marvin gaye doc on pbs tonight

LuminLumin 807 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
comes on at 9 pm EST. looks pretty interesting. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/database/gaye_m.html

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up, I will be checking for this.

• 10:30pm here in San Diego.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Indeed. 9pm tonight in Boston on WGBH 2, repeating at 10pm on Friday night on WGBH 44. Check your local listings.

I know Michael will be watching.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Damn, I guess NC just ain't that hip. Looks like we get hours-worth of GHW Bush doccos instead...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up, I will be checking for this.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Damn, I guess NC just ain't that hip. Looks like we get hours-worth of GHW Bush doccos instead...

I saw that GWHB documentary.
    Oddly riveting for such a boring dude.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    "any music you would put in front of him, he would Marvinize it"
    Smokey Robinson

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    at this point these muthafuckas better talk about Here My Dear.

None of that I Want U and skippin to Sexual Healing shit.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Janis is one of the most beautiful woman ive ever seen.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    you must be in a different time zone than me, 'cause im only eight minutes into it and he aint even cut his first record yet

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

they talk about it

aretha franklin on now right after marv

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Hopefully this goes online sometime. I don't roll with TV, although I love it.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/database/gaye_m.html

goddam, that was one incredible version of "yesterday" that they played towards the end

off to the used rekkid sto' to find THAT one

goddam, that was one incredible version of "yesterday" that they played towards the end

I dont know where it comes from but i have it on my MASTER Box.
    INcredible.

I THINK it might be on the That's The Way Love Is LP (his last before growing a beard and singing more "meaningful" songs), but I'm not totally sure.

That twangy guitar and the way that Marvin chose to phrase the song slightly differently from everyone else who ever sang it...not a bad combination.

The Doc was done well.

Id like to see another doc that disects the music/art.

Im glad that somebody stated that Marvin wanted to go.

I THINK it might be on the That's The Way Love Is LP (his last before growing a beard and singing more "meaningful" songs), but I'm not totally sure.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

It is, to my knowledge.

The Doc was done well.

Well then, check out the new Curtis Mayfield documentary that should be out right now on DVD. I even have a slight preference for this one over the Marvin because:

(a) Curtis' career hasn't been covered in depth as much as Marvin's has

(b) When they show the film clips, they let the songs play all the way through rather than show a few seconds of

And of course, there's the Stax Records and Otis Redding docs from last year...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The Doc was done well.

Im glad that somebody stated that Marvin wanted to go.

There were a few too many easy metaphors at the end for my taste (the canon has solidified, ostensibly), but it was about as good of an hour-long encapsulization as possible. But really - no mention of his Star-Spangled Banner?

When people talk of Marvin's last couple of years on earth, there are two things - and no more - that are considered aesthetic highpoints, "Sexual Healing" and "The Star-Spangled Banner."

I was looking at another e-group where everybody basically implied that "Sexual Healing" basically SAVED Midnight Love and the rest of that elpee was undistinguished. What's the Soul Strut verdict?

• Well then, check out the new Curtis Mayfield documentary that should be out right now on DVD. I even have a slight preference for this one over the Marvin because:

(a) Curtis' career hasn't been covered in depth as much as Marvin's has

(b) When they show the film clips, they let the songs play all the way through rather than show a few seconds of

Picked this up yesterday at the local Best Buy. Haven't watched it in depth yet, but from what I saw, I liked.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    When people talk of Marvin's last couple of years on earth, there are two things - and no more - that are considered aesthetic highpoints, "Sexual Healing" and "The Star-Spangled Banner."

I was looking at another e-group where everybody basically implied that "Sexual Healing" basically SAVED Midnight Love and the rest of that elpee was undistinguished. What's the Soul Strut verdict?

Never liked "Healing," so I'm the wrong guy to ask.

When it dropped I dont recall poeple playin ANY of the album cuts.

I was basically bad synth R&B. But as time passed Ive grown to appreiciate the minimal strip down sound.

'Til Tommorrow is a Killer
    Turn On Some Music is cool

Overall I hardly play it str8 thru. The Deluxe version really enhances the EXP.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

I was basically bad synth R&B. But as time passed Ive grown to appreiciate the minimal strip down sound.

yeah that shit was a little too 808'd out, but sexual healing and turn on some music still get play at the crib.
    Anyone hear that E Double flip of "turn on some music" a few years ago titled "music"? I used to dig that single.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I was thinkin' the same thing.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

The last track on the album ("My Love Is Waiting") is my favorite track off the album and stood out as one of the highlights for me when I first heard the LP back in 82. Real nice mid-tempo groove with killer vocals, as always. I'm surprised more people aren't into that song.

For reals, you'll get more people big-upping In Our Lifetime than Midnight Love.

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    here's a streaming version of marvin's "yesterday" for those who need a quick fix

http://hypem.com/track/496528