Larry Davis in lyrics...

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
A cinema up in Harlem that I have been helping out with some stuff is putting together a night of films about Larry Davis with a debate afterwards...The cinema would like to do some mix-tape kinda thing for the event however but all they have found is a Gangstarr song where his name is mentioned. Im sure there's loads more so please Mighty Strut help me helping them.What they're looking for is songs where the name Larry Davis is mentioned or there's references to the events he was involved in. It doesnt have to hip hop but I dont think he would have been mentioned anywhere else.Thanks in advance.Peace,Dress P.S. You can read more about him here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Davis_%28criminal%29

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    B One, from Take em to War
    "cause violence is contagious, it got me bustin gauges...the '95 Larry Davis and i'm wettin niggaz for wages"

p.s.

RIP Larry Davis

easy now crazy eyes killah...that's larry david.

...and it was just a grape stem.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    THE HIP-HOP COMMUNITY EMBRACES LARRY DAVIS
    By Rahiem Shabazz

Larry Davis was one of the most herald figures in hip-hop; it started in the late 80???s with now-deceased rapper MC Hood- on the ???Scenario (Remix) with Tribe Called Quest. ???Lay down ya wages/I???m wild like Larry Davis,??? and followed year after year. Even Brooklyn native Buckshot spit Larry???s name on the now classic song, ???Why We Act This Way??? ??? Act like you don???t know/ who was there when Larry Davis blast po po??? Buckshot that rapper nigga pants low/boxer show/ not a style for ya block to know/ Gangstarr followed suit on JFK 2 LAX, where he spoke about the ill natured hatred towards the police, ???Five-0 makes me wanna flip, Larry Davis style/Got a nigga depressed, while he???s awaiting trial???/ The founder of ???The Stop the Violence Movement, KRS-1 even did a tribute song to him called ???30 Cops or More???: But when them come to arrest a black man, they need 30 cops or more.. well now When they arrest a black man, they need 30 cops or more??? well now hey.

It was widely known that G-Unit???s front man 50 Cent wanted to play Larry in his forthcoming movie. Even the Queens rapper felt the necessity to invoke Davis name in one of his raps. ???You want the trigger man, y???all was the ones that pull it /that???s why we represent them niggaz like Larry Davis before he let you cowards kill him, he just came and sprayed it /Now what you wan??? do???- Don???t Need No Help

On the groundbreaking Still Wanted Dead or Alive song Kool G. Rap pens his most sneering lyrics??? Cause I???m spit on your ass like Larry Davis ??? I made another cop spin Now Uncle Sam really wants me ??? Then I???m off with the drugs and ends ??? Jay-Z???s lyrics on Best of Both Worlds places Larry as a martyr and embraces him as a hero in the struggle as worthy of admiration as Martin and Malcolm. ???A combination of Pappy Mason and Larry Davis, Martin and Malcolm/ This is bigger than the album???
    Rappers Nas, Jay-Z, Jada Kiss, Busta rhymes, Lauren Hill, Kool G Rap, L.L. Ice-T, Chuck D and others recognized Davis in their lyrics. But, the biggest support came from Star & Buc Wild when they were at Hot 97 FM and the Kay Slay (The Drama King) as well as Kiss FM???s Kool D.J. Red Alert.

A day after Larry surrendered to the police; Ice-T got the entire crowd at Prospect Theatre (Bronx, N.Y) to chant Free Lar-ry Davis!!! Free Lar-ry Davis. He then told the crowds he had his bail money before he dropped the mic and exited the stage. The crowd went berserk.
    There is no denying the love of the hip-hop community in regards to Davis courageous act against the murderous police. We whole-heartedly believed in his innocence. He was our avenging angel for every black youth who felt the thunderous blows from a cop???s billy club, while lying unconscious in the back seat of their patrol car.

???The Streets Made Him A Man, Courage Made Him A Hero & History Made Him A Legend???
    Shams Dabaron (Right Hand Man of Larry Davis)

• Gangstarr "JFK 2 LAX"
    "5-0 makes me wanna flip Larry Davis style"

Tribe Called Quest "Scenario remix"
    "Lay down your wages, I'm wild like Larry Davis"

many more here:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q="larry+davis"+site%3Aohhla.com&btnG=Search

and don't forget The Larry Davis Experience!
    http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/The_Larry_Davis_Experience

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    MC Hood on the ATCQ Scenario remix:
    Hood, madman, I rip up stages
    Lay down your wages, I'm wild like Larry Davis

Edit: too late

• Thanks guys...

Much appreciated. Keep them coming!

Peace,

Dress

P.S. Thanks for that link!

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    I swear there was a thread about this a while ago...

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...ic=&Search=true

ohhh man, how did i forget about that Blackmoon song they quoted Buckshot on...i love that track for that "and i'm like...[sucks teeth].................word"

lol

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Master Ace on Crooklyn, no?