What's your favorite Donald Byrd?

2»

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    never cared for his funky stuff(any one needing "Street lady" or "electric byrd" holleur), but I ride for these:

• sysfunksysfunk 32 Posts
    I've been listening to Street Lady a lot recently. Great music for the spring.

I had a chat about the "Thank You ..." album with the local record store owner a few days ago, he said it had been in the shelf for several weeks, apparently jazz funk is currently not a big thing at the moment. At least over here.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I
    I had a chat about the "Thank You ..." album with the local record store owner a few days ago, he said it had been in the shelf for several weeks, apparently jazz funk is currently not a big thing at the moment. At least over here.

Naw, that record is UBER-COMMON. Actually I saw it for a good 5+ years before grabbing it. The cover always screamed "COSBY SHOW THEME SONG JAHZZZZZZZZzzzzZZZ FONK!".

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I've passed on this so many times. I will listen to it next time.

• Electric Byrd i find to be way dope. it was a great find to, considering i first listened to it while in a 69-71 electric jazz phase and thought other then Byrd's straight ahead jazz on blue note he went straight into the Mizell Brother's produced records. Electric Byrd can't be catagorized by either time period.

i recently got "Kofi" anyone know the story behind that record? I guess it was comprised of unreleased material from the 69' session? at least that's what i've read.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Electric Byrd i find to be way dope. it was a great find to, considering i first listened to it while in a 69-71 electric jazz phase and thought other then Byrd's straight ahead jazz on blue note he went straight into the Mizell Brother's produced records. Electric Byrd can't be catagorized by either time period.

i recently got "Kofi" anyone know the story behind that record? I guess it was comprised of unreleased material from the 69' session? at least that's what i've read.

Yeah, that Kofi came out somewhere in the mid 90's I think. Must have been a session they had laying on the shelves at Blue Note. I like it.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

Oh yeah! I love electric byrd. All the rest mentioned are great as well

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Actually I celebrate his entire Blue Note catalogue

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    ohh yeah, shouts to my pops cause all the Byrd's i own are from his collection. respeckt.

• Steppin' Into Tomorrow is my favourite and most listened. The first one I found, listened to it to death. Think Twice[/b]

one of my first jazz LPs. watts prophets track is pretty nice too.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Free Form
    A New Perspective
    Off To The Races
    These are all great albums. I really liked the early stuff he recorded in Paris too, nice if you are into the straight ahead jazz stuff. Available cheap in the "Jazz In Paris" reissue CD series.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Actually I celebrate his entire Blue Note catalogue

Thats a whole lot of records!!

I actually haven't listened to most of these in a while, but the one thats gotten appreciated by me a lot in the past year or so is STEPPING INTO TOMORROW...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I've passed on this so many times. I will listen to it next time.

have to cosign "Fancy Free" and also add

But on the strength I just think that the Black Byrd/Street Lady/Places And Spaces/Stepping Into Tomorrow run is pretty unfuckwithable. "Places And Spaces" probably wins for my favorite from front to back though. I also have to add "Ethiopian Kights" as up there as well.

But by far my favorite joint of his

LOVE HAS COME AROUND[/b]

[/theend]