Lee Perry Overated?Overfetish-ized?Overexoticized?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Is Lee Perry's myth larger than his artistic contributions? Are his artistic contributions really that distinctive? I dont want to bring anyone's idols down, I'm just askin.

Comments

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    the upsetter is dope when he is on
    like many all his stuff isn't
    but when it is

1975-79 was my fave era
    black ark 12" rule
    heat in the city 7"
    blue bells "come along"
    rainy night in portland
    them ain't over rated

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Is Lee Perry's myth larger than his artistic contributions? Are his artistic contributions really that distinctive? I dont want to bring anyone's idols down, I'm just askin.

Yo man, I have a 3-cd set that is pretty much start to finish.

I can't really overstate his artistic contributions... wait until KL finds this thread!

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    no.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    k likes marley, so I don't really care what he thinks.

in my opinion lee is not over anything, just a great musician who spent a lot of time making music.

• Options
    3 records I played this past Saturday should help you

K.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I know his work. And I know he has cult status. But, is his rep inflated because of his image/Industry stories.

• Options
    IF you know his work, then why are you asking if he's overated?

You guys may find this funny but I've never read any book on Perry, so image/industry stories could mean less to me. I'm basing it on the records in this room right now.

Dude had it going on from his early Studio 1 days until '80.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    no he`s not over- anything.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    I know his work. And I know he has cult status. But, is his rep inflated because of his image/Industry stories.

i think he lost it after 79,
    i mean the sherwood & mad p stuff is ok to good,
    nothing too hard
    & some of that wackies & heartbeat stuff were just gawd awfull
    respect the legend, but he has some clunkers

who likes "love can run faster" - robert palmer ??

i do

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the mighty upsetter can never be rated highly enough. The hihat's on Congoman ALONE are enough to rest his legacy on.

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    fuck lee perry...
    fuck george clinton...
    fuck sun ra...
    fuck james brown...

fuck em' all...

compare him to bob marley.

marley in a way is overrated just because large populations of assholes believe he is the godfather of reggae or whatever. assholes who think on that level don't even know who lee perry is. those assholes being the majority of the free world (outside of ja). lee perry is still operating at flyspeck level on the overall. if anything he needs more hype, considering exactly how much he contributed to jamaican music by and large. also adding the fact that he is basically an outsider artist and complete fucking mystery. he needs more light if anything.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Definitely not overrated--the magnitude of his contributions to Jamaican music is such that it is almost impossible to overstate.

However, I do think that a certain racism informs the popular conception of him and the idea that he is some sort of mad genius, specifically that his madness is part and parcel of his genius. The fact is that all of his great work was produced when he was in full possession of his faculties. He then cracked up around 1979 and, having become truly mad, never produced another noteworthy recording, much less one that could be described as genius. I don't even rate all that Mad Professor/Adrian Sherwood/etc. crap as part of the Perry catalog. He's a very disturbed man and has been for a long time, but motherfuckers want to act like he's supposed to be that way--like he's some sort of shaman or mystic--when they would never say that type of dumb shit if it was their own grandfather that had cracked up.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    over-exoticized?

over-fetishized?

huh?

he is among the greatest producers. Black Ark was the hub for some seriously creative and innovative shit.

i'm gonna have to go with Kevin on this. smoke some shit and listen closely.

• I'd like to present to the court

Exhibit A

Exhibit B-iooootchh

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Exhibit C:

Marley with Perry was most of the best shit the Wailers ever did...although it was not the best shit Perry ever did (Max Romeo-Holla!) Still, I feel like you can't argue "Marley vs Perry," because they are too involved with each other to be seen as opposing forces.

• I will cosine on exhibit A.

Three CDs. Played to shit. Now "scratched". May need to reinvest.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

who likes "love can run faster" - robert palmer ??

that's my shit. a reggae song with like 4 changes? unheard of... dope as fuck... lately, i've been feeling the disco devil 12", which is off the chain...

• Lee Perry overrated?

People funny boy.

Perry's work is amazing, creative, and influential throughout the early major movements of modern Jamaican music ( ska, rocksteady, reggae, and dub).

Add that with his winning and cryptic personality and I'm surprised he's not more of a musical icon.

Underrated?

Yes!

I think Perry suffers from the "Ike Turner Syndrome". Due to the popularity of Bob Marley, his contributions are often over looked and only realy appreciated by those who dig a little deeper into the music than wearing a tie dyed "One Love" t-shirt with a giant pot leaf on it.

Outside of true music lover's circles, Jamaican music starts and ends with Marley and Lee Perry is just a footnote in the suburban white dude with salon bought dreadlocks ganja smokin' impostafari cult of Marley handbook.

Genius?

Most definitely.

I think the reason there is so much talk here ( and maybe one would get a sense of "overrated") of artists like Perry, Sun Ra, Ike Turner, and such is because we can. In other circles I just get scratching heads and sometimes a "oh yeah, I heard of him".

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

Definitely not overrated--the magnitude of his contributions to Jamaican music is such that it is almost impossible to overstate.

However, I do think that a certain racism informs the popular conception of him and the idea that he is some sort of mad genius, specifically that his madness is part and parcel of his genius. The fact is that all of his great work was produced when he was in full possession of his faculties. He then cracked up around 1979 and, having become truly mad, never produced another noteworthy recording, much less one that could be described as genius. I don't even rate all that Mad Professor/Adrian Sherwood/etc. crap as part of the Perry catalog. He's a very disturbed man and has been for a long time, but motherfuckers want to act like he's supposed to be that way--like he's some sort of shaman or mystic--when they would never say that type of dumb shit if it was their own grandfather that had cracked up.

Real Talk.

• My grandfather doesnt smoke a challus of green ganja direct from Jam rock everyday either.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Outside of true music lover's circles, Jamaican music starts and ends with Marley and Lee Perry is just a footnote in the suburban white dude with salon bought dreadlocks ganja smokin' impostafari cult of Marley handbook.

DUDE, Marley is like the messiah. One time Cody, Brenda, and me went to my dad's cottage up north and we brought the most killer 'kine bud with hus braaaaaaaaah. We must of listened to "Legend" the whooooooole weekend. God, it was sooo coool, I wish I was like Jamaican and stuff, they are so frickin' coooool [/b]

DUDE, Perry is like the messiah. One time Cody, Brenda, and me went to my dad's cottage up north and we brought the most killer 'kine bud with hus braaaaaaaaah. We must of listened to "Superape" the whooooooole weekend. God, it was sooo coool, I wish I was like Jamaican and stuff, they are so frickin' coooool [/b]

It seems there is some overlap w/ these type of reggae fans regarding Perry.

• home dude looks hot (no hominid) in those JNCOS

impostafari

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I blame issue #2 of Grand Royal[/b]

I blame issue #2 of Grand Royal[/b]

LOL

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

trustafarian[/b]

• Options

trustafarian hath entered the gates of scion[/b]