Absinthe

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Who fucks with this? I want to try it

Comments

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    just don't drink that much your first time. keep it to a small amount.

I recall when I was in the czech republic in '99. I made friends with some local hiphop kids and used that as an excuse to break free from my fam for a spell. I linked up with these dudes and quickly realized that they were into some shit i have no interest in (they were talking about scoring some heroin). They werent pushy about it though. they respected I wanted to stay clear of that. Anyways, when I asked about absinthe they got super concerned and took time to make sure I understood that that shit was no joke. Considering what they were about to dabble in I made sure to follow their advise.

I remember them saying they considered it a very hard narcotic. I think the guys in the group that did it said they limit themselves to doing it 2 times a year and keep it to a shot, no more.

just relaying what I was told. I understand that absinthe is now all the rage now that its available for purchase over the internet. lots of people are drinking it so I doubt its as dire a situation as I was led to believe.

I have a bottle I bought in prague that I have never tried.

• autoauto 198 Posts
    its just alchohol. i dont even think it makes you hallucinate. i think thats all a myth. it usually tastes like shit. ive taken multiple shots of it in one setting and wanted to puke on like the 4th shot. it gets you drunk though and you have fun.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    new studies say it's all about the alcohol in it, nothing else...whatever i like it, just not that easy to get here

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I thought real absinthe, and there is a lot of stuff claiming to be absinthe that looks like it (green) but apparently isn't, contained worm-wood. Isn't worm-wood similar to phermeldahide (sic) in ways?

I dont feel like researching this right now.

day, id say go at it then. if these dudes have had enough to get drunk with no ill effects then by all means.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    Most of the stuff you get outside of Czech, France etc doesn't have the wormwood in it, essentially making it just a really strong spirit.

There are two different types, Absinth and Absinthe (with an e). Absinth (no e) is Czech style 'Bohemian' style one which has the wormwood in it.

Either way it can be a lot of fun, but obviously you have to be a little careful. But no more careful that you would be drinking anything else that contained 70+% alcohol. Nothing too crazy is going to happen, it is just a different kind of drunk (well in my experience anway), which is hard to explain, but you'll get what I mean.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    just don't drink that much your first time. keep it to a small amount.

I recall when I was in the czech republic in '99. I made friends with some local hiphop kids and used that as an excuse to break free from my fam for a spell. I linked up with these dudes and quickly realized that they were into some shit i have no interest in (they were talking about scoring some heroin). They werent pushy about it though. they respected I wanted to stay clear of that. Anyways, when I asked about absinthe they got super concerned and took time to make sure I understood that that shit was no joke. Considering what they were about to dabble in I made sure to follow their advise.

I remember them saying they considered it a very hard narcotic. I think the guys in the group that did it said they limit themselves to doing it 2 times a year and keep it to a shot, no more.

just relaying what I was told. I understand that absinthe is now all the rage now that its available for purchase over the internet. lots of people are drinking it so I doubt its as dire a situation as I was led to believe.

I have a bottle I bought in prague that I have never tried.

Are you serious? Absinthe is hardly a heavy narcotic. It's high grain alcohol and very little more. Either they were pulling your leg, or they were complete pinheads.

• I thought real absinthe, and there is a lot of stuff claiming to be absinthe that looks like it (green) but apparently isn't, contained worm-wood..

It all contains wormwood. Supposedly the psychoactive ingredient is in the thujones in the wormwood oil. Most of the stuff commercially available ( and now legal in the US) has a relatively low % of thujones and is nothing much more than a novelty liqueur. But there's still stuff out there that has quite a lot and will have you seeing the fabled "green fairy".

Part of the reason people were getting so wacked on absinthe in the 19 century is because a lot of the cheap shitty brands contained copper-sulfide. Straight poison. That, combined with French wineries spreading anti-absinthe propaganda (it had replaced wine as France's libation of choice) was the reason it got such a bad rep.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I think your mileage might vary with this drug, depending on how you're wired up. It didn't do much for me, but I know people who swear they're trippin' balls on the stuff (the exact same batches I tried).

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    every time i've had a little too much absinthe i always manage to break my glasses... always happens

i still have some left over from last year, its similar to this one. but 85% so it pretty much blows ur balls clean off.

http://www.drinkfinder.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=3396

i used to like the aniseed like taste but i've certainly over done it and now when i even sniff the stuff i gag.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I believe you want a absinthe with a lower alcohol content (low end ones are 65-70%) because, the effects of the alcohol will come on quicker than the wormwood if you are drinking the super high alcohol content stuff. I believe the only absinthe with actual wormwood is bootleg stuff, and stuff from Switzerland and Spain...dont bother with American stuff, no wormwood.

• meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
    I've had it a couple of times...it's pretty good with a little sugar and water.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Don't mix it with other drinks thats for sure

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Like cats were saying it is about the thujone content, that is why it is banned in the US. But thujone is a very common food additive in the US, you can find it in gum and all sorts of shit, in high levels it is toxic, and wormwood won't really make you trip, i drank wormwood tea in guatamala to cure a stomach parasite. It is intense and all but, i wasn't seeing trails or anything.

That being said, i gots absinthe sitting in my liquor cabinet right now and i love that shit. It is all about preperation. So you need a spoon (preferably slotted) a sugar cube or two, a lighter and some ice water.

1) Pour the absinth over the sugar cube sitting on the spoon (how mouch ever absinth you want, but don't ruin the anise flavor for yourself by overdoing each drink)

2) Light the sugar cube on fire and wait until it melts a little.

3) Pour in ice water to the top of the glass, it will cloud and give off a green color (green fairy or whatever they call it)

All in all Absinth is a regional variation of Pastis which is another anise flavored liquor drank in many parts of the world.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    I think your mileage might vary with this drug, depending on how you're wired up. It didn't do much for me, but I know people who swear they're trippin' balls on the stuff (the exact same batches I tried).

this has been my experience too. its not that bad tasting either. i dont get the sugar cube thing. we didnt have any and just drank it straight. i just got real drunk.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    i dont get the sugar cube thing.

Some versions of this shit are REAL bitter.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    If you find yourself in the Czech Republic, find some locals to show you the real deal shit. Tasted like burning gasoline and I turned numb, not to mention it made my vision all wavy.

The most fucked up part was I was with some folks in some underground bar really late at night. I looked over at the bar and there was a guy passed out on his stool and I swear to god there was a huge ass rat sitting on his back. Being fucked up out of my gourd, I just couldn't believe it. I grabbed the one girl I was with that was sober, gave her my camera and made her go take a picture because I didn't believe it was real.

This is the photo she took.

FUBAR

The green fairy is real.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I had some at a after party when I was already 'faced and then proceded to fall down the same staircase twice in the night....and i'm usually a sure-footed man, no matter how drunk.

Intense.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    there's a spot in rootlessbitchmo's soft hands neighborhood that specializes in absinthe. had a glass on nye and it tasted like licorice to me. i stopped at one glass due to the taste and felt nothing magical.

please to post your results, day. preferably while drunk.

• The green fairy is real.

Last time I was doing it (the real stuff) I burned my hand pretty bad. If youre used to high proof shit- you can deal.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    Apparently, they just legalized absinthe in the states (at least a certain kind). A bar in my town specializes in making it, and I had some stuff the other day. No tripping, but I really didn't have that much. The stuff is expensive though, about 75$ for a fifth.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    oh, the stuff is really high proof (120-130), so you're supposed to dilute it with water. you get more out of that 75$ bottle than you think, i guess.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    they didnt legalize absinthe, real absinthe at least..if they did then the real deal would be being imported like crazy...the stuff made in the US is just high-proof licorce liquor...lame.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts

Is that Vinarna U Sudu? The underground joint where it is just a small wine bar in the front and you go through that little door at the back and down underground with all the different rooms and levels. Next door to a hostel?

I'm pretty sure that I was sitting in the exact seat that photo is taken from when a painting fell off the wall behind me and smashed over my head. The absinth flowed free of charge after that incident.

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    Once was able to cop a bottle of Vintage portugese Absinthe, that was awesome... non of the actual Absinthe can compare. Maybe the swiss green fiary could.
    took a glass just before going out, it hit me when I hit the club, and it felt like speed or something like that. maybe better. Green fairy been good to me, as long as i didn??t take another shot.
    Never combine with drugs. friend of mine smoked a spliff with a shot of A, and disappeared for 48 hours.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    they didnt legalize absinthe, real absinthe at least..if they did then the real deal would be being imported like crazy...the stuff made in the US is just high-proof licorce liquor...lame.

Not True.

I have been looking into this as we started carrying Le Tourment at the bar I work at and have been asked a number of questions by customers. I did find a number of articles related to the recent lift of the ban in the U.S. as well as France and Switzerland. As it happens, Le Tourment is rated the lowest and most artificial of current options on the US market ( it is imported from France ) BUT there are a handful of other imports that come closer and makers located in the U.S. ( one is in the Bay Area) that are keeping it true to form.
    The stipulation is that there must be extremely low levels of thujone in order for it to be legal, next to nil.

Anyways, It IS legal again in the US and other European Countries where it was also previously banned. I'm sure we will see an increase in options both US made and imported over the next few years as it re-gains popularity.

Basically, in order for it to be Real it has to contain Wormwood, but it has been found that OG variations contained very low levels of thujone anyways which was the source of the toxic history itself, hence the need to regulate the amount that can be found in a bottle.

Here are some of the articles that I have found:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/342269_staydrink06.html?source=rss

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/05/MN8STOAVS.DTL&feed=rss.news

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/12/arts/12conn.html?_r=2&ref=dining&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

Is that Vinarna U Sudu? The underground joint where it is just a small wine bar in the front and you go through that little door at the back and down underground with all the different rooms and levels. Next door to a hostel?

I'm pretty sure that I was sitting in the exact seat that photo is taken from when a painting fell off the wall behind me and smashed over my head. The absinth flowed free of charge after that incident.

I couldn't tell you the name of the place if my life depended on it. The place isn't in the city centre, I remember that much. I don't know if there's a hostel near by or not. Don't remember lots more of underground rooms but then again I was is no shape for remembering.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    I know Lautrec was big into his absinthe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_de_Toulouse-Lautrec

"The invention of the Tremblement de Terre is attributed to Toulouse-Lautrec, a potent mixture containing half absinthe and half cognac."

Tremblement de Terre = Earthquake?

I've decided not to look up Hypertrophied genitalia at work...

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    and dont forget your lighter too,that ish is flamable

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    A Danish rapper had a hit dedicated to Absinthe