Do Valley Girls still exist?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Cali cats....critique plezz?Shit seemed like a real sub-culture back when i was a kid.But i was in NYC and there was nuthin like it here.Has it just kinda dissolved into the mainstream suburban Cali-steez?How did this really happen? Old Cali cats....stories pleez?Any San Fernando dudes out there?

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    that's so weird, I was totally just about to post this, like omygod

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I lived in Panorama City in the 80's and it was grimey. Gangs were spreading and coke was everywhere. I remember gawking at Valley people at the Galleria, but they never came to the Panorama City mall. Funny I haven't been back there since 87 and I live over the hill.,

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    like, totally. ventura blvd.

i love the northeast valley.

Gag me with a spoon.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    that's so weird, I was totally just about to post this, like omygod

But seriously Im intrigued by the linguistics. Its sounds like a bastardized Surfer talk.

Gag me with a spoon.

as if. no but im serious, its peaceful out there.

my homie from gardena always makes fun of the valley kinda like how dudes from nyc make fun of new jersey.

my homie from gardena always makes fun of the valley kinda like how dudes from nyc make fun of new jersey.

So its still around in more modern form?

And...were there any Bands that came out from that area? Rich Punk kids?

oh, i didnt mean that he makes fun of the accent or valley girls. i mean he just likes to make fun of the valley and acts like everyone from the valley is from a different planet.

i dont know about rich punk kids coming out of the valley. but ritchie valens came out of pacoima.

oh, i didnt mean that he makes fun of the accent or valley girls. i mean he just likes to make fun of the valley and acts like everyone from the valley is from a different planet.

What makes the Valley "wierd"?

Nothing. It's boring and it sucks.

hell if i know. prolly the same thing that makes jersey "weird". and by that i mean nothing.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Yea they are definitely still out there, and yes they are from the valley.

There's actually an 18 year old Valley girl in a class of mine. she's bonkers and she wont shut up. Mega adult ADD.

yes but is she from the valley? most the time i find theyre from like san diego or like danville or some shit.

yes but is she from the valley? most the time i find theyre from like san diego or like danville or some shit.

Topenga actually. Does that count? I think it does.

• somebody should do a Big L type "Ebonics" jam wit valley girl slang teng..I grew up in NY too but i remember girls in school imitating..

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    YES.

I know a living one.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    The stereotypes are true. The Valley sucks. I really want to move someday. Maybe to the Northwest where theres actual culture but still, you know, the West Coast. Maybe I'm just a misogynist bastard, but I have never meet one girl my age out here who doesn't seem like a dumb pile of bricks: the types who probably wouldn't be able to function one day without their iPhones, MySpace and daddy's luxury cars. And it definitely isn't just the blonde white girls.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    somebody should do a Big L type "Ebonics" jam wit valley girl slang teng..I grew up in NY too but i remember girls in school imitating..

don't take this the wrong way, but yr post depresses the hell out of me...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Not Valley per say. But Gap Girls rock!

• thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
    ***hella***

• They like have found ways to migrate via planes, trains and automobiles. They are like everywhere like, even in the Midwest. Like totally, I met a few in Europe last summer and like oh my gad.

Yeah but there's a particular sound to the authentic val accent. You can tell Cindy from Indiana has never been to California.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Valley girls still exist, but the term "Valley girl" is like so 1997 and like seriously phased out.

sign of a modern-day Valley girl (year 2008):

-blonde highlights, even in dark hair
    -faux tan
    -Starbucks cup because signature Valley girl speech is impossible without the extra shot of espresso
    -big ass sunglasses
    -boots with the fur/colorful flip flops
    -etc.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    i dont know about rich punk kids coming out of the valley.

Two words: Orange County.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Valley girls still exist, but the term "Valley girl" is like so 1997 and like seriously phased out.

sign of a modern-day Valley girl (year 2008):

-blonde highlights, even in dark hair
    -faux tan
    -Starbucks cup because signature Valley girl speech is impossible without the extra shot of espresso
    -big ass sunglasses
    -boots with the fur/colorful flip flops
    -etc.

You just described most of the white women on my campus.