said ok, get down there and set up, and only one person shows up.
    He puts his cell phone to the speaker for a minute while I'm DJing and then hands me the the phone. Some dickhead is on the line asking me what I play and if I could make him a CD and drop it off the next day. I told him I'd see what I could do, packed up my stuff and went home. Then I called and told them thanks but no thanks.

Sometimes shit isn't worth the hassle. People need to show you some respect from the jump otherwise what do you think your relationship working with them will be?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm being told that the reason is so that people don't have to ask what I'm track I'm playing, they could just look it up on a piece of paper and see.

this is sounding worse and worse! will you also have a giant clock behind you so they can tell where you are in your set? how are they supposed to match the track to the list?

can we see the photos online anywhere?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    you shouldn't do it. Back out and then they'll learn something about the real world.

I once had a friend tell me about a new bar that was opening up in North Beach. He had me call the owner to talk about djing there for an opening. He didn't have any equipment, just a stereo. He told me I would need to go out and purchase an audio cable long enough to reach the stereo. I would also have to bring all of my equipment. I think it was during the jazz festival and he wanted me to dj for about 8 hours. He asked how much I would charge and I said that since I was bringing my equipment and that it was for that long that I would charge $500, which I thought was actually being generous/fair. He then gave me the "oh, that's a lot more than I anticipated." I told him that it gets really tiring for that long and that it's a hassle to bring the equipment too. He then lectured me about how he works 15 hour days and for me not to tell him anything about getting tired and long work hours. He was being such a dick and so self righteous for a good 3-4 minutes. Lots of "look buddy."

did you ask him if he stands in the same 3 foot area for 15 hours a day?

if this was a wedding i could understand supplying a small set list so they get the idea of what you'd play, but these fools i would tell to find someone else. they obviously have no idea how this thing works and its hilarious that they thing this will hurt you in "the real world." if they don't trust someone to do what they do then the ipod solution is thier only option. gbh said it best.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    OUTRAGE!!!

How could this have been avoided with this organizer though? When people come at you with these idiotic needs before you lose your patience and refuse flatly you have to either overexplain yourself or pull one of these act like you know movements and hope it doesn't blow up in your face......

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Just print out a page from itunes/Microwave & give them that (2min print job), what's the big deal? You don't have to follow it. But yeah, you don't need that sort of crap for a free gig.