marvin gaye doc on pbs tonight

2»

Comments

• Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
    Docu was dope....

I wish I was up on Marvin more then I was. There was a couple of jams I was wishing I knew the titles too. Great flick though, told a good story about Marvin and his music.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I thought it was well done for what you could fit in an hour. Definitely one of the better documentaries I've seen on him. Still the GOAT for me.
    It's funny they addressed how he was cool but also kind of goofy. It always seemed like he was a little uncomfortable in his own skin. There was a lot of footage and photos I had never seen before. They did a pretty concise/to the point job of summing up his career, but like Batmon said, I need a whole doc. that focuses JUST on the music!
    There's something about David Ritz I don't like. I don't know what it is, but he always seemed disingenuous or something. It doesn't help that he looks like a creepy pedo type dude either.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    btw - despite my dislike of David Ritz, I highly recommend reading Divided Soul if you want a more detailed story of Marvin's life and career.

Has anyone read Michael Eric Dyson's book?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It's funny they addressed how he was cool but also kind of goofy. It always seemed like he was a little uncomfortable in his own skin

I thought most Marvin bios addressed this fac. It's fairly well-known by now that he wasn't quite the confident love man he appeared to be.

I remember seeing him on the Ebony/Jet Celebrity Showcase (a kind of black Entertainment Tonight-type show that was syndicated in the '80s) back during his "Sexual Healing" comeback...he was chewing gum constantly and saying spacy stuff and in general seemed higher than a kite...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There's something about David Ritz I don't like. I don't know what it is, but he always seemed disingenuous or something. It doesn't help that he looks like a creepy pedo type dude either.

I hear you. He tends to throw his own little extra dramatic flourishes when describing Gaye's problems. In Divided Soul, he'll tell a story or chronicle an account and then break into a wholepage of psychoanalitcal decoration.
    Dude's fight to get Co-writing credit seems a little extra to me..."I helped Martin..see,look what we did.."

I give him props for championing Here My Dear.

I hear you. He tends to throw his own little extra dramatic flourishes when describing Gaye's problems. In Divided Soul, he'll tell a story or chronicle an account and then break into a wholepage of psychoanalitcal decoration.
    Dude's fight to get Co-writing credit seems a little extra to me..."I helped Martin..see,look what we did.."

...and In Our Lifetime...although I understand that the LP was a work in progress that Motown chose to release unfinished, going by Ritz' description of it, it sounded so off that I had to get it after reading Divided Soul

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    It's funny they addressed how he was cool but also kind of goofy. It always seemed like he was a little uncomfortable in his own skin

I thought most Marvin bios addressed this fac. It's fairly well-known by now that he wasn't quite the confident love man he appeared to be.

Yeah, most things I've read touch on him not being very confident and having performance anxiety etc., but that clip of him dancing the Hitchhike really brought it home.

There's something about David Ritz I don't like.

Exactly. He interjects too much of himself into these interviews.

...and In Our Lifetime...although I understand that the LP was a work in progress that Motown chose to release unfinished, going by Ritz' description of it, it sounded so off that I had to get it after reading Divided Soul

True. That book made me up my Marvin stash, big time.

Fortunatley my homie had In My Lifetime, just cause he was lookin for beats so i had heard it. The Deluxe is also heat.

What id relly want is the OG Savage In The Shack from Draem Of a Lifetime.
    Years ago a freind of a friend had the untouched version he copped from his MOM!

Dem Ni**as....instead of "Its gettin Bigger" which is kinda nasty too.

Yeah, most things I've read touch on him not being very confident and having performance anxiety etc., but that clip of him dancing the Hitchhike really brought it home.

There's something about David Ritz I don't like.

Exactly. He interjects too much of himself into these interviews.

I got the feeling he had a big hand in this doc. Like Wynton Marsalis did w/ the Jazz series. All that dichotomy shit is str8 Ritz lingo.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Anyone hear that E Double flip of "turn on some music" a few years ago titled "music"? I used to dig that single.
    You mean this?

It's a classic.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Anyone catch the Aretha doc. after Marvin? It's good.

Anyone catch the Aretha doc. after Marvin? It's good.

it didnt air on the local PBS here, but I think ive seen it before, if its the same one im thinking of...came out around '91-'92, which means it ends somewhere around the "freeway of love" era?? i just saw that back in january or february

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Anyone hear that E Double flip of "turn on some music" a few years ago titled "music"? I used to dig that single.
    You mean this?

It's a classic.

• KNOWKNAIMEKNOWKNAIME 51 Posts
    I'm in Canada and it's 4 something in the a.m. and there is Marvin Gaye "live in montreaux '80", on Detroit PBS. It's the part where he asks for a young female volunteer to dance with him onstage and instead of one he gets two. He makes some comment asking the audience if they were ever in this kind of position saying it's awkward and all that. You know he's been there done that, bought the t-shirt. The best part was when he asked the name of one of the women, he turns to this white woman trying to look like Bo Derek from the movie "10" and she says "I'm Claudia" in this very heavy germanic or slavic accent. It seemed like me, Marvin, and the rest of the audience all laughed at the same time. This is why I love publicly funded television.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

I got the feeling he had a big hand in this doc. Like Wynton Marsalis did w/ the Jazz series. All that dichotomy shit is str8 Ritz lingo.

he didn't. ritz was just one of the many folks interviewed.
    there are more interviews up on channel 13's website.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I can't find info if this is playing again soon. Anyone else have knowledge of it running again?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I can't find info if this is playing again soon. Anyone else have knowledge of it running again?

Feature essay on Marvin Gaye.

Additional footage from the doc.

Interactive career timeline.

Interview with the filmmaker.

To find additional air dates in your city, click the link in the top right corner of the Feature Essay page.

Similar sites from the same series on James Brown, Quincy Jones, Bob Marley, Lou Reed, Aretha Franklin, and Ray Charles.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The whole final tour strip down to my bikini underwear thing is insane. Total coke head freak out time maneuver. Was that Pre or Post-Prince underwear-on-stage era?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

To find additional air dates in your city, click the link in the top right corner of the Feature Essay page.

Similar sites from the same series on James Brown, Quincy Jones, Bob Marley, Lou Reed, Aretha Franklin, and Ray Charles.

Gracias.

The whole final tour strip down to my bikini underwear thing is insane. Total coke head freak out time maneuver. Was that Pre or Post-Prince underwear-on-stage era?

Its the last tour. so it was after Sexual Healing which is '82.

Dirty Mind is '80

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    THe other great scene for me was the I want You sessions playback with Leon Ware. I could listen to those vocs for hours.

THe other great scene for me was the I want You sessions playback with Leon Ware. I could listen to those vocs for hours.

No doubt. The I Want You Deluxe has an acapella track....str8 lava!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Fuck - only comes on UNC HD here. Yet another reason I ought to get digital cable.

One of the two images on our 30'x40' digital mural today:

The other:

I just figured out W.G.reat B.lue H.ills.

I first posted from work to answer a request about a show we produced, and it was the first thing to come to mind. Trivia question: Do you know what the "W" stands for?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I first posted from work to answer a request about a show we produced, and it was the first thing to come to mind. Trivia question: Do you know what the "W" stands for?

The "W" stands for the fact that the transmitter is East of the Mississippi River. "K" is the prefix for all stations West of the river. This is a general rule-of-thumb.

The US has been assigned "W" and "K" as part of the International Callsign Allocation process.
    link

True, but from what I understand we have the K and W because they were in use in the US before the international system was adopted. The "W" was originally taken from Westinghouse.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    its re running at 10 pm, but i'm gonna go see the budos band. i might have to break out the vhs.