who rides for aphex twin?

doomdoom 305 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
started listening to more electronic music again. i find it soothing at work and when travelling. forgot which analords i thought was good. i have to go through those again. my favourite right now is 'the tuss' though. love that shit.

Comments

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

Selected Ambient Works, Vol. 2

And

Richard D. James Album

Were genre changing albums, all of his experiments are interesting, but these two albums for me were perfectly put together. I have some 12inches of his earlier AFX and analogue bubblebath which are good, but nothing revolutionary.

Dude has some ridiculous amount of unreleased material, like 1,000 albums worth.

Endorsed.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    He has made a large amount of tracks and yes, of course, some of them are excellent.

I'll ride.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    early stuff yeah
    dude put out a lot of later garbage or "noise" tracks

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I still come back to Selected Ambient Works, Vol. 2 every once in a while. That Xtal joint was my shit back in the day. Going to sleep, walking to class, smoking. It fits all those situations perfectly.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    RDJ album is one of my favorite albums ever, one of those records I listened to hundreds of times in my teens.

This was my favorite cut off Drukqs...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

I'll see you those two, and raise you an

One of my all time faves.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    RDJ album is one of my favorite albums ever, one of those records I listened to hundreds of times in my teens.

there were some really beautiful tracks on there (melody-wise) but a whole bunch of garbage too. i haven't checked much from him since then, anything worthwhile?

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Ride til i die, bitch.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    his videos are somethin else too.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Definition of

Still fresh in my eyes...

• GnarliamentGnarliament 375 Posts
    I havent heard all the analords, but the Chosen Lords cd is fire.

• chrisflyerchrisflyer 275 Posts
    this whole thread. I celebrate his entire catalog.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I ride for him and all his work.

I've been getting back into some electronic music lately as well. The new Clark album "Turning Dragon" is pretty dope and same with the preceding Ted EP. I kind of like the EP more.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I thought it was lame how his music got lumped into that whole shitty IDM movement, his music stands alone imo.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

Definition of

Still fresh in my eyes...

That was like watching a beautiful train wreck--couldn't take my eyes off of it.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

This thread inspired me to pull this out:

The "On" single, which I like a bunch.

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
    good thread -- his "Richard D James" LP and the "come to daddy" EP were soundtracks to my driving around in my car at college al those years ago!! i also dug half of "drukqs"

-- man i need to get these on vinyl

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Windowlicker is that ish. I like his early stuff but could never get into his noise shit. I picked up one of his cds for cheap 2nd hand a few weeks back and played it at work. One of the girls who's knowledge of music is limited was very impressed that the cd was from 96 and commented that he was way ahead of his time. Most of his early work still stands up well to todays production standards.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Someone gave me this album back when it dropped cause he knew I like Electronia.

I tried to get thru it but

But ill give him props though, he is is own animal.

Ill take Alec Empire.

• GnarliamentGnarliament 375 Posts
    Elbonia

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I've heard a few Aphex Twin songs here and there, but his music was just sorta out of the focus of what I was listening to back then. Which is weird, because I used to hear/read a lot about him, but just never listen. And a lot of the lame 'experimental' music I was making at the time was much in the same vein.

So I think I should pick up some albums and educate myself.

So far it looks like I'm going to get Ambient Works Vol 2 and Richard D James. Any others? I'm always interested in early material from artists I'm just getting into, so maybe some of his first releases that are worth checking out??

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    ...I Care Because You Do>Richard D. James

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

started listening to more electronic music again. i find it soothing at work and when travelling. forgot which analords i thought was good. i have to go through those again.

my favourite right now is 'the tuss' though. love that shit.

I ride fo' life.

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    I ride for some his tunes, but doesn't dude have an arsenal of weapons? This article seems to confirm it:
    Talmbout he's rollin in his TANK???

My tank was made for the British army right after World War II. It's a big toy???larger than an ice cream truck, heavier than 9,500 pounds when combat-ready, with big fat wheels. And a gun.

Aphex Twin Community

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

That's some great song writing there. I love this song too.

I don't know his whole catalog, but I get down. I wasn't really into too much of his stuff at the time, but when I saw the druqks vinyl and was like "sheeeit, this is crazy. I need to own this. It's huge!"

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I'll see you those two, and raise you an

One of my all time faves.

Though the cover used to freak my girlfriend out so much that I used to have to hide it.

I used to check out everything he released up to Drukqs. Haven't heard anything more recent than that so not sure if he's still going strong or not.