Lee Perry Overated?Overfetish-ized?Overexoticized?

Comments

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

who likes "love can run faster" - robert palmer ??

that's my shit. a reggae song with like 4 changes? unheard of... dope as fuck... lately, i've been feeling the disco devil 12", which is off the chain...

i love both of them jams, been playing Norman 12" by maxie,
    when i first heard them dominoes snap i thought the wax was scrathed, fi real

many hipster doofi hate against that robert palmer single, how can you say you like perry & hate that song,
    bitch is i now have to check every pop 45 bin under p loooking for the hit a-side
    knowledge is a burden sometimes
    so i'll work on getting dumber

• who likes "love can run faster" - robert palmer ??

that's my shit. a reggae song with like 4 changes? unheard of... dope as fuck... lately, i've been feeling the disco devil 12", which is off the chain...

i love both of them jams, been playing Norman 12" by maxie,
    when i first heard them dominoes snap i thought the wax was scrathed, fi real

many hipster doofi hate against that robert palmer single, how can you say you like perry & hate that song,
    bitch is i now have to check every pop 45 bin under p loooking for the hit a-side
    knowledge is a burden sometimes
    so i'll work on getting dumber

plaese kindly perhaps to post raers of m3ps?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    if you think Junior Murvin's "Police and Thieves" or Max Romeo's "War Ina Babylon" are "overrated" , then perhaps reggae is genre that really isnt for you...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Perry casts a very long shadow on reggae, but how long was his most productive run?Five,Six years? Could someone verify.

Perry casts a very long shadow on reggae, but how long was his most productive run?Five,Six years? Could someone verify.

with coxson & studio 1 from the sixties ?
    i haven't read the bios or crown royales, but i think he bounced from there to gibbs (early 70's) before striking out on his own in early 70's,
    maybe a 15 year run of crucial work for others & himself followed by 25 years of

put down the red stripe & oxtail K & school us proper

upsetter & striker - labrish =

when i figure out mp3s on the puter i'll share
    although i don't have much raer perry

• Options

I'd say from his genesis days at Studio 1 in the early 60's ('63? - remember I'm just going by the records I've listened to and pinpointing era's through that) until the very late 70's. Ska to rocksteady to roots, there aren't many who can flex boom tunes in all three like that (Alton Ellis and the Wailers are the only other ones that come to mind right now).

Kevin.

Ska to rocksteady to roots, there aren't many who can flex boom tunes in all three like that (Alton Ellis and the Wailers are the only other ones that come to mind right now).

Quincy Jones.

Ska to rocksteady to roots, there aren't many who can flex boom tunes in all three like that (Alton Ellis and the Wailers are the only other ones that come to mind right now).

winston riley (ska? but mod dancehall too), coxson dodd, .
    ?

?

Not get off track. Jones is someone who also made an impact at various era.
    Whatever.

?

Not get off track. Jones is someone who also made an impact at various ERAS.
    Whatever.

• Options

Quincy Jones.

I've yet to hear one Jones' ska, rocksteady or roots (no pun) tune. Riley's post ska, no?
    K.

Quincy Jones.

I've yet to hear one Jones' ska, rocksteady or roots (no pun) tune. Riley's post ska, no?
    K.

I just meant within his own genre.

• Options

I see Dodd as more of a businessman that liked music. I wholeheartedly respect his body of work (which is gargantuan), but I feel he did it more out of business savy than any great artistic drive.

K.

. Riley's post ska, no?
    K.

couldn't think of any pre-rocksteady,
    but you know more than i,
    if you can't site up any examples
    then the only thing i'm saying is from
    rocksteady to ring the alarm & beyond,
    mr techniques always impressed me
    for his reggae hit mojo, 30+ years ?

quincy is great, but what reggie muzak has he produced ?

• Options

Quincy Jones.

K.

I just meant within his own genre.

I know. Jones killed shit fro much longer than Perry, but apples and oranges, no?

K.

I see Dodd as more of a businessman that liked music. I wholeheartedly respect his body of work (which is gargantuan), but I feel he did it more out of business savy than any great artistic drive.

K.

yes & no, his skill was putting the pieces together,
    & some amazing pieces those were.
    & yes, he was equal parts business man & music fan
    who had an ear for what he wanted,
    even if he couldn't make it happen himself.
    he had a music drive, just not the talent, so he surrounded himself with the best
    (scientist mixing those studio 12", genius !)

• Options

K.

yes & no, his skill was putting the pieces together,
    & some amazing pieces those were.
    & yes, he was equal parts business man & music fan
    who had an ear for what he wanted,
    even if he couldn't make it happen himself.
    he had a music drive, just not the talent, so he surrounded himself with the best
    (scientist mixing those studio 12", genius !)

I have many of the Studio 1 12's and love them to (vinyl) death, but if we're doing a comparison here, I'll let a Black Art 12 run the whole way whereas I'm always mixing out of the Studio 1 12's. Much more going on in the PErry 12's IMO.

Dodd did perform on at least one of this records I know of, "Get Ready IT's Rock Steady" by The Soul Agents is him and JAckie Mittoo...and if you think about the group name it makes sense.

K.

I have many of the Studio 1 12's and love them to (vinyl) death, but if we're doing a comparison here, I'll let a Black Art 12 run the whole way whereas I'm always mixing out of the Studio 1 12's. Much more going on in the PErry 12's IMO.

Dodd did perform on at least one of this records I know of, "Get Ready IT's Rock Steady" by The Soul Agents is him and JAckie Mittoo...and if you think about the group name it makes sense.

K.

right on, more hit shots from black ark 12" than studio one,
    but,
    the ones that scientist mixed (i think you can hear the difference)
    are atleast as strong as some of the upsetters,
    i'm thinking "why baby why" cables, jackie mittoo "in cold blood",
    heptones "equal rights", bob andy - "desperate lover"
    and a few that are escaping me, have some wicked mixes on them
    (for studio one 12")
    i know some other are duds, no mix up & effects

K, can i pm you some reggae questions that have been bugging me forever ?
    thanx

Bomp

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i think faux hit the nail on the head

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Same can be said for Sun Ra and Fela Kuti. I bring them together because I remember first hearing about both in the early says of "Spin" magazine. To read interviews with bands whom I liked, have an appreciate for them? It always leads to "why haven't I heard about this sooner?" With Lee Perry, it was that big "Grand Royal" article that opened my eyes and ears. I knew of some of the records he worked on, but wasn't aware of how deep he went, especially when it came to burying master reels in the earth. I always saw the Dr. Alimantado album but never associated it with "anything special".

That's not to say that Perry is the be all end all. People love, praise, and fetishize any specific "golden era", and Perry represents a golden era in reggae. But there are a lot of duds in his catalog too, A LOT.

I don't know about "overexoticized", but I understand what is being asked. I do hope that for people who are being introduced to reggae and ska for the first time with Perry, they'll go further and check out everyone else. It's a style of music I love, and wish I had enough time in my life to explore it all.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Underrated.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    well some of his stuff is not that good ("jah jah sit upon his rainbow throne, in the sky") but then you have stuff like Blackboard Jungle Dub which is so off the wall and genial i don't think you can dispute his brilliance. 69 - 78 was unfuckwitable, more or less.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i saw him perform in 1998 in philly, then again later in jamaica in 2007 at sav la mar for his first return to the island in 30 years. the first time, in 98, the performance was incredible, 2 sets and on fire, no antics- instead just a ton of genuine charisma. then a decade later he was awful and awful. he performed so poorly and got no love it was really bad. he didn't seem to want to be there and he closed with a cover of exodus that was bad, very bad. he seemed exhausted and uninspired and dusted perhaps. but in his time certainly he was great and prolific and very original.

i agree with whoever said earlier in this thread that you shouldn't bother to comment if you don't even like reggae to begin with. it's fine, everyone knows that some like it, some do not and there is not much middle ground.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Lucky you! I have seen him three times since 1997 and they were all awful. The last two were free and I still felt like I had been taken.

I'm just saying what's already been expressed, but it's worth repeating; the man's production sound and The Upsetters work is mind-blowing. There is a melancholy darkness about Dodd productions of the late 60s - mid-70s run that I prefer to Perry's ghostly darkness by a sliver, but that's personal taste.
    Roast Fish and Cornbread = INCREDIBLE

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Funny I saw him in '98 too, at the Roxy in NY. He was totally bugged out and sort of out of control, kept ranting about cockroaches. I can't remeber who backed him (maybe Roots Radics?), but the band was really tight. Anyway, I've been a fan since the Arkology boxed set came out, good stuff.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Perry definitely owes a huge part of his latter day success to that Grand Royal article. It seems a stretch to give so much credit to a somewhat niche magazine, but just knowing how many people I knew who read that shit and bought a Lee Perry record, multiplied across the world ...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    Perry definitely owes a huge part of his latter day success to that Grand Royal article. It seems a stretch to give so much credit to a somewhat niche magazine, but just knowing how many people I knew who read that shit and bought a Lee Perry record, multiplied across the world ...

There must be an inoffensive way of saying GTFOOHWTBS, but I can't think of it right now.

How latter-day are we talking?
    Around the world?
    Grand Royal?

• I balled Mad Professors girl.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:

Ridiculous.