Dudes making HipHop - where to?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    my white side shows in the winter in philly

And your nigga side only shows on the internet?

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i dont take pictures and post them on myspace every time im in the hood
    maybe tomorrow
    thes i apologize for ruining your shit

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    are you secretly z-ro's undercover lover?
    everything i see you write includes something about the dude
    even if that was your close homie, niggas dont talk like you do about their homeboys
    i dont think ive ever seen anyone dick ride so hard for some dude
    would you stop jocking dude so hard if i can schedule a meeting so you guys can chill and shoot the shit?

And I've never seen someone lean so heavily on the "one drop rule".

Lumin makes Alicia Keys look like Charlie Murphy.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    At the same time it's a trip when you have fan expectations possibly impeding your creative growth.

This is an excellent point. I think about that shit a lot and have had conversations with other artists about it. It's a give and take.

Is your new music going to be that different?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Hip Hop lost a railroad to the paddle move

when its time to build b-boys work routers to get in the groove

carpentry and prestidigitation puns = hip hop '09

THE DURN PADDLE MOVE IS WUT DUN GOT MEH!

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Hip Hop lost a railroad to the paddle move

when its time to build b-boys work routers to get in the groove

carpentry and prestidigitation puns = hip hop '09

THE DURN PADDLE MOVE IS WUT DUN GOT MEH!

There will be blood oilman.....

our music will be the same, only BETTER!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    People That Designed and Built The Nice Cabinetry Under The Stairs

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I saw some dude at the club with a ABN shirt. I highly doubt he know the origins and was just wearing it because it was "dramatic".

Harv:

i got a few "southern beats", srsly. I'd mess with Z-Ro and all of that. I'm trying to do some of that stuff as well.

That's cool...I can respect that. And as you do that, do consider that when it comes to Texas shit...we're still very much into the g-funk sound i.e. all those creepy synths mixed in with our bottom line shuffle drum country rap tunes repertoire.

Dallas is trying really hard right now to turn us into Atlanta with all that simpleton shit. But rest assured that Houston, Austin, and San Antonio are still very much Screwed Up IV Life.

Mostly,

Send Z-Ro "Bumblebee Bounce" or post it hurr. I just found a folder of yours on my work computer and this schitt is really nice.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    reading this thread, I'm fully convinced that Harvey is Bill O'Reilly. the end

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    a whopping 35% percent of Blacks in American are unemployed.

Not exactly. 35% of Black YOUTH are unemployed. The unemployment rate for African Americans, as a whole, is closer to 10% (which is still twice as high as the national average). The youth rate is also higher compared to the national average, but in general, youth unemployment is high given the limited range of opportunities open to them, especially if you're a youth of color.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    The dough matters more than anything else to me.

thats some stupid shit to say.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts

we're sold out tomorrow night. PEACE

sounds like it's gonna be a hot show w/ ccr.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    http://www.bls.gov/webapps/legacy/cpsatab2.htm

Series title: (Unadj) Unemployment Rate - Black or African American
    Labor force status: Unemployment rate
    Type of data: Percent
    Race: Black or African American

Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
    1998 9.6 9.9 9.4 8.5 8.7 9.1 10.4 9.1 9.0 8.2 8.1 7.1 8.9
    1999 7.9 8.6 8.2 7.3 7.3 7.9 9.6 8.0 8.4 7.9 7.6 7.2 8.0
    2000 8.3 8.3 7.4 6.5 7.6 8.0 8.5 8.1 7.1 7.0 7.1 6.9 7.6
    2001 8.4 7.9 8.5 7.4 7.7 8.6 8.8 9.3 8.6 9.1 9.5 9.4 8.6
    2002 10.3 10.2 10.8 10.1 9.9 10.8 10.7 10.0 9.3 9.4 10.5 10.7 10.2
    2003 10.9 11.1 10.6 10.3 10.5 12.0 12.0 11.0 10.6 10.9 10.1 9.7 10.8
    2004 10.7 10.0 10.5 9.3 9.6 10.7 12.0 10.5 9.9 10.4 10.6 10.4 10.4
    2005 11.0 11.2 10.5 9.7 9.7 10.8 10.2 9.7 9.0 8.8 10.5 8.9 10.0
    2006 9.1 9.6 9.4 8.8 8.4 9.4 10.5 8.8 8.8 8.1 8.4 7.9 8.9
    2007 8.2 8.2 8.3 7.8 8.1 9.0 8.9 7.7 7.9 8.2 8.3 8.6 8.3
    2008 9.4 8.4 9.0 8.2

And this is from 2005. Where are you getting 30%+ from?
    http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/bawnews/unemployment1206

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    The dough matters more than anything else to me.

thats some stupid shit to say.

at least he is honest about it.
    i personally accept that there is very little chance that i will make any money off of music that I like, so I am resigned to making it for the love of the music, but that is just my p.o.v

I saw some dude at the club with a ABN shirt. I highly doubt he know the origins and was just wearing it because it was "dramatic".

Harv:

i got a few "southern beats", srsly. I'd mess with Z-Ro and all of that. I'm trying to do some of that stuff as well.

That's cool...I can respect that. And as you do that, do consider that when it comes to Texas shit...we're still very much into the g-funk sound i.e. all those creepy synths mixed in with our bottom line shuffle drum country rap tunes repertoire.

Dallas is trying really hard right now to turn us into Atlanta with all that simpleton shit. But rest assured that Houston, Austin, and San Antonio are still very much Screwed Up IV Life.

Mostly,

Send Z-Ro "Bumblebee Bounce" or post it hurr. I just found a folder of yours on my work computer and this schitt is really nice.

that's EXACTLY one of the beats I was thinking about. The album i'm working on, that might be the first cut actually on the whole damn CD/thingthatllgetdownloadedbutimokaywiththat.

JoshyCause is supposed to play a bassline on that as well.

Oh no, don't put me on ignore...not that, never that...aaaaaaaaagggghhh!!!

But anyway, on crack rap...who are you talking about that I like or that I've referenced here that promotes crack in a positive way? Z-Ro mentions selling as a youngster and constantly addresses the struggle to move away from such bullshit. I've had serious addicts in my family too. It's painful shit and listening to someone like Ro who has also suffered through similar shit actually helps me through the pain. Not to say that it would do the same for you...but to just dismiss such a deep artist wholesale just because he talks about crack issues is wack as fuck on your part.

Furthermore, it doesn't address the SOUNDS of the music...the beats (and in many cases the soul) behind the messages...which is what I thought this thread was about. Purists don't look at dudes like Mannie Fresh and Juicy J, let alone a Salih Williams or Mr. Lee, as skilled as their boom-bap counterparts...and that's grade A bullshit through and through.

Whether you want to realize that, at the same time that you could realize that me saying respect your neighbor doesn't necessarily imply that what you are doing on your own is wrong, is completely up to you.

And for me, harboring anymosity (which isn't what I'm doing here) and calling them like I see them...are not the same thing.

I ride with you on this one, Harvey. a whopping 35% percent of Blacks in American are unemployed. Ultimate ,to so many of us rap is a come up. Most of us have been locked out of the mainstream economy so Hip Hop kinda bleeds into the underground economony. So many of these purist (for some reason so many folks just can't seem to understand the economic aspect of things.) dudes don't see it's all about ecomonics now.When I see a brother making money at this I ain't gonna knock him. The dough matters more than anything else to me.

I think it all comes down to what people perceive hip-hop to be. Is it just some abstract idea that can be removed from its initial intent and bastardized into whatever whimsical breeze that any Joe Blow can muster? Well...yes, that's the reality of any idea being absorbed into a non-localized context.

But if so called hip-hop purists really want to be pure about what hip-hop is, it should always be in touch with its roots...which are squarely in the hood. You lose the hood and you are no longer dealing in hip-hop IMO. Maybe you are still making great music/art...but at that point you really have to start looking at whether or not you are coopting these techniques into areas that contradict the overriding goal of promoting and improving hood life.

First and foremost, this is a community thing. And while woodshed movements are always vital, they can't get so insolated to the point of becoming ego-centered i.e. European. And yes, spiritually removing yourself from the neighborhood, building "community" outside of that neighborhood, then looking back at the neighborhood with disdain because you can't figure out why the neighborhood doesn't naturally gravitate towards your so-called higher self...isn't community based in a hip-hop sort of way.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    You lose the hood and you are no longer dealing in hip-hop IMO. Maybe you are still making great music/art...but at that point you really have to start looking at whether or not you are coopting these techniques into areas that contradict the overriding goal of promoting and improving hood life.

Why is it hood though? Wouldn't disenfranchised be a more accurate term? I've always felt that the cultural aspect of hip hop is about forging community, and acceptance where it otherwise doesn't exist. Are you gonna try and say that Zephyr isn't hip hop cause he wasn't from the hood? Hip hop has nothing to do with economics and crime rate at the end of the day. Sure, the geography of its origin coincides with some hood shit, but really its about people coming together and getting down enjoying something. Dudes rapping about how much money they've made off of the drug game, and not rapping about how many community centers they've built is not doing anything for the 'hood', so by this logic are they un-hip hop?

The last thing I want to do with my precious time on Earth is start asome bullshit argument on Soulstrut.com/ubbthreads. But, Harvey I would like to know if you rap, dj, write, or break, or if you somehow find yourself situated in the midst of hip hop for some other reasons. If you aren't doing any of the above, then you're really just coopting these techniques into areas that contradict the overriding goal of promoting and improving hip hop.

On a far more relevant note, I was listening to the radio today during "Back in the Day Buffet Hour," and they were playing all of the stuff that I was listening to in high school. I was wondering if younger people listening to these same songs find them devoid of significance, or if they appreciate the aesthetic as compared to contemporary stuff. Just a though.

You lose the hood and you are no longer dealing in hip-hop IMO. Maybe you are still making great music/art...but at that point you really have to start looking at whether or not you are coopting these techniques into areas that contradict the overriding goal of promoting and improving hood life.

Why is it hood though? Wouldn't disenfranchised be a more accurate term? I've always felt that the cultural aspect of hip hop is about forging community, and acceptance where it otherwise doesn't exist. Are you gonna try and say that Zephyr isn't hip hop cause he wasn't from the hood? Hip hop has nothing to do with economics and crime rate at the end of the day. Sure, the geography of its origin coincides with some hood shit, but really its about people coming together and getting down enjoying something. Dudes rapping about how much money they've made off of the drug game, and not rapping about how many community centers they've built is not doing anything for the 'hood', so by this logic are they un-hip hop?

The last thing I want to do with my precious time on Earth is start asome bullshit argument on Soulstrut.com/ubbthreads. But, Harvey I would like to know if you rap, dj, write, or break, or if you somehow find yourself situated in the midst of hip hop for some other reasons. If you aren't doing any of the above, then you're really just coopting these techniques into areas that contradict the overriding goal of promoting and improving hip hop.

On a far more relevant note, I was listening to the radio today during "Back in the Day Buffet Hour," and they were playing all of the stuff that I was listening to in high school. I was wondering if younger people listening to these same songs find them devoid of significance, or if they appreciate the aesthetic as compared to contemporary stuff. Just a though.

When I say hood...it does kinda mean disenfranchised, IF[/b] you want to speak the language of the oppressor. But I choose not to do that. I know who I'm talking about, those who I'm talking about know who I'm talking about...and that's good enough for me.

And when I say hood...it has very little to do with crime rates. There are middle class hoods as well as unfortunately deprived hoods. It has more to do with a shared world view than it has to do with race even. I can put it this way, when the hood gets put on blast...who's there weathering the storm? When the hood is being neglected by others...who is there putting in work? That's how you know who's who...

And as far as crack...it's an unfotunate reality, but one that folks should be able to handle as a topic. Of course it's a blight. But beyond that, you have to realize that the feds bring the shit in, the cops are in on the distribution and regulation, and that as long as it's here there are going to be a certain number of people who are going to dip into it for some quick cash. It's a trap for sure, but one that shouldn't turn you into a blushing Barbie doll at the mere mention of it.

And yes, I have deejayed plenty over the years. And now, I teach an afterschool program where artists come in and learn the kids the tricks of the trade. So yeah, I'm up in this shit far beyond just pundit status.

And what really disgusts me nowadays is that it seems that the very people who put the most effort into claiming how hip-hop they are by their adherence to particular standards are those that are most disconnected from the actual, modern hip-hop experience. Doing boom-bap 101 for fratboys every weekend may very well be fun and rewarding...I don't deny that. But I can't look at that and put it on the same level with some NWA shit, or even some Big Moe shit for that matter...because basically, afterbirth doesn't eventually get up and walk like a baby does.

Also, that afterbirth has NO[/b] room to openly complain about what that baby goes on to do with its own life.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Could you at least try to be less corny?

• because basically, afterbirth doesn't eventually get up and walk like a baby does.

Also, that afterbirth has NO[/b] room to openly complain about what that baby goes on to do with its own life.

DAMn, Shied is on fire today!

I am blushing Barbie doll on the sidelines with popcorn.

• Could you at least try to be less corny?

that is like asking the sun not to shine, or the birds not to sing.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

because basically, afterbirth doesn't eventually get up and walk like a baby does.

DAMn, Shied is on fire today!

sayin.

my jaw just dropped.

now, back to the

Not to beat a dead horse, but this is the kind of thing I'm talking about...

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/...TY&pageId=7.1.1

You send a retro boombapper to do the same job and it just ain't gonna go down right.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

You send a retro boombapper to do the same job and it just ain't gonna go down right.
    WHAT. THE. FUCK.
    14 YEAR OLDS IN AN ADULT PRISON?

Classic Nawfside braids / Soufside fades action...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Doing boom-bap 101 for fratboys every weekend may very well be fun and rewarding...I don't deny that. But I can't look at that and put it on the same level with some NWA shit, or even some Big Moe shit for that matter...because basically, afterbirth doesn't eventually get up and walk like a baby does.

I think this could just as easily apply to any of the music you ride for.

"Making Chopped & Screwed mixes 101 for a bunch of dudes spaced out on cough medicine may also be fun & rewarding...I can't deny that. But I can't look at that and put it on the same level with some NWA shit, or even some Yomo & Maulkie shit for that matter...because basically, that music sucks."

Doing boom-bap 101 for fratboys every weekend may very well be fun and rewarding...I don't deny that. But I can't look at that and put it on the same level with some NWA shit, or even some Big Moe shit for that matter...because basically, afterbirth doesn't eventually get up and walk like a baby does.

I think this could just as easily apply to any of the music you ride for.

"Making Chopped & Screwed mixes 101 for a bunch of dudes spaced out on cough medicine may also be fun & rewarding...I can't deny that. But I can't look at that and put it on the same level with some NWA shit, or even some Yomo & Maulkie shit for that matter...because basically, that music sucks."

DJ Screw 101 is still the most hip-hop thing to happen since Mantronix started messing with the 808.

The foundation:

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Are other states co-opting hip-hop? I'm not convinced that anything made outside of the east coast of the USA and/or California can be properly called rap music. Maybe Z-Ro's music is just some false & hollow imitation of a musical form which belongs to a specific local & all of these southern rappers are carpetbagging on that real rap schitt?