dork-hop 2008 - 1st quarter check in

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
looking for the cream of the dork-hop 2008 crop. whats good yall?my fav so far is LMNO & Kev Brown - Selective Hearing (I especially like that they included the instrumentals)also checked Braille - The IV Edition (a little disappointed here in my hommie...only feelin' 2 tracks)currently checking:Ayatollah - Louder (I like his flip of the Charlie Brown song, but most of his beats get really repetitive)Lyrics Born - Everywhere At Once (wasn't feeling the first listen)The Grouch - Show You The World (so far so good)on deck:Ill Insanity - Ground XeroAtmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Goldanybody checked the new J-Live? is Time Machine's new album out?

Comments

• HamHam 872 Posts
    johnson&jonson, pretty good on first listen...i liked the selective hearing instrumentals, foreign beggars, at least some of the beats

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Post Hip Hop

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    looking for the cream of the dork-hop 2008 crop. whats good yall?

my fav so far is LMNO & Kev Brown - Selective Hearing (I especially like that they included the instrumentals)

also checked Braille - The IV Edition (a little disappointed here in my hommie...only feelin' 2 tracks)

currently checking:
    Ayatollah - Louder (I like his flip of the Charlie Brown song, but most of his beats get really repetitive)
    Lyrics Born - Everywhere At Once (wasn't feeling the first listen)
    The Grouch - Show You The World (so far so good)

on deck:
    Ill Insanity - Ground Xero
    Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold

anybody checked the new J-Live? is Time Machine's new album out?

Atmosphere made it to Position 5 on the Billboard Charts...crazy album. Grouch is dope, I really like "Artsy" and the video is made well too...have to check for that lmno...

• i'm a fan of girls that listen to this kind of music.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

One of the better ipod commercials I've seen!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Garbation!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

Garbation!

So, ahhh, what are your dork-hop recommendations?

i kinda like this. is that a eddie holland sample? what is that i feel like i heard it before.

I'm still not sure what to make of this one...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    i'm a fan of hipster girls[/b] that pretend to get into[/b] this kind of music.

it sucks.

that No Show Socks joint is better and even that needs to break down or somethin... too much dude rappin' the whole time... let the music BREATHE!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    im tryin to figure out what dork hop is
    is it bad rhyming and bad beats or somethin?
    that grouch joint wasnt too bad. i could never stand that accent he has but he stays pretty slick with his lines
    im kinda confused though
    i guess then what i have comin out soon will be a dork hop album

• Every single one of these videos posted in this thread are "no longer available"..I wanted to see/hear what the hype was about.

im tryin to figure out what dork hop is
    is it bad rhyming and bad beats or somethin?
    that grouch joint wasnt too bad. i could never stand that accent he has but he stays pretty slick with his lines
    im kinda confused though
    i guess then what i have comin out soon will be a dork hop album
    its what The Harvey Canal dubbed my taste in hip-hop the last time I was trying to see what albums people were digging that didn't fall into the gangster, misogynistic, mainstream crap that most people post about on here.
    I tried calling it "soulful"

some are confusing the dork-hop with nerd rap and obviously BATMON and Harvey still have boners for my hip-hop threads/taste.

anyways, another joint I've liked so far in '08...

Jazz Liberatorz - Clin d'oeil[/b]

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    ah ok i gotcha
    so soulful hip hop somehow morphed into being classified as dork hop?
    aint that some shit
    well then you may dig what i do if you are feelin some of these cats

ah ok i gotcha
    aint that some shit

How the fuck are y'all going to try and call dork-hop soulful when there are artists like Z-Ro, Big Moe, and Pimp C that son that shit with the quickness?

Even what I would consider good dork-hop...like Strange Fruit Project and PPT outta Dallas. Even within their local scene, they are very much a less kinda soulful than someone like Money Waters.

Point being, I'm not sure that some throwing the word soulful around even know what it really means.

gangster, misogynistic, mainstream crap that most people post about on here.

So you're saying that if we analyze the lyrical content of your favorite dork hoppers we won't find anything that can be considered "gangster, misogynistic" or that panders to a more center than left audience?

GTFOHWTBS!

Point being, I'm not sure that some throwing the word soulful around even know what it really means.

(n) appropriation (a deliberate act of acquisition of something, often without the permission of the owner)

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    ah ok i gotcha
    aint that some shit

How the fuck are y'all going to try and call dork-hop soulful when there are artists like Z-Ro, Big Moe, and Pimp C that son that shit with the quickness?

Even what I would consider good dork-hop...like Strange Fruit Project and PPT outta Dallas. Even within their local scene, they are very much a less kinda soulful than someone like Money Waters.

im not sayin any of what was posted in this was "soulful". a lot of cats sample some soul singer or jazz or some shit and think that by default its got some soul to it.
    if i dont feel that shit it aint soulful to me. im not here to argue what got soul and what doesnt. if i was, i'd hope you werent callin z-ro soulful because that would make you a stupid mufucka.
    as for "sonning" dork-hop, i dont really know what that means anymore.
    its all pretty bad to me

i'd hope you werent callin z-ro soulful because that would make you a stupid mufucka.

You sound white (perhaps with trustafundian locks):ewef:

Z-ro not being soulful makes you an ass. Dude's voice emits soul to the fullest.

Seriously, get the fuck outta here with that bullshit!

i'd hope you werent callin z-ro soulful because that would make you a stupid mufucka.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

You sound white (perhaps with trustafundian locks):ewef:

Z-ro not being soulful makes you an ass. Dude's voice emits soul to the fullest.

No disrespect but is this a joke? That one dude who comes out of the house after MC Homeless looks straight out of The Goldenchild. This video and song is all types of bad.

No disrespect but is this a joke? That one dude who comes out of the house after MC Homeless looks straight out of The Goldenchild. This video and song is all types of bad.

Bad or not, I love that this video exists. First time I saw it was on the local access channel a couple of weeks ago. Lady Legacy is a friend of mine and very much out of her element as a guest on that track. The rest of them...can't vouch for them at all. But there is an on-again-off-again Strutter in that video. Maybe he'll show up and sort this all out for us.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    currently checking:
    Ayatollah - Louder (I like his flip of the Charlie Brown song, but most of his beats get really repetitive)

did you just label 'tollah as dork rap?[/b]

f*ck outta here!

Dork-hop in 2008 =

1. speaking of elements of hip-hop.

2. overt turntablism.

3. claiming soulful when your sound is sweet and low.

4. super-scientifical anything.

5. pining for old days you weren't even a part of in the first place.

6. carbon copying boom-bap circa 1994.

7. self-righteous complaint rap.

8. assuming the dynamic that people blacker than you somehow don't know hip-hop and thus it's your job to straighten them out on it.

9. not trying to garner "commercial" radio/club play.

10. wearing vintage basketball shoes when you've never been any good at playing basketball.

Plaese to add on...

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    10. wearing vintage basketball shoes when you've never been any good at playing STRIKE>basketball/STRIKE> any sport[/b].

11. skateboarding

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i didnt know there were ten commandments of dork hop

and i sound white?
    yall sound like yall mufuckas want to be down with the hood so bad its funny. like somehow someone from the hood is going to validate you or some shit if you rep it hard enough