Macbook owners, warning...

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
My power adaptor caught on fire at the start of my gig last night and I had to call in a replacement in a cab to the gig as I only had a hour juice left.... thankfully I have applecare and didn't have to fork out for a new one (nearly $120 in the UK)This is apparently a common problem (check apple.com and look at the product reviews for the chargers), just be careful, I wouldn't advise leaving ur charger plugged in overnight....peace.

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up. Personally, my screen flickers from dark to fully bright for the first 10 minutes. This also seems to be a common problem.

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts
    have you had any problems with your battery? my girlfriends computer has this problem every 5-6 months, where her battery stops being recognized by the computer -- on the top where it shows how much time is left -- it will just show a battery with an X in it.

she takes it in, they give her a new battery FOC and don't ask questions.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    have you had any problems with your battery? my girlfriends computer has this problem every 5-6 months, where her battery stops being recognized by the computer -- on the top where it shows how much time is left -- it will just show a battery with an X in it.

Yep. Happened to my wife's black Macbook. She took it into the Apple Store and they replaced it no questions asked.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Yep. Happened to my wife's black Macbook. She took it into the Apple Store and they replaced it no questions asked.

I ended up having to mail mine off for repairs when this happened to me. But on the upside, it didn't cost me a dime.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I ended up having to mail mine off for repairs when this happened to me. But on the upside, it didn't cost me a dime.
    so apple has its consumers thinking them paying for something that shouldn't be breaking and apple themselves should be paying for is an "upside" : |

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    so apple has its consumers thinking them paying for something that shouldn't be breaking and apple themselves should be paying for is an "upside" : |

Do you think it's a bad thing that they fixed it without any hassle or charging anything?

I'm hardly in the Cult of Apple or anything like that, but given how these scenarios usually go down (i.e. a huge pain in the ass that often ends up costing something), I was fully prepared to get fucked and was pleasantly surprised that I didn't.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I was deejaying one night and seen smoke rising up from behind my laptop and low and behold my power adapter was definately on fire! Took it to apple the next day and they gave me a new cord for free. I even purchsed an extra one just to have on hand. $85. Good thing I caught it right when it started!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I was deejaying one night and seen smoke rising up from behind my laptop and low and behold my power adapter was definately on fire! Took it to apple the next day and they gave me a new cord for free. I even purchsed an extra one just to have on hand. $85. Good thing I caught it right when it started!

You sure this wasn't just from dropping mad heat during your set?

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Is this common with powerbooks as well?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up. Personally, my screen flickers from dark to fully bright for the first 10 minutes. This also seems to be a common problem.

take it into the genius bar, i have this problem right now, the part they will order is an "inverter" and that will fix the flicker...

I like apple, I've had my mouse and DVD drive replaced, free of charge....

the applecare shit is definitely on point!!!

b

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

take it into the genius bar, i have this problem right now, the part they will order is an "inverter" and that will fix the flicker...

I like apple, I've had my mouse and DVD drive replaced, free of charge....

the applecare shit is definitely on point!!!

b

Apple seems to use cheap hardware in general, but they are good at replacing it if you have applecare.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Apple seems to use cheap hardware in general, but they are good at replacing it

Apple uses cheap hardware

of course they'll replace it no problem...like you said...its CHEAP!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Apple seems to use cheap hardware in general, but they are good at replacing it if you have applecare.

Very true, although almost nobody these days uses real high quality stuff, cheaper to just replace whatever blows up.

I work for an electronics company, and I can tell you when the mere mention of a problem leads to immediate, no questions asked replacement, its because they fucked up and its a known issue.

Good to hear they're making good on applecare for everyone here, when my girl switched from pc to mac, she got hit with a $900 bill 10 days later, when they claimed the giant line that appeared across the screen was somehow her fault and not part of applecare.

• have you had any problems with your battery? my girlfriends computer has this problem every 5-6 months, where her battery stops being recognized by the computer -- on the top where it shows how much time is left -- it will just show a battery with an X in it.

I have the exact same problem with my 18 month old macbook. But be forewarned, even if you have extended apple care they will not replace your battery after the first year. Their reasoning: it's the part that breaks the most. When I told the genius that I was displeased, he suggested I sell my macbook and buy a PC.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Failure rate on macbooks is slightly lower than the norm, which are hovering around 25%. Laptops are and always have been notoriously finicky, cuz you have to cram all that hardware into such a small space.

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    damn...that's crazy...I had not heard of that...until now

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

I have the exact same problem with my 18 month old macbook. But be forewarned, even if you have extended apple care they will not replace your battery after the first year. Their reasoning: it's the part that breaks the most. When I told the genius that I was displeased, he suggested I sell my macbook and buy a PC.

After talking to Applecare rep, say you are not satisfied. Keep saying it to each person. I did that after they said they wouldn't replace my battery and they gave in, sent me a new one.