moving your collection cross country

bozakbozak 334 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
So I need to move my collection to the bay area in about two months.I dont drive so renting a uhaul isnt really going to work (gas on that must be a nightmare). I have looked into a mover but they want 1600+ (at least the ones I have found). Curious if anyone out here has done something this on the cheap. Im moving about 50 crates as of right now but I have a feeling im going to be getting rid of a bunch of things.am I better off just renting a storage unit and keeping most that shit here (downstate illinois) for the time being to make moving less stressfull? slowly moving it out there when im in town visiting friends and fam?

Comments

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    You should check out pods via www.upack.com or similar. Pack up a portable storage unit, then they ship it cross-country on the back of a truck. It's much cheaper than uhaul. When wife & I moved cross-country from FL to CA, the uhaul quote was over $3000! U-pack was about half that. Another nice thing is they charge by dimensions, not by weight, and records are really modular so you just load that puppy up, make sure nothing will tip over, and you're set. I'd be a little worried about temperature at this time of year though.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    if they are packed super tight will temp still effect them?

how many records did you put in your pod?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Well, the pod was 8 x 9 x 10 feet or so. Check the site for stats. Wife and I have more than just records.... but mine filled out half a pod maybe.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    A co-worker of mine moved from LA to Philly a few years back and ran into the same problem. He found that you could ship them via Am-Trak. Apparently it was super cheap. Don't know what exactly the deal was, but you should look into it. Church.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    ima look into that. sounds like this could be a winner!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i shipped using UPS from Seattle to New York. It was like a two week delivery or something, but everything was barcoded and tracked. And they will come pick it up. If you box it in cardboard wine boxes and call them with the number of boxes and weight, they can tell you how much it costs over the phone.