Al Tariq and No I.D. albums

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
I listened to "God Connections" and "Accept Your Own and Be Yourself" on my ipod yesterday and still enjoyed them. I think I probably dig them because of good memories associated with the times they came out.Why do I feel like Paychecks was into these, too? No I.D.'s album had lines about "completion like the number 9" (and I know he sampled Kool Ass Fash saying "Tariq" at least once). Who else will stand up for these?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I ride for the latter, not so much the former.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    God Connections is my shit!! ALWAYS been. I remember when it came out The Source gave it 2 1/2 mics, but then said they hopped nobody would sleep on that LP. WTF?! But, I pretty much quit taking that mag serious when they gave Da Shinin only 3 mics.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I ride for the latter, not so much the former.

Yeah, me, too.

I let go of my copy of God Connections about six years ago--to me, Fash was always the weakest rapper in the crew. None of them were great, but Juju and Les had more personality.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The NO I.D. album is mediocre.

I let go of my copy of God Connections about six years ago--to me, Fash was always the weakest rapper in the crew. None of them were great, but Juju and Les had more personality.

Also like the extended story involving Crocheted-pants Com that fails to actually feature him.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    'state to state' beatnuts remix is fire

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I ride very much for both.

Just kidding...no, I don't.

I ride very much for both. And Sadat X' Wild Cowboys.

Wild Cowboys is kind of a terd. I won't lie--I had it way back when, though. An era when people actually cared about such a thing seems like ancient history.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    to me, Fash was always the weakest rapper in the crew. None of them were great, but Juju and Les had more personality.

Absolutely.

I'm not wild about either album, but I do like No ID's better. "State to State" was my joint.

I remember when I moved to the Bay in 97, I was on one hand delighted to then have access to local radio shows put on by the likes of O-Dub, Beni B, and Matthew Africa...but on the other hand disgusted as fuck that their content was so entirely saturated with the last-remnants-of-boom-bap from the likes of Al Tariq and No ID.

I remember when I moved to the Bay in 97, I was on one hand delighted to then have access to local radio shows put on by the likes of O-Dub, Beni B, and Matthew Africa...but on the other hand disgusted as fuck that their content was so entirely saturated with the last-remnants-of-boom-bap from the likes of Al Tariq and No ID.

Yes!

This thread needed a few darts thrown!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Wild Cowboys is kind of a terd.

Yes. I didnt even cop when it dropped, and i finally copped it years later.
    As a whole the Lp is wack.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    "God Connections" does it for me
    Psycho Les outdid himself on the beats
    Its a really good slept on album.

Wild Cowboys is kind of a terd.

Yes. I didnt even cop when it dropped, and i finally copped it years later.
    As a whole the Lp is wack.

both of you are trippin'

Yes!

This thread needed a few darts thrown!

I'm saying. Couldn't they have thrown this into the mix just once...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dont even agree w/ harvey, im just glad hes naming names

i dont even agree w/ harvey, im just glad hes naming names

Yes, it's wonderful to see him getting over his chronic shyness...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    more people should take his lead

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    for example, i hear that daniel rillz uses bowling ball wax on his head

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    you know, i actually never heard the No ID record.

but god connects is dope! think not is hot and all the songs with the beatnuts on em are thorough.psycho les says some vintage shit
    yous about to get caught in
    hollow points soaring
    burnin holes through your ralph lauren
    you best take flight like jordan
    or get tore in
    to pieces as my fo5 releases
    BLAOW
    you know that the east is in the house
    call for back up
    present danger s--o-s
    the mad 'lombian psycho les...

or something like that. dope as fuck.havent listened to it in years, but tht shits still fresh in my mind!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i always loved the beat on "All Over the Track"

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    I listened to "God Connections" and "Accept Your Own and Be Yourself" on my ipod yesterday and still enjoyed them. I think I probably dig them because of good memories associated with the times they came out.

Why do I feel like Paychecks was into these, too? No I.D.'s album had lines about "completion like the number 9" (and I know he sampled Kool Ass Fash saying "Tariq" at least once).

Who else will stand up for these?

Thought the No ID album was dope when it came out but haven't listened to it in years. Dude was cool enough to give me and Moss a copy of the album like 6 months before it came out when we went to Chicago back then. I think the tape also had some cuts from the 3rd Common album on it.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    The No I.D. LP is still very much enjoyable, IMO. Some of the beats are real dope.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    this thread is bugged cause I just finished ripping my No I.D., Sadat X and Al Tariq 12s.

That definitely was the tepid last hurrah of boom-bap rap, but Peace Akki was dope, and Stages And Lights was also a good one, and I always will have a soft spot for The Lump Lump as that was the first 'reunion' track of Brand Nubian.

This post got me thinking, Problems should of dropped an album
    It's a shame that didn't happen.

I, myself, was delighted to discover a community of like-minded diggeurs when I stumbled across SoulStrut six years later in '03, but ultimately disgusted as f**k that they were all still all listening to the last-remnants-of-boom-bap from the likes of Al Tariq and No ID.

• yeah, keep drawing lines in the sand fellas...

but really, this schitt is tired.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    'state to state' beatnuts remix is fire
    I'll ride for the remix and original

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    The "Sky's the Limit" beat is uber dope ... But, as far as the album goes I think that's it..