Do Valley Girls still exist?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i dont know about rich punk kids coming out of the valley.

Two words: Orange County.

I think geography matters here though. Part of what makes the Valley, the Valley is its displacement away from the rest of the basin. Hence, I think, the comparison b/t LA : Valley as NY : NJ.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

I think geography matters here though. Part of what makes the Valley, the Valley is its displacement away from the rest of the basin. Hence, I think, the comparison b/t LA : Valley as NY : NJ.

I do not claim to speak for the Valley, but the OC is the undisputed leader in rich punk kids.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    uhhhh....I hate to crash the party, but Valley Girls were the 80s version of beckys

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

But seriously Im intrigued by the linguistics. Its sounds like a bastardized Surfer talk.

Isn't that the girl from White Chicks?? What show is this??

Brittany Daniel turned out to be a hot chick IMO

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I do not claim to speak for the Valley, but the OC is the undisputed leader in rich punk kids.

So where was the PUNK music coming from?

uhhhh....I hate to crash the party, but Valley Girls were the 80s version of beckys

But the rich teenager in anytown USA didnt speak Valley.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    thanks to moon unit and nick cage they did

Hahaha....

Any one have any ideas on how the language evolved?
    If Moon Zappa had that record in 81-ish I would think the style was being spoke before that....78/79/80?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    It's funny how such a boring place would have such a huge effect of popular culture. I wonder if this conversation would exist if it were not for Moon Unit promoting it.

Someone needs to do a 2008 Laguna Beach version. They've taken the crown for goofy white socal speak.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Valley girls still exist, but the term "Valley girl" is like so 1997 and like seriously phased out.

sign of a modern-day Valley girl (year 2008):

-blonde highlights, even in dark hair
    -faux tan
    -Starbucks cup because signature Valley girl speech is impossible without the extra shot of espresso
    -big ass sunglasses
    -boots with the fur/colorful flip flops
    -etc.

You just described most of the white women on my campus.

my campus, too

and probably most others

batmon said:

Hahaha....

Any one have any ideas on how the language evolved?
    If Moon Zappa had that record in 81-ish I would think the style was being spoke before that....78/79/80?

I was watching Foxes w Jodie Foster and that Runaways chick, and one of the girls say Fer Sure. This is 80 but was probably filmed in '79.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Tempe, AZ

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Tempe, AZ

east valley girls, true

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    About 80% of all these new young white chicks that have moved into DC all over use the word "like" and carry their conversations with that same emphasized false question mark at the end of each sentence.

Being clueless is in.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Really an 80s thing wasn't it? I lived with my aunt for a while in '82 in Canoga Park in LA. She used to think the whole valley girl phenom was hilarious - the chicks in the neighborhood definitely seemed to fit the bill - she had this gimmick book on the subject that i remember poring over.

It went into vernacular (Ferr shurr - totally tubular) , dress code and even had a section on valley guys. I have a feeling American females just absorbed the whole valley girl stance as a whole to an extent - that whole steez pretty much ubiquitous now isnt it?

Like, totally.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    not certain of Teh darlings 'round heyar are from napa doe. Suspicion.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    staxwax said:
    It went into vernacular (Ferr shurr - totally tubular) , dress code and even had a section on valley guys. I have a feeling American females just absorbed the whole valley girl stance as a whole to an extent - that whole steez pretty much ubiquitous now isnt it?

I think it's pretty much accepted among sociolinguists that Valleyspeak is the single most influential idiom on modern American speech.

Some of the catch phrases, like 'tubular' have fallen of, but the syntax and inflections are now deeply rooted - the drawn out final syllable, the questionizing of statements, the vocal fry.

I'm not sure what this says about America in general.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

hahahaha.

no matter how much awful music of dude's I hear, or how much news and commentary I accidentally read about this dude, nothing beats the pure hilarity of his smug mug. what a talentless jackass.

• Holy shit, didn't even realize I was replying to a 5 year old thread that I've already replied in.

• thesolelife said:
    ***hella***

'hella' is associated primarily with Northern California. GAWD!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    prof_rockwell said:
    batmon said:
    Cali cats....critique plezz?

Shit seemed like a real sub-culture back when i was a kid.

But i was in NYC and there was nuthin like it here.

Has it just kinda dissolved into the mainstream suburban Cali-steez?

How did this really happen? Old Cali cats....stories pleez?

Any San Fernando dudes out there?

You don't have to be from the Valley to be a Valley Girl. The chica I overheard in Williamsburg complaining about having to work part-time so she could work on her jewelry line and trying to explain her passion to her parents while they were at the yacht club in Connecticut is a great example.

I think there's a distinction there though, between the spoiled rotten Northeast yacht club set and the Valley Girl set. More Muffy 'n' Nem than Buffy 'n' Nem.

• DB_Cooper said:
    prof_rockwell said:
    batmon said:

You don't have to be from the Valley to be a Valley Girl. The chica I overheard in Williamsburg complaining about having to work part-time so she could work on her jewelry line and trying to explain her passion to her parents while they were at the yacht club in Connecticut is a great example.

I think there's a distinction there though, between the spoiled rotten Northeast yacht club set and the Valley Girl set. More Muffy 'n' Nem than Buffy 'n' Nem.

Yeah, the trappings are different, but the core essence is pretty much the same.

prof_rockwell said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    prof_rockwell said:
    batmon said:

Yeah, the trappings are different, but the core essence is pretty much the same.

Yeah, but at its root, I would think rich Cali girls of that specific region in the 70's were drawing from surfer talk. Along w/ self-created slang.

Shit got jacked by others. Its the White Girl Hip Hop!!!!

prof_rockwell said:
    thesolelife said:
    ***hella***

folls under the age of 30 will not remember this, but it used to be even more granular: this was not a N CA term so much as an SF Bay Area term. Santa Cruz folks were def. not using this term until the mid-to-late- 90s. and since then it's spread even further south. seems like it's CA-wide at this point.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    prof_rockwell said:
    thesolelife said:
    ***hella***

folls under the age of 30 will not remember this, but it used to be even more granular: this was not a N CA term so much as an SF Bay Area term. Santa Cruz folks were def. not using this term until the mid-to-late- 90s. and since then it's spread even further south. seems like it's CA-wide at this point.

I recently saw somebody post that the line at the coffee shop was so long that it took "hella of time" to get her drink.

Hella of time.

For fuck's sake.

b/w

I thought it was weird that Imani used "hella" in his verse on "Drop." I remember thinking, "Isn't that some Bay shit? And aren't you from LA?"

"hecka" is my shit.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    prof_rockwell said:
    thesolelife said:
    ***hella***

I recently saw somebody post that the line at the coffee shop was so long that it took "hella of time" to get her drink.

Hella of time.

For fuck's sake.

b/w

I thought it was weird that Imani used "hella" in his verse on "Drop." I remember thinking, "Isn't that some Bay shit? And aren't you from LA?"
    What's the ruling on Minneapolis native Prince going out like Just "Don't Curse" Blaze and perpetrating with "hecka" ("your body's ~ slammin'!")?