Iron Man

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    7.5 and stay past the credits for some EXTRA TEASER SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    what was the teaser shit?war machine?

I think it may be a certain Agent of SHIELD...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

He's played by Samuel L. Jackson. I know that they made Fury a Black man in the Ultimate Universe, but its a lame Retcon. Its like if they would have cast Jennifer Aniston as Storm in the X-Men films. Give me the cigar chomping eyepatch dude with the white streaks in his hair. That's some iconic schitt. Those Steranko covers were ill. This kind of thing reminds me of when they drop a Shaman in the JLA to make them seem more multi-cultural. Its a pretty hollow gesture.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

He's played by Samuel L. Jackson. I know that they made Fury a Black man in the Ultimate Universe, but its a lame Retcon. Its like if they would have cast Jennifer Aniston as Storm in the X-Men films. Give me the cigar chomping eyepatch dude with the white streaks in his hair. That's some iconic schitt. Those Steranko covers were ill. This kind of thing reminds me of when they drop a Shaman in the JLA to make them seem more multi-cultural. Its a pretty hollow gesture.

BULLSHIT.

Storm has never had her "race" switched in Marvel so ur Jennifer Aniston anology is incorrect.

And making an all-Caucasoid team into a Multi-culti team is done to reflect the times dude. Im a traditional comic cat myself, but If Nick Fury has an African-American counterpart in one of the Marvel Continuities then they should feel free to incorporate that into the movie.

And tellin who it was is Its justt came out today. Restraint?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

BULLSHIT.

Storm has never had her "race" switched in Marvel so ur Jennifer Aniston anology is incorrect.

And making an all-Caucasoid team into a Multi-culti team is done to reflect the times dude. Im a traditional comic cat myself, but If Nick Fury has an African-American counterpart in one of the Marvel Continuities then they should feel free to incorporate that into the movie.

This for me is better than the Kingpin retcon. I didn't like that they chose to make a White villan into a Black person. Poor taste. If they want to reflect the times, then come up with some new stuff, don't mangle what was/is cool. The new Fury looks like Benjamin Cisco with an eyepatch. Bald & a Goatee? That schitt is dull. They should have kept it OG. I think Hasselhoff would make a better Nick Fury. This is just playing with iconic images in tacky ways.

BULLSHIT.

This for me is better than the Kingpin retcon. I didn't like that they chose to make a White villan into a Black person. Poor taste. If they want to reflect the times, then come up with some new stuff, don't mangle what was/is cool. The new Fury looks like Benjamin Cisco with an eyepatch. Bald & a Goatee? That schitt is dull. They should have kept it OG. I think Hasselhoff would make a better Nick Fury. This is just playing with iconic images in tacky ways.

Should they have kept Ironmans Origin story based in the Korean war?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

BULLSHIT.

Should they have kept Ironmans Origin story based in the Korean war?

I wouldn't mind the throwback style. It would have been cool & very different. On an associated tip, I always liked how the writers came up with imaginary countries like Qurac in DC or Wakanda. That the story is in Afganistan works, though. I guess I was never really an Ultimates fan & the films are riffs of the Ultimates stories. The only film that I've liked from all the Comic films, the Batman films included, was Spider-Man. X-Men did nothing for me & Batman Begins was only good because they last few Batman films were so horrible. I've always wanted to see the heroes appear in film in their og incarnations, but I guess what these guys drew a long time ago might not be something that you can make into a movie. Who would want to see that anyway, except for a few nerds? I have some hopes that Watchmen will be good.

I heard that a Captain America movie would start in World War 2 for the first movie. The second, showing his emergence from ICE in the turbulent 60's. And the third being in today's time.

I initially hatted a Black Kingpin, and that isnt even in the book. This has been discussed before but when a comic movie is made, you know the myth is going to be tinkered w/.

U have to admit, regardless of the bonus sequence after the credits, IronMan stayed quite close to the myth. The Jarvis as robot didnt annoy me.It was already a bite from Batman/Alfred. They choose to make that decision.

Another example of this is the Eartha Kitt Catwoman. Its hasnt altered the Myth at all. She's considered a part of the myth.

More examples -

David Banner on the Tv show, when its Robert in the book.
    The Captain America Show in the 70's was the son of Cap.
    Rogue gets her white streak fropm Magneto in the movie.
    Juggernaught losing his power to Leech in X-3.

If the tweaks dont really alter the story, I accept it.

Somethin like Sin City can replicate the book cause there isnt much history there.

Believe me I HATE the Ultimate universe. But I understand why it was implemented.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    RDJ killed it.

The effects team killed it.

Favreu did a decent job.

The stan lee cameo was excellent.

Useage of black sabbath's Iron man theme was minimal, but well done.

Overall a pretty decent comic book movie. I always hated reading iron man cause his villains were dumb, but grew to love him in Marvel Vs. Capcom.

- spidey

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    just saw this last night. Believe the hype. Shit's legit. I wish I had known about the teaser scene though

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Got a bootleg DVD as well so now I can watch a crappy version with Chinese subtitles at home.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    i liked this one a lot. i thought the war machine reference was tasteful and the teaser at the end got me excited about the next one. there's a comic store on my walk back from the theater so i stopped in and picked up a couple new Iron Man issues.

I always hated reading IronMan cause his villains were dumb, but grew to love him in Marvel Vs. Capcom

He doesnt have the Rogues of Spiderman/Superman/Batman.

But.....

The Mandarin is cool.

Did anyone catch the Mandarin reference w/ the Ten Rings Terrorist group?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    For a hero with such a history, Iron Man's rogues gallery is not that deep. AIM/MODOK is cool, but they're more of a Capt. America thing. Fing Fang Foom is part of the Mandarin story. Maybe that's why the title has gone through so many relaunches.

For a hero with such a history, Iron Man's rogues gallery is not that deep. AIM/MODOK is cool, but they're more of a Capt. America thing. Fing Fang Foom is part of the Mandarin story. Maybe that's why the title has gone through so many relaunches.

fin fang foom predates mandarin

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I can't remember the particulars, but I thought he was somehow linked to the Mandarin.

I can't remember the particulars, but I thought he was somehow linked to the Mandarin.

He was part of the Monster movement before Iron Man but they brought him back as a Mandarin controlled monster......If im not mistaken.

'61

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Just saw it today.

One of the best comic book movies I've seen yet.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    [quoteIm wondering, why didnt they get Ghostface to do the soundtrack? Now that would be killer.

As much as i like GF. IronMan is a 40+ year old character., and its not like the Prince/Batman scenario where Prince is a household name. GF aint like that.

But he will be on the DVD release cause they shot some footage w/ him. So Marvel does know his popularity w/ a certain demographic.
    I hear ya. I just seen it at the cinemas and there is a touch of GF in one of the scenes, just his song playing in the b/ground, which was fresh I thought. Plus there is a gang of samples for GF to use on his next album or mixtape...ehhehehe

So he's on the DVD...fresh. I think GF is one of the few rappers with the charisma to come off well on screen.

Now the next question is when will the sequel come out?

PS Extra props to the movie for having that hot blonde that used to be in the tv series Popular. Hell Yeah some new eye candy!!!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    what scene had a ghostface song?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I think the "club" scene on the airplane had ghost on the screen, behind him and the girls....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I think the "club" scene on the airplane had ghost on the screen, behind him and the girls....

That scene was pretty funny.

It's nice to see a decent comic flick for a change. Most suck, few are alright but very few are this good. The shit after the credits got me amp'd.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Marvel movie line up for 2010/11, accompanying games expected

Marvel have officially announced the details on a new slate of movies that will be coming in 2010 and 2011. Marvel recently said that it would announce the movies early to give their video game partners time to develop games for release at the same time as the movies. Iron Man 2 will be coming on April 30, 2010, followed by the launch of Thor on June 4, 2010. In the summer of 2011 Marvel is planning a two-picture project which will debut on May 6, 2011 with The First Avenger: Captain America (working title), followed by The Avengers in July 2011.

quote:

Feature Film Slate Update:

Marvel today updated its feature film slate strategy and plans for the next three years, locking in key release windows for its character franchises. In order to focus its attention on maximizing the success of an Iron Man sequel and the launch of Thor in the summer of 2010 and because Marvel believes that the summer is the optimal time to launch a new property, the Company will not release a self produced film in 2009. Marvel plans to launch its 2010 film slate with the release of the sequel, Iron Man 2, on April 30, 2010,[/b] followed by the launch of Thor on June 4, 2010. Additionally, Marvel is planting its feature film stakes for summer 2011 with an Avengers-themed summer ??? a two-picture project which will debut on May 6, 2011 with The First Avenger: Captain America (working title), followed by The Avengers in July 2011.

Marvel???s Chairman, Morton Handel, commented, ???Adjusting for the strong year-ago contribution from the Spider-Man JV, Marvel???s Q1 2008 operating results continued to demonstrate strong global demand for consumer products based on the Company???s portfolio of characters. Marvel???s self-produced feature film slate launched this past weekend with a performance that firmly establishes Iron Man as a major new film franchise, and the Company eagerly awaits the June premiere of The Incredible Hulk, Marvel???s second self-produced film. In addition, Marvel has been investing in other important areas of growth such as the Internet where, to lead the Company???s newly formed Global Digital Media Group, Marvel recently announced the hiring of Ira Rubenstein. Marvel has a strong foundation to build from, and the Company is adding infrastructure to maximize these opportunities.???

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=27421

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I enjoyed this flick and surprisingly, so did my wife. Have to say, the acting from top to bottom was top-notch. Of course, RDJ killed it.

Question (spoiler) - I didn't really understand what Pepper Potts did with that big fusion generator thing (forgot what it was technically called) -- Did Stark want her to blow it up simply for the sake of blowing it up? Or was there some connection with the big generator to the small generator that was powering the Stane's "IronMonger" armor?

Last comment to dudes complaining about a black actor (Samuel Jackson) playing Nick Fury -- that's technically not a "retcon." A retcon or "Retroactive continuity" is the deliberate changing of previously established[/b] facts in a work of serial fiction. There was nothing in the movie establishing that Fury was previously an old white guy, so there's no retcon. Just like any movie adaptation, "Iron Man" was not entirely true to the comic - if it was it would be lame. Also, I think the movie was a blending of the Iron Man in the OG Marvel Universe and the one in the Ultimate Universe (where Fury is black).

Ok, enough with the nerdiness.

I enjoyed this flick and surprisingly, so did my wife. Have to say, the acting from top to bottom was top-notch. Of course, RDJ killed it.

Question (spoiler) - I didn't really understand what Pepper Potts did with that big fusion generator thing (forgot what it was technically called) -- Did Stark want her to blow it up simply for the sake of blowing it up? Or was there some connection with the big generator to the small generator that was powering the Stane's "IronMonger" armor?

Last comment to dudes complaining about a black actor (Samuel Jackson) playing Nick Fury -- that's technically not a "retcon." A retcon or "Retroactive continuity" is the deliberate changing of previously established[/b] facts in a work of serial fiction. There was nothing in the movie establishing that Fury was previously an old white guy, so there's no retcon. Just like any movie adaptation, "Iron Man" was not entirely true to the comic - if it was it would be lame. Also, I think the movie was a blending of the Iron Man in the OG Marvel Universe and the one in the Ultimate Universe (where Fury is black).

Ok, enough with the nerdiness.

I though Potts blew it up to break the connection, then again, the "hearts" are like super batteries themselves. Didnt he avoid the initial explosion blast which short-circuited Stane's stolen "heart"?

Tony Stark in the comics is the head of SHIELD now, w/ Nick Fury working underground.

Sould i wait i coulple more days to say what i didnt like about this film?

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    No, feel free to speak on it now.

The actual end battle btwwn Stane & Stark was anti-climatic.

Iron Man really didnt do much to the IronMonger. The ice gimmick only slowed him down.
    I understand he was using the fisrt heart and he was also a rookie to this shit, but I really wanted a BALLS OUT REAL FIGHT!
    Fuck that "Pepper, throw the switch,NOW!!" BULLSHIT.

I can list a gang of superhero movies w/ WAY better Final scenes than this.

I really need more IRONMAN. I know its the "origin" story so i cant hold that agianst them.

THANK GOD THEY KEPT THE "LOVE INTEREST" STUFF TO A MINIMUM. I GOT JUST ENUFF W/ OUT THE USUAL EXTRA SAP.

Otherwise im gonna see it again.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    i thought it was pretty ehhh. shmaction scenes were cool, i can't really complain about the characters being cartoon characters when it's based on a comic.. it sucked less than most other marvel movies.. i thought RDJ was pretty hammy.. just my thoughts.. just went on for way too long without enough decent action scenes which is pretty much what you're really after in these things.. 80's bad guys = russians, 90's bad guys = asians, 00's bad guys - arabs.. yawn. I very much doubt i'd bother to watch it again, but then i must have been one of few people that didn't feel the spiderman movies either. just getting my hate on.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Just got back...loved it, hands down my fave Superhero movie next to "Batman Begins"...Downey was great, perfect actually...money/time well spent.