Buddah Records Appreciation Thread

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Spiderman.Jimmie Walker.Cecil Holmes Soulful Strings.Bubblegum music.The 1969 Mets.The Isley Brothers.The Lovin' Spoonful.Curtom Records."Brother Louie."Hot Wax Records."Uneasy Rider."Ze Records.DICK CLARK - 20 YEARS OF ROCK & ROLL.The Five Stairsteps.Captain Beefheart.The Flamin' Groovies.The insane way they misspelled the word "buddha."GENIUS, RECOGNIZED!!!

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Sussex???

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Sussex???

Yep, them too!!!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Midnight Movers

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

Hot Wax Records.

"Driveway" is my jam right now.

- J

• These are some of my favorites...

-Recorded at Stax? Royal?

I found this when I looked for S.O.K....

This must have been them in the early 90's...

Anybody else got the S.O.K. single on "Super K" called "My Fire Department Needs A Fireman" and "Taurus"? "Taurus" was not on the album...it is the most rediculous fuzz instro I own!

An extremely underrated album. Not exactly garage, but if you like late sixties hard rock in the Blue Cheer/Mint Tattoo vein, this one's right in that style.

This must have been them in the early 90's...

From reports I heard, lead singer Jim Sohns (the only original Shadow left) is so out of it, that photo could be them in the early 2000's!

And Shingaling, if you are still reading this[/b]...what's the deal with Barry Goldberg? A friend of mine recommended him to me, and I've long been curious due to the Michael Bloomfield association...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

An extremely underrated album. Not exactly garage, but if you like late sixties hard rock in the Blue Cheer/Mint Tattoo vein, this one's right in that style.

Funny, as soon as I saw that photo I was gonna reply, but to say that I get bummed out by this record. I wanna like it, I was psyched when I dug it up for cheap - which usually makes you even more receptive to a record - but it just doesn't hit me...major issues with the mix, the guitars are buried, which would be cool if it was "supposed" to be that way, but the arrangements seem meant for some blazing guitar that never comes...the version of "Shake" is nowhere near as hot as the 45 version...I mean, I like it okey, it's just not what I was expecting..maybe a 12th listen will reveal something new...here's a cheap Sundazed LP that I recommend highly (nohijack), which is more of what I was looking for from this S of K record:

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

cool stuff

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Buddah ROCKS!

Just got a sweet Buddah LP today:

Every song written and produced by Curtis Mayfield circa 1974, with him playing on most tracks...they do versions of Curtis classics like "Hold On" and "Makings of You," too...always $5 or less and worth every penny.

• This must have been them in the early 90's...

that photo could be them in the early 2000's!

That is scary as hell!

And Shingaling, if you are still reading this[/b]...what's the deal with Barry Goldberg? A friend of mine recommended him to me, and I've long been curious due to the Michael Bloomfield association...

Not the best but it's pretty decent. A few tracks I dig. There's a break on there for the ones who care. It's definitly his best IMO.

• Anybody else got the S.O.K. single on "Super K" called "My Fire Department Needs A Fireman" and "Taurus"? "Taurus" was not on the album...it is the most rediculous fuzz instro I own!

Find this shit! You all need this!

Equal props to the Thomas label, which Buddah distributed (and Curtis Mayfield co-owned): Bobby Franklin's Insanity, Jodi Gales, the Triplett Twins, Jesse Anderson. From 1967-74, Buddah had one of the hipper stables in black music and don't get enough love in that department.

Also: Christ Child, whose one album was supposed to be Buddah's contribution to punk (ca. 1977). True, it's a shady-looking album...hype-filled liner notes and uncredited band members (on the cover, three of them are facing away from the camera!)...but the music stands up to whatever Sire Records was releasing that same year.

Are there any LP's on Thomas? I have the Tripletts on 45, and the Jesse Anderson "Mighty Mighty," which is blazing!

Are there any LP's on Thomas? I have the Tripletts on 45, and the Jesse Anderson "Mighty Mighty," which is blazing!

To my knowledge, no...I just picked up another Jesse Anderson single on Thomas a while back, titled "Readings In Astrology"...there was a third Curtis-involved label that Buddah handled (besides Curtom and Thomas)...Mayfield Records, complete with the symbols of the crab and the two people walking arm in arm on the label, just like the Curtom/Thomas label designs...

To my knowledge, no...I just picked up another Jesse Anderson single on Thomas a while back, titled "Readings In Astrology"...there was a third Curtis-involved label that Buddah handled (besides Curtom and Thomas)...Mayfield Records, complete with the symbols of the crab and the two people walking arm in arm on the label, just like the Curtom/Thomas label designs...

Interesting...I have earlier(?) Mayfield Label stuff, the excellent Fascinations 45's are on it, but not with that logo, I don't think...I think I have Curtis doing "Readings In Astrology" on the Superfly Expanded CD set...either there or does he do it on Curtis Live? I just have a recollection of him saying, "Readings in astrology..." and doing a little zodiac rap...a Thomas/Mayfield anthology comp would be a nice thing...

Interesting...I have earlier(?) Mayfield Label stuff, the excellent Fascinations 45's are on it, but not with that logo, I don't think

Curtom, Thomas and Mayfield all had releases before moving on to Buddah. The most common Thomas I see is Cash McCall's "When You Wake Up" (pre-Buddah).

...I think I have Curtis doing "Readings In Astrology" on the Superfly Expanded CD set...either there or does he do it on Curtis Live? I just have a recollection of him saying, "Readings in astrology..."

Never heard it by him, but I do recall him singing, on his first solo album, that he had "no concern or interest in astrology" (on "Give It Up")...then two albums later, the gatefold of the ROOTS album had all these zodiac signs along the edges, so go figure...

a Thomas/Mayfield anthology comp would be a nice thing...

for real

• Yeah, I've always had a soft spot for Buddah Records. Their logos were great, especially the fat smiling Buddha... And that motto on the sleeves... "More Pleasure From the Buddah Group". God that's great.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

cosign, thats a good rackord....

• This is the shit, right here...

Almost forgot - Cobblestone was distributed by Buddah, for all the CTI jazz/funk heads reading this...

Mainly jazz, although they did put out the stray rock/soul single like Crystal Chandelier (great psychedelia) and Ma & Pa Stairstep (doing a couple of sappy ballads that wound up on the Five Stairsteps' OUR FAMILY PORTRAIT elpee).

• Almost forgot - Cobblestone was distributed by Buddah, for all the CTI jazz/funk heads reading this...

Mainly jazz, although they did put out the stray rock/soul single like Crystal Chandelier (great psychedelia) and Ma & Pa Stairstep (doing a couple of sappy ballads that wound up on the Five Stairsteps' OUR FAMILY PORTRAIT elpee).

Coupla other good ones on Cobblestone, Philly Four 'The Elephant', Billy Davis 'Stanky Get Funky'...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Almost forgot - Cobblestone was distributed by Buddah, for all the CTI jazz/funk heads reading this...

Coupla other good ones on Cobblestone, Philly Four 'The Elephant', Billy Davis 'Stanky Get Funky'...

My fave Cobblestone joints are Pat Martino LPs

• redgregredgreg 96 Posts

Fifth Avenue - Love Has Found My Heart

5 Stairsteps - Ooh Child

Reality - I Wanna Be Where You Are

+ Bobby Wilson - Deeper And Deeper

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Don't forget...

Buddah also distributed the Music Merchant label, home of the Smith Connection, the geniuses behind soul classics like "I Can't Hold On Much Longer" and "I'm Bugging Your Phone - Part 2."