Iron Man

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    What is this interest in seeing childhood shows being remade into movies?

What's wrong with just enjoying shows as they were? I don't need a live action Robotech when I can still, you know, watch Robotech.

Honestly: did "Transformers" actually make anyone like the OG show more?

The Transformers Movie, imperfect as it is, was a dream-come-true for me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

What's wrong with just enjoying shows as they were? I don't need a live action Robotech when I can still, you know, watch Robotech.

Wow. I can't remotely go there. I'm not implicitly hostile to the idea of the movie but I didn't find it very convincing (let alone compelling) as a live-action transforming robots flick.

And those GI Joe photos look like an American Apparel photo shoot gone really wrong.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Wow. I can't remotely go there. I'm not implicitly hostile to the idea of the movie but I didn't find it very convincing (let alone compelling) as a live-action transforming robots flick.

And those GI Joe photos look like an American Apparel photo shoot gone really wrong.

As a kid you never thought about how kick ass it would be if Transformer's was live-action? I was never that down with GI Joe though.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Sayin. How can go from this

to that mess?

As a kid you never thought about how kick ass it would be if Transformer's was live-action? I was never that down with GI Joe though.

I didn't have a problem with the idea. I just thought the movie sucked shit.

And again, is it really "live action" when we're talking about CGI out the ass? Where is the "live" exactly?

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not hostile to CGI but I didn't find Bay's approach to the actual transforming to be very interesting. I think the only exception is that one scene where Megatron goes from jet to robot and swings around a building. Otherwise...meh.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    i thought RDJ was pretty hammy..

he was playing a bazillionaire genius alcoholic...how was he supposed to act?

I do surf lessons with this guy who lives on the next street over. We went out this morning and ended up talking about Ironman. Apparently RDJ was on island last year filming that POS 'Tropic Thunder' movie. He booked a lesson with surfer dude, they hit it off, and dude ended up hiking and surfing with RDJ and his family several days a week for a couple months.

Anyway, he saw the movie yesterday & said that RDJ was basically playing himself... that he is like that all day every day. Also that he seemed very clean and sober while he was out here, except for the chain-smoking. That's my gossip for the day. Looking forward to seeing the movie.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Agreed.

BUT...

I just got back from Japan and when when I walked out of the subway in Akihabara, the first thing I saw was

OHH SNAP!

Someone would butcher that as a movie. I know it. But I'd still like to see that shit.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Im real hesitant about Speed Racer.

This looks atrocious. Then again, I thought "V is for Vendetta" turned out to be a better film that I initially would have guessed.

ditto on both but I just saw an extended trailer for Speed Racer in the theater recently that changed my mind and now I want to see it BAD.

And yeah Batmon and co. i guess Im a little younger than you cats, to my generation it was all about them dope 80s cartoons, not so much comics, so what I really meant was what 80s cartoons are left to be made into movies, shoulda made that a bit more clear in my post. I always followed the cartoons more than comics.

I'm really hoping someone does something on Thundercats. As for Transformers, its not about making the old shit more appealing, its about adding another layer to it, taking advantage of all the new tech to create a new perceptive to the old series i grew up loving. And some I think would make dope stories, like a whole TV series based on GI JOE would be fly if written properly.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Im real hesitant about Speed Racer.

This looks atrocious. Then again, I thought "V is for Vendetta" turned out to be a better film that I initially would have guessed.

ditto on both but I just saw an extended trailer for Speed Racer in the theater recently that changed my mind and now I want to see it BAD.

And yeah Batmon and co. i guess Im a little younger than you cats, to my generation it was all about them dope 80s cartoons, not so much comics, so what I really meant was what 80s cartoons are left to be made into movies, shoulda made that a bit more clear in my post. I always followed the cartoons more than comics.

I'm really hoping someone does something on Thundercats. As for Transformers, its not about making the old shit more appealing, its about adding another layer to it, taking advantage of all the new tech to create a new perceptive to the old series i grew up loving. And some I think would make dope stories, like a whole TV series based on GI JOE would be fly if written properly.

Im older tahn u but as a comic cat, i was still watchin Voltron,Transformers,G.I.Joe,Thundercats,He-Man & The Masters of the Universe, Mutant Ninjas Turtles, FF4 w/ Berbie, Thing Ring- Do Your Thing,Orbots,Thundarr The Barbarian,etc....We can name shit forever.

But im sorry, as much as you kids wanna see this shit fleshed out....IT JUST DOESNT TRANSLATE TO MOVIES WELL.

IRONMAN/CAPTAIN/AMERICA/SUPERMAN/BATMAN/ETC....these characters came about during a hard time in America. The longevity proves it.It can adapt to any era. Im sorry but my friends kids dont give a fuck about Transformers and Thundercats. Those stories didnt evolve past the cartoons. By the time the 90's came around w/ SPAWN/Image/etc, Transformers was dead.....Thundercats....dead....

Speed Racer has outlived All those 80's joints, except maybe GI Joe.
    And dont get me startted on G-Force/Battle of The Planets/GATCHIMAN!!!!

If anything these second tier mythologies should be upgraded w/in thier genres.
    Give me updated anime, not CGI gimmicks w/ bad acting and hot chicks to camoflague bad story telling.

Batmon speaketh the TRUTH.

i thought RDJ was pretty hammy..

he was playing a bazillionaire genius alcoholic...how was he supposed to act?

I do surf lessons with this guy who lives on the next street over. We went out this morning and ended up talking about Ironman. Apparently RDJ was on island last year filming that POS 'Tropic Thunder' movie. He booked a lesson with surfer dude, they hit it off, and dude ended up hiking and surfing with RDJ and his family several days a week for a couple months.

Anyway, he saw the movie yesterday & said that RDJ was basically playing himself... that he is like that all day every day. Also that he seemed very clean and sober while he was out here, except for the chain-smoking. That's my gossip for the day. Looking forward to seeing the movie.

I saw an interview w/ Gwynyth Paltrow and she said that alot of the script was improvised. I can imagine that she and Terrence Howard have the ability to free flow w/ RDJ. The "looseness" was apparent.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    i should qualify that i saw the movie at the tail end of a four day bender, having just ended it finally with my ex after one last shag, whilst eating takeout chinese food while a mate next to me slept through it. Another friend who saw it with me loved it. So whatever yo, I stand by my original comments, it went too long, the action scenes were cool, and the acting was ehhh.

Just caught it and while I found the first 2/3rds quite entertaining (the last third was "meh"), the plot holes are kind of astounding, even for a film of this genre.

Possible spoiler alert***

1) Why do the terrorists need Stark to build a missile system they can just BUY? That makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.

2) Hmm...you're going to lock up a weapons designing genius in a cave with...lots of weapons. Gee, you think maybe that's not such a good idea?

3) The magnetic chest device was built to keep shrapnel from entering his heart. It is not, however, a mechanical heart, right? (In the film, I mean). So if someone were to remove said device, then it's not that the heart slows down, it's that his aorta gets lacerated by shrapnel. Apparently, the screenwriters seem to have forgotten this point by the time we get midway through the movie.

That said: I want to see bald Jeff Bridges vs. bald William Hurt in a bald baddie death math. JYEAH!

3) The magnetic chest device was built to keep shrapnel from entering his heart. It is not, however, a mechanical heart, right? (In the film, I mean). So if someone were to remove said device, then it's not that the heart slows down, it's that his aorta gets lacerated by shrapnel. Apparently, the screenwriters seem to have forgotten this point by the time we get midway through the movie.

I guess it the schrapnel doesnt automatically fuc w/ his heart, if he was able to hold a convo w/ Pepper while she switched in the new one.

But they did make it seem that it was his "Heart" especially when she gave him the OG one in a case that said "Tony has Heart". Shit got blurred.

Plus, Where is dudes sternum?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    1) Why do the terrorists need Stark to build a missile system they can just BUY? That makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.

The terrorists were buying the Stark weapons under the table from Stark's partner Obedia. Now that they captured Stark himself they could get the missiles for free, and not pay!

Streeeeeeetch

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Just caught it and while I found the first 2/3rds quite entertaining (the last third was "meh"), the plot holes are kind of astounding, even for a film of this genre.

Possible spoiler alert***

1)Why do the terrorists need Stark to build a missile system they can just BUY? That makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.

2) Hmm...you're going to lock up a weapons designing genius in a cave with...lots of weapons. Gee, you think maybe that's not such a good idea?

That said: I want to see bald Jeff Bridges vs. bald William Hurt in a bald baddie death math. JYEAH!

Dude, your asking way to much from your cartoon movies!

1. They ended up with the inventor for free, which means they could have him make the missile system for free. Plus, they live in a cave so they don't have tons of money and at that point Stark Industies wasn't selling anyone that system it was brand new. If you have Bill Gates in your basement and your poor, would you really pay for the new Mircosoft program or make him write the program?

2. Ummmmmmm they had him under survallience and charged in the second he wasn't on screen as well as almost killing the assistant when it didn't look like they were making the weapon. Plus THEY ARE STUPID MOVIE VILLIANS.

3. This bothered me for all of 2 min until something else happened. Who cares?

Seriously.......

It's a CARTOON made into a MOVIE. The only thing that bothered me is that they didn't play Iron Man everytime he kicked ass.

BTW Transformers ROCKED!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

The terrorists were buying the Stark weapons under the table from Stark's partner Obedia. Now that they captured Stark himself they could get the missiles for free, and not pay!

Also the terrorists were paid by Obadiah to kill Stark (or at least to destroy the military envoy). Obadiah didn't tell the terrorists that the target was Stark, a billionaire public figure. This pissed off the terrorists, as seen in the video clip that Pepper Potts saved. Terrorists were then cut off from their weapon supply and had to build their own shit.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Streeeeeeetch

So you're saying they'd rather buy a missile they could have built for them with free-slave labor?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Streeeeeeetch

Your right, they should have just killed him and called the movie
    "Iron Man doesn't exist because O-Dub thinks it's implausable."

Also the terrorists were paid by Obadiah to kill Stark (or at least to destroy the military envoy). Obadiah didn't tell the terrorists that the target was Stark, a billionaire public figure. This pissed off the terrorists, as seen in the video clip that Pepper Potts saved. Terrorists were then cut off from their weapon supply and had to build their own shit.

Exactly. Its just happened to be Stark that they were suppossed to kill.
    After the video was made, shit got shakey, but were able to get back in bed w/ Stane w/ the leftover blueprints. Stane still cut them out of the deal.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Spent my day off this afternoon checking this out in the a
    nice and empty arena-sized downtown theater. It was OK, take
    Robert Downey Jr. away and it's garbage, he makes the movie work.

I wasn't bored with it, pretty entertained ... the whole terrorists
    as bad guys thing gets tiresome, but Iron Man was the ultimate cold
    war superhero, so in a modern update it makes sense.

Enough about that, let's talk previews:

Batman - I was disappointed. Ledger does nothing for me as the Joker
    in the trailer, and the trailer is all him. Some of the action scenes
    looked pretty sweet, but I was expecting to be excited and was more ho-hum.

The Hulk, on the other hand, surprised me by how good it looked. Once I
    accept that the Hulk is going to be CGI no matter who makes it, and get past
    that, it looks like it could be a pretty fresh film. Bruce Banner as fugitive is the
    heart of early Hulk storylines, and Ed Norton looks perfect in the role.

Indiana Jones:

The Indy trailer made me feel 10 years old for a minute. I will be copping copiously.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    How the fcuk are they gonna have a white Tony STark???

This is the sum total of my thoughts on this film and I'll probably never see it but then I rarely watch comic book movies. Swamp Thing 4 life.

Spent my day off this afternoon checking this out in the a
    nice and empty arena-sized downtown theater. It was OK, take
    Robert Downey Jr. away and it's garbage, he makes the movie work.

I wasn't bored with it, pretty entertained ... the whole terrorists
    as bad guys thing gets tiresome, but Iron Man was the ultimate cold
    war superhero, so in a modern update it makes sense.

Enough about that, let's talk previews:

Batman - I was disappointed. Ledger does nothing for me as the Joker
    in the trailer, and the trailer is all him. Some of the action scenes
    looked pretty sweet, but I was expecting to be excited and was more ho-hum.

The Hulk, on the other hand, surprised me by how good it looked. Once I
    accept that the Hulk is going to be CGI no matter who makes it, and get past
    that, it looks like it could be a pretty fresh film. Bruce Banner as fugitive is the
    heart of early Hulk storylines, and Ed Norton looks perfect in the role.

Indiana Jones:

The Indy trailer made me feel 10 years old for a minute. I will be copping copiously.

I saw the special Batman IMAX preview and it was way better than what is shown before IronMan. Truthfully, im a little scurred regardless of what i saw.

Indy looks like some classic Hollywood shit.

As good as Ed Norton is Im not feeelin him as Banner. He'll pull it off though.

Cats I wanna see...

DC....

GREEN LANTERN
    Green Arrow

I wanna see a Green Lantern/Green Arrow based on the late-60's
    Neal Adams/Denny O'Neill issues, shot to look like it was filmed
    in 1969 and set then, as well. Get Oliver Stone to direct

I can picture Ant-Man done as a quirky more underground retro flick.

• How the fcuk are they gonna have a white Tony STark???

They're balancing that with a black Nick Fury I don't know

Cats I wanna see...

DC....

GREEN LANTERN
    Green Arrow

I wanna see a Green Lantern/Green Arrow based on the late-60's
    Neal Adams/Denny O'Neill issues, shot to look like it was filmed
    in 1969 and set then, as well. Get Oliver Stone to direct

I wonder if theyll ever do a character this way. Retro it up.

That would be

Speedy on Horse