Designers, check your logos from all angles.

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
OGC unveils new logoThe logo, for the Office of Government Commerce, was intended to signify a bold commitment to the body???s aim of ???improving value for money by driving up standards and capability in procurement???.Instead, it has generated howls of mirth and what is likely to be a barrage of teasing emails from mandarins in other departments.According to insiders, the graphic was already proudly etched on mousemats and pens before it was unveiled for employees, who spotted the clanger within seconds.Staff have apparently now stripped their office of souvenirs bearing the logo, which could appear on eBay within days.A spokesman for OGC said: ???It is true that it caused a few titters among some staff when viewed on its side, but on consideration we concluded that the effect was generic to the particular combination of the letters OGC - and it is not inappropriate to an organisation that???s looking to have a firm grip on Government spend.???The OGC was created in the early days of the Blair Government when the premier brought in Peter Gershon from GEC Marconi to improve spending efficiency.His Gershon Report recommended the creation of the OGC and he became its chief executive for its first four years.OGC now has a staff of 564 with a head office in Norwich and other branches in London, Leeds and Edinburgh. Brand expert Michael Hamilton said while the logo???s double-entendre was probably not deliberate, it could prove an added bonus for OGC.???They???re going to get more column inches than they could ever have expected before. If I were them, I would be pretty pleased.???-Telegraph, UK

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    hahahahaha, that's great

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    hahahahaha, that's great

And you know the author of that article was having a blast, talmbout "a firm grip on government spending" and "column inches".

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I didn't think the 'clanger' was all that obvious... I took me a while to see what was going on..

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I still have no idea what i'm supposed to be seeing

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

A stick figure holding it's meat.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

You need to get your mind in the gutter where it belongs.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

???They???re going to get more column inches than they could ever have expected before. If I were them, I would be pretty pleased.???

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

You need to get your mind in the gutter where it belongs.

ha ha, but damn thats a stretch. I guess some people just see what they want to see

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Haha. i thought of that too!

And I instantly saw the stick dude holding his johnson. my mind would be firmly (pun intended) in the gutter, then.

but damn thats a stretch.

yeah I mean I see it, but stripping it from every piece of your merchandise and equipment? sounds like a tremendous waste of time and money. it's not that serious. the story itself may be a publicity stunt.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Haha. i thought of that too!

And I instantly saw the stick dude holding his johnson. my mind would be firmly (pun intended) in the gutter, then.

Get your mind up out of the gutter so mine can float past.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

oh man how did this make it to production?

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    a lot of people are saying the London Olympics logo looks like someone giving a BJ

a lot of people are saying the London Olympics logo looks like someone giving a BJ

well it definitely sucks. worst logo ever.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

I believe it was stated that it looks like Lisa Simpson, um, "playing the saxophone."

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Here's a good one that was posted in the equivalent Waxidermy thread

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

I believe it was stated that it looks like Lisa Simpson, um, "playing the saxophone."

Does anyone still have that animated GIF? It's pretty funny.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

regardless of what this does or doesnt look like, this is Frickin' AWUFL!!! not even readable. if you showed me that "mouse" and asked me what letter it looked like, i wouldnt even know what to say. i dont think U would be my first choice.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Most of these are coincidences or just a result of shitty designers / warped public minds. The London 2012 logo is awesome. At least it has a little flavor when compared to the american cheese and whitebread logos of past olympic games.

There's only two examples I can think of when designers purposefully did things like this, the disney animators and an old coke ad that had some felating going on in an ice cube:

Although there was once where a dude I knew typeset a poster for the Humane Society in Gill Sans. 10 points for anyone who can tell me why that's funny (beastiality related)

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Most obvious.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    The London 2012 logo is awesome. At least it has a little flavor when compared to the american cheese and whitebread logos of past olympic games.

I don't see why everyone hates it so much. Sure its garish, but its the fu[/b]cking olypics. It's like critisizing a drag queen for wearing pink glitter heels.

I like that its head turning and so far outside of what you'd expect.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    sorry, that London Olympics logo sucks beyond words...whats the point? Awful looking thing..its like a logo for a ladies fashion store from the 80s in the sunday paper coupon circular. Craptastic font/typeface...Hunka shit.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    The London 2012 logo is awesome. At least it has a little flavor when compared to the american cheese and whitebread logos of past olympic games.

I don't see why everyone hates it so much. Sure its garish, but its the fu[/b]cking olypics. It's like critisizing a drag queen for wearing pink glitter heels.

I like that its head turning and so far outside of what you'd expect.

I don't mind the retro idea, but it was poorly executed, should've had theecasualmale run up on that.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    So these are better then:

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

unfuckwittable

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I didn't think the 'clanger' was all that obvious... I took me a while to see what was going on..