Chico Mann Related

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Who rides for this dude and his band?!?!!? Caught him by chance last night in Frisco and that shit was DOPE. The evening was kind of strange in of itself, I went out to some spots to promote, shake babies, kiss hands etc and the spot across the way was having dude and his band. I walked in with my homie and I end up picking up a 12'' single on the strength. I turn and I start talking to this merch cat and it was Ticklah. If you don't know, dude has been killing it on the keys on a lot of records I own for a lot of different bands, I was genuinely glad to meet him and give him props.Then Chico does his thing. Now, I've been hearing about him but I had really no idea how his shit sounds. Honestly, it's exactly what I've been waiting for: a latino dude doing real deal latin music but with this type of contemporary knock. It was part Prince part Willie Colon, drum machines meets timbales. So in the midst of enjoying their show, this dude mentioned "yeah that's Vinia Mojica singin'". I was "WTF??!!", maybe it was the drinks I had but again I was a little in awe of casually meeting random artistes I actually give a fuck about. She's mad cute to boot.Anyways, that was my evening sorry for the rambling but that shit was great on a lot of different levels. I think they might be doing another show and I'mma go again with my lady.

Comments

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Yea he just played afrofunke and I missed it. I heard he has like the pimped out synth orchestra.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    i really like his album

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I caught them at the Echoplex this past weekend, right before they went up north.

I can't say it was my bag - Afro funk meets electro isn't really my steez but I could see it going over well with, say, the KCRW crowd (that's not a diss).

I was totally feeling Boogaloo Assassins (who were on the same bill) but any Latin band that specializes in boogaloos is likely to appeal to me, regardless.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I dig the record.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I've been going on about these guys for a while in the Announcements section and on here. They play in NJ & BK quite a bit, at my place, Black Betty, BPM. Really good live show where people dance and have fun (raer in NYC). The beats are banging.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

I can't say it was my bag - Afro funk meets electro isn't really my steez

DO YOU POARTY?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Oh yeah, Chico Mann is the band... leader is Marcos from Antibalas and Ocote Soul Sounds.

• Marcos is the shit. The first album was cool, but wait til you hear the new one that will be dropping (hopefully before too long!) BACKUP VOCALS BY VINIA MOJICA!

I had Marcos on my radio show a couple months back. You can peep the show (interview interspersed with tunes he selected including new joints off the upcoming record) DOWNLOAD HERE[/b].

Or stream it on this page (the show is called "Passport" and you just click on the lil icon that looks like audio waves I guess? it's a bad icon)

also, a week before that, Victor (aka Ticklah) came on the show talking bout his album and antibalas and other stuff, you can hear that show HERE[/b].

thanks, bumping the 12'' I got last night.

BTW: Did you do a Erykah Badu remix? Monk sent me the e-mail linkythingamadoodad

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    I end up picking up a 12'' single on the strength.

was that the two tracker w/ remixes? I got that one and love it

"Who You Runnin' From" Quantic Remix b/w Soul Freedom Remix

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    "Who You Runnin' From" Quantic Remix b/w Soul Freedom Remix

that's the one

• thanks, bumping the 12'' I got last night.

BTW: Did you do a Erykah Badu remix? Monk sent me the e-mail linkythingamadoodad

yeah, 2 badu rmxs. gonna be a nice lil 12" alongside monk's dubby version - BSTRD BOOTS, coming soon.

need to cop the quantic remix, haven't heard that yet.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    yeah, chico mann's sound is definitely refreshing. he did a dope remix of one of DRM's tracks from Bastard Jazz that i'm co-producing. going to be a solid release imo.

ez.

kg.