dork-hop 2008 - 1st quarter check in

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You got to love white people accusing people that aren't white that they sound white.

Ah, I love Soulstrut.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    like somehow someone from the hood is going to validate you or some shit if you rep it hard enough

Yes, I look in the mirror, throw up my neighborhood set, and self-validate myself on a daily basis.

Isn't that hard to do, really.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

and i sound white?
    yall sound like yall mufuckas want to be down with the hood so bad its funny. like somehow someone from the hood is going to validate you or some shit if you rep it hard enough

You're White, it's ok. Don't be mad about it.

I just got one question though, now that you've actually heard Z-ro, does he have soul or not?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    currently checking:
    Ayatollah - Louder (I like his flip of the Charlie Brown song, but most of his beats get really repetitive)

did you just label 'tollah as dork rap?[/b]

f*ck outta here!
    ha. nah, you're missing the point. Harvey called what I liked dork-hop last year, so I'm just looking for more music similar to what I already like.

if you wanna argue over what soulful hip-hop is, feel free to start a new thread.

I like sample-based stuff that sounds like mid-late '90s hip-hop...
    no need for everyone to get their panties in a bunch.

just give me more recommendations... not wack youtube videos or thug albums that Harvey hypes on his other soapbox posts.

so far the Little Vic (though his previous cover art made my eyes burn), Foreign Beggars, Johnson&Jonson (I wasn't crazy bout the Blu & Exile album though) is all I've got out of this.

aren't there new Ugly Duckling, Time Machine, and PUTS albums in the works???

I see new All Natural, L.I.F.E. Long, Joey Chavez & Bravo, Roddy Rod(!) albums...
    anyone heard 'em??

oh yeah... the EMC was aight... coulda been waay better though (*coughStrickcough*)

• 10. wearing vintage basketball shoes when you've never been any good at playing STRIKE>basketball/STRIKE> any sport[/b].

11. skateboarding

what the fuck does skateboarding have to do with dork rap 2008?
    what you people who try to stereotype skateboarders dont realize is for every type of person there is, theres a skateboarder thats that type of person as well. ie. jocks, potheads, republicans, gays, gangsters, drug dealers, hiphopers, punk rockers, hippies, etc. etc. etc.

most of the younger generation listens to that emo rock shit that i know nothing about.

So are you the crotchety old man or the young kid that was never around in the 90's?

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    ha. nah, you're missing the point. Harvey called what I liked dork-hop last year, so I'm just looking for more music similar to what I already like.

oh, hahahaha i see! word. yeah 'Tollah just did some beats for my friends group not too long ago. he's a really down to earth cat.

what the fuck does skateboarding have to do with dork rap 2008?

i just threw that in the mix since it's a hip cliche now-a-days. and i'm well aware of the demographics. please to not tet my knowledge. i was knee deep in the game during the Sky Pager, Gold Fish, days. i was that white hip-hoppin booster that listened to straight edge and didn't eat meat. that's how i roll.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Dag, all kinds of ass-hurt up in here...

Aged and fermented even...

Harvey called what I liked dork-hop last year

So are you the crotchety old man or the young kid that was never around in the 90's?
    young adult that wasn't deep into '90s hip-hop at the time. At the time, I listened to Tribe, De La, Monie Love, Biggie (Life After Death), OutKast, and Snoop Doggy Dogg. But since then I've caught up on a lot of it.

I'm growing into crotchety old man.

Aged and fermented even...

Harvey called what I liked dork-hop last year

just trying to joke and use your term... if you got a better one for me to use in the future, bless us.

DINGLE-HOP

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    feelin this right here

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i refuse to believe that someone actually listened to z-ro's music and came to the conclusion that dude isn't "soulful"

i'd hope you werent callin water wet because that would make you a stupid mufucka.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Different strokes for different folks. You guys protest too Frickin' much sometimes.

Different strokes for different folks. You guys protest too Frickin' much sometimes.

GET A JOB, HIPPY!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm literally sitting on stacks on money right now.

I'm literally sitting on stacks on money right now.

HYPOCRIPPY!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Your revolution is over, Harvey. Condolences, the bums lost.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Fam, I think you some indie rock with touch of Punk in your life. Basically that's what the stuff you listen is more that hip hop. Why co-opt ghetto music anyway? It's where your from. Doesn't Ayatollah producer for Cormega (I'm a Fan)??
    I don't Mega or Ayatollah would me anything you would be interest in.

not to mention what he did for Mos on his debut album

Your revolution is over, Harvey. Condolences, the bums lost.

Possibly...

feelin this right here

I need this mp3 in my life! Microwave related. Plaese to help.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    this is a great thread. And actually I've been wondering what are some good indie rap artists right now. I can only say I've been really feeling Blu & exile and black spade. Besides that ?

Strange fruit is good as well.

• i refuse to believe that someone actually listened to z-ro's music and came to the conclusion that dude isn't "soulful"

Are you originally from Texas? I've noticed you ride hard for Texas rap(Houston esp.). Nothing wrong if you aren't, I was just curious..that's all. If not, is underground Texas rap really popular in Hawaii?

Strange fruit is good as well.

yes!

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

C.R.A.C. on Tres records (PUTS label, I think?)

That's a pretty good record actually. I've never been a big fan of Ta'Rach but he made some dope beats and catchy-ass songs. Some of it isn't hip-hop but it's not that bugged out shit either.

• dope beats

yoyoyo!

• soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
    DeepSpace5...just released a new EP called Bake Sale. Its a group made up of several artists, most with their own group/solo release as well.

Even Harvey sorta liked them!

www.deepspace5.com

myspace.com/deepspace5

• i'm a fan of girls that listen to this kind of music.

You ever stalk them on the internet?