This week in Austin

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
First off, here's a shot from the Z-Ro show the other night...Here's a new clurb rap song by PLA & Dok Holiday...http://www.zshare.net/audio/11918765aff0c7a1/Here's the Screw Shop's latest mix...I'll never let you forget that Mr. & Mrs. 512 is on the way...And for those who aren't already knowing... Come tomorrow, I should be able to post up a recorded version of the song.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Hells yeah...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Also, me, Klever and Mel @ Beauty Bar on Saturday (Sorry Harvey... )

Also, me, Klever and Mel @ Beauty Bar on Saturday (Sorry Harvey... )

No prob, Cos.

Hipsteur wap 4 wife!

it must be great to grow a set of nuts behind a keyboard, please let me know what city, what block and what vicinity you would like to break it down to me face to face. i will happily let you know in person why my voice is so monotone.

- Trae, tonight from a live internet chat with fans and hateurs

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm excited to eat some good BBQ.

I'm excited to eat some good BBQ.

Where ya planning to get it?

Lately for us, it's been the 3-person family pack from Green Mesquite on Barton Springs (just west of Lamar).

I used to ride really hard for Ruby's on 29th (just east of Guadalupe), but they raised their prices right about the same time I realized that I had eaten there too much already.

Iron Works, which is at Red River and Cesar Chavez, is pretty good...as is of course Hoover's over on Manor (east of IH-35).

But if you really want the down and dirty, hit up Sam's on East 12th. They're open until 3AM on the weekends.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The first time I went to Green Mesquite I asked the dude "Should I get the 2 meat or 3 meat plate?" Dude told me to get the 3 and I did. So much food. I should have heeded the fact that my waiter was an easy 350 pounds. But sad to say I'm getting in at 6pm and leaving at 1am the next day so I don't have the luxury of picking and choosing - so I will not be able to "get it like I know I want it."

But were it up to me, I would take the hour drive to Lockhart and go to Smitty's. Best BBQ I ever had in my life.

The first time I went to Green Mesquite I asked the dude "Should I get the 2 meat or 3 meat plate?" Dude told me to get the 3 and I did. So much food. I should have heeded the fact that my waiter was an easy 350 pounds. But sad to say I'm getting in at 6pm and leaving at 1am the next day so I don't have the luxury of picking and choosing - so I will not be able to "get it like I know I want it."

But were it up to me, I would take the hour drive to Lockhart and go to Smitty's. Best BBQ I ever had in my life.

Great choice, but Lockhart-wise...I'm extremely loyal to Black's.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I know Harv hates on most places south of the river, but seriously, Artz Rib House, corny name notwithstanding, is killer.

And Sam's closes at 3am now? The first time I went was about 3am, back when they were open 'til 4am (and back when I was ever out that late). That fire they had in the early 90s was really sad 'cause they lost all those autographed paper plates.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I've only been to Lockhart once and we did the Smitty's thing, and I've been told that the next time I go I have to go to Black's and then make my choice between the two. I plan on going one of thesse days and bringing my wife, who is a huge BBQ fan (even though she grew up on Everett & Jones - which isn't bad to me but never really knocked my socks off.)

And Sam's closes at 3am now? The first time I went was about 3am, back when they were open 'til 4am (and back when I was ever out that late).

I thought it was 4AM, but something I just saw online said 3AM...so I went with that (just to not lead Cosmo into a 3:30AM trip for potentially nothing).

Also, there's a truck that now sets up shop on the weekends at MLK and Springdale that always seems to have a big ass line...even though it's right next to Willie's Barbeque. I gotta go check that out here in the very near future...

I've only been to Lockhart once and we did the Smitty's thing, and I've been told that the next time I go I have to go to Black's and then make my choice between the two.

Yep, and once you do make that choice...it's a out of bounds to ever cross back over to the spot you didn't select.

My wife grew up going to Black's...so I pretty much inherited her choice and despite me suggesting a couple of times that we try out Smitty's, she absolutely refuses to stray from Black's. And ultimately I'm fine with that, as Black's is about as real deal as it gets...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I've only been to Lockhart once and we did the Smitty's thing, and I've been told that the next time I go I have to go to Black's and then make my choice between the two.

Yep, and once you do make that choice...it's a out of bounds to ever cross back over to the spot you didn't select.

My wife grew up going to Black's...so I pretty much inherited her choice and despite me suggesting a couple of times that we try out Smitty's, she absolutely refuses to stray from Black's. And ultimately I'm fine with that, as Black's is about as real deal as it gets...

Yeah, why complain? If it's even in the same ballpark you're looking at a good situation.

But in all honestly, even if I just end up Frickin' with the Saltlick at Austin Airport, I'll still be pretty content.

Barbeque-wise, you know what no one does here is barbeque shrimp. You know, the big tiger shrimp with a piece of bacon wrapped around it dipped in sauce and cooked on a grill. When I lived in Houston and we'd buy our seafood from under the bridge in Kemah, we'd eat the hell out of those. But only 3 hours drive away in Austin, barbeque shrimp are pretty much completely off the radar.

Which is why I love any time I ever visit Pappadeaux (which is right near my house up in the Northeast), even if it's just to pick up a to-go order. There's a whole special breed of Austinite that frequents that place. You can see/feel the difference in aura as soon as you walk in there. Makes me feel like I'm back in Houston where it's not so frowned upon to be from the backwoods and proud of it.

Speaking of which, Luling's Watermelon Thump isn't too far away. That's the little town not too far past Lockhart where Salih and the Williams family has their record shop. We'll be going through there (after stopping off at Black's of course) in a couple eof weeks on our way to Port Aransas, but I'm already amped to bring my daughter down for another whole day of festivities in Luling.

Oh yeah, we're having a big Cajun shrimp boil at our house Juneteenth weekend when our CVE folks will be down for a show. Ridd and Ebow were in town a couple of weekends ago and my wife almost knocked them out with her jerked talapia and bunan combo.

Yep, we stay eating good down chea.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Barbeque-wise, you know what no one does here is barbeque shrimp.

Ah, but what do you know about barbecued CRAB? Bit of a misnomer, as it's actually crab covered in seasoning and fried. Not softshell crab, either. I'm talking the kind of crab you catch in Gulf inlets with chicken necks tied to kite string.

They're usually served at places that have entire rolls of paper towels on the table and a massive Rubbermaid garbage can every 10 feet or so for easy access.

Barbeque-wise, you know what no one does here is barbeque shrimp.

Ah, but what do you know about barbecued CRAB? Bit of a misnomer, as it's actually crab covered in seasoning and fried. Not softshell crab, either. I'm talking the kind of crab you catch in Gulf inlets with chicken necks tied to kite string.

They're usually served at places that have entire rolls of paper towels on the table and a massive Rubbermaid garbage can every 10 feet or so for easy access.

They used to have them at the Crazy Cajun in Seabrook (Houston)...good stuff.

And yeah, your description fits perfectly along with the owner roaming around to shoot the shit with you at your table, making sure that you think his food is indeed good enough "to make you slap yo mama".

• soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
    i still have to make that trek to lockhart for smitty's and black's.

IT'S GOING DINE THIS AFTERNOON...

WHUT U KNOW BOUT DAT FAT PAT...