Are Raves a midwest thing?

2»

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    man i wish i went to some raves back in the day

in chicago raves were in warehouses and were not just white ppl X_X

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    One time I was at a rave a few blocks from Comisky Park. DJ Hyperactive was playing. In the corner of the warehouse was a giant pile of inflatable Enegizer Bunnies, it was crazy.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

Detroit's still keepin it up, soul funktion 07:

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    It's the next wave. 15 year olds in retro rave gear they raided from their parents closets. Maybe that's coming back too.

Does that mean phat pants are coming back?

Doing an image search I found a phat pants wikipedia page. I guess there is a wiki page for everything now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phat_pants

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Detroit's still keepin it up, soul funktion 07:

^^hella old dudes

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

You and your crazy pictographs.

Dude, I think you ought to know whats being hatted on here... you know how cornball over 99% of "raves" ever have been, and you know that shit deserves to be ridiculed. I know dance music has always been taken more seriously in Chi, but if they called them raves back in the day too thats too bad, cuz the term has some seriously negative connotations.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts

Dude, I think you ought to know whats being hatted on here... you know how cornball over 99% of "raves" ever have been, and you know that shit deserves to be ridiculed. I know dance music has always been taken more seriously in Chi, but if they called them raves back in the day too thats too bad, cuz the term has some seriously negative connotations.

especially after the RAVE Act was passed by Congress

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    i hope no one british posts in this thread...

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Here's an archive of wonderful Detroit rave flyers (circa '91 - 2000) with only a date, DJ line-up and phone numbers (no venue listed): http://www.onlyndetroit.com/html/rave/rave.htm

Actually, the concept of the site is pretty dope.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    There are quite a bit of raves going on in my area, my city has a real good following for the local techno/ghetto house DJs. It really surprises me that its still going. I have a lot of friends that are still into that stuff, they all know its dying and has been forever now. But, its kind of cool that people in my area are doing it. Now, I'm not much of a techno fan, but I'll ride for the stuff my friends play----drumcode/adam beyer, the advent, jeff mills, etc.

Its weird though, the raves that happen in my area are never in the city I'm in. They are always in some small town with a population of 300 and lots of people attend. Big names(donald glaude, frankie bones) have come and played in these small towns too which I still don't understand.

What makes me laugh though is that out of nowhere like two years ago everyone was all like "Do you listen to psy-trance?" And all of these trance raves were happening in the area. It definitely seems like the rave scene is coming back a little bit.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    There are quite a bit of raves going on in my area, my city has a real good following for the local techno/ghetto house DJs. It really surprises me that its still going. I have a lot of friends that are still into that stuff, they all know its dying and has been forever now. But, its kind of cool that people in my area are doing it. Now, I'm not much of a techno fan, but I'll ride for the stuff my friends play----drumcode/adam beyer, the advent, jeff mills, etc.

Its weird though, the raves that happen in my area are never in the city I'm in. They are always in some small town with a population of 300 and lots of people attend. Big names(donald glaude, frankie bones) have come and played in these small towns too which I still don't understand.

What makes me laugh though is that out of nowhere like two years ago everyone was all like "Do you listen to psy-trance?" And all of these trance raves were happening in the area. It definitely seems like the rave scene is coming back a little bit.

good answer.

yuichi-no.

Um...I just find it kind of weird how they don't want to let go. But I guess it's good it is coming back for those who are feeling it.

Me? notsomuch.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i hope no one british posts in this thread...

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Raves are back - at least in the UK there seem to be a grip of huge, dreadful retro parties happening. Kids with Campagnolo caps, white gloves and global hypercolor T-shirts going nuts to bad early 90s dance and downing tons of ketamine.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

http://music.guardian.co.uk/electronic/story/0,,2273951,00.html

A nice read, here are some key quotes.

What was good about it:

Mark Moore: It definitely took ecstasy to change things. People would take their first ecstasy and it was almost as if they were born again. They suddenly got it: 'Oh my God, this is amazing!' You could watch these people walk into the club as one person and walk out as a different person at the end of the night.

We did think: 'Wow, this is going to change the entire universe. We are going to stop wars; we are going to stop people being repressed in other countries. We are going to elevate to a whole new level of consciousness.' There was this very spiritual side to it originally

Nicky Holloway (DJ): The ecstasy and the music came together. It was all part of the package. People who hadn't done ecstasy didn't really get it, and as soon as they did an E they got it. That may sound a little sad, but there's no way acid house would have taken off the way it did without ecstasy.

John McCready (DJ and journalist with The Face): At the Ha??ienda it was almost as if a generation breathed a sigh of relief, having been relieved of the pressure of the chase.

Dave Haslam: Ecstasy intensified the experience and also meant the crowd were pretty responsive to dancing to music they had not heard before, which was very liberating

why it was destined to go tits up:

Dave Haslam: I remember DJing one New Year's Eve at one club and it was full, and everyone was in there for five, six hours. Afterwards the bar manager told me he'd sold just one pint of lager[/b] despite the amount of people present in the club.

and why it's needed now:

Pete Tong: It was all one love, everyone together. Anyone can dance all of a sudden, freedom of expression. Dress down, not up[/b]. Converse trainers, smiley T-shirts - a sort of tribalism took over. Everyone was happy to be the same.

Unfortunately crass materialism is worse now imho.

Fabio: It wasn't just the drugs. I think the timing and the social aspect was just as important as the drugs. It's difficult to remember now what Thatcher's Britain felt like. A lot of people were unemployed and bored, and felt very distant from everything else that was going on in society. A lot of people were searching for something, for a way out. It's difficult to recall how drab things were at the time.

Dave Haslam: breaking down social and musical barriers was an important part of what was achieved. In the late Eighties, courtesy of Thatcher, communities had been fragmented, ghettoised, marginalised; but on the Ha??ienda dancefloor those divisions, that horrible selfishness, seemed to melt away.

Things are far worse for today's youth now than back then. Thatcher's Britain was no eden, but now we're living in a big fuck-off supermarket, not a society.

Danny Rampling: It changed a lot of people's lives for ever. The strength of the whole experience was more than just going to a club and listening to music. It changed a million mindsets. It had a profound effect on anyone who experienced a night in a warehouse, a field, a basement or a club. And people have enduring memories to this day, quite rightly so. It was an absolutely amazing experience for a whole generation. It completely deconstructed the way we were thinking back then. If you look at youth culture now, it's just gang culture and violence and knives and just wasting that youthful energy. If only we could have it all again, because youth culture is screaming out for positive change. It really is.[/b]

Maybe not the exactly same thing again, but something is needed - this last part put me in mind of some of the things I read about the recently deceased Albert Hoffman and his desire to see LSD used for therapeutic purposes. As I used but never abused either substance, I can only say I think I'm a much better person for doing both drugs.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    did not watch yr clips, but my point was that here in the US, rave = clown pants, glow sticks, and techno, wheras in the UK, a rave can mean this

'Rave' is another one of those things we Brits 'borrowed' from black America, made our own, and then it got passed back over the Atlantic again.

UK ravers back in the late 80's early 90's dressed in similar 'wacky' fashions, and enjoyed dancing to techno, amongst other music.

The grime kids have just co-opted the term again. (We also still have cheesy techno 'raves'.)

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I love how disconnected and hatterriffic this board gets as soon as there is a thread on something other than bay area restaurants, obama or dilla. Who's wearing the clown pants?

I am sure the first response to my post will be something super witty like 'raver revealed' or 'no' or 'doo doo' fuck it i don't care.

So as far as the grime 'raves' in the UK, almost every rave or party i have been too (i think they are only technically called raves if the location is private, usually a warehouse or outdoors somewhere) has had jungle djs with mcs. A lot of these mcs have hip hop projects and just come out to help out their dj crews.

What most of you are describing with the reflective phat pants, pacifiers, glow sticks, candy(jewelry), e-tards, super young kids... etc. is candy ravers. Something like this:

Mainly the kids that ended up going to raves during the end of their popularity, younguns/promoters looking to get fucked up. Ketamine, NO, e, heroin.

The bigger djs moved to clubs and played to the ravers that got too old/sober for the underground events.

The raves i have been much more diverse than any hip hop show i have ever been to, breakers, mcs, graffiti artists, psychedelic visual crews using abandoned school projectors, smart drinks, bupple wrap rooms, american flag trampolines, bubble gum waitresses, djs giving away bags of fried chicken, roller skates.

And the music diverse; acid house, minimal, gabber hardcore, disco, psych, dnb, hip hop, ghetto house, industrial, trance, horrorcore.

It sounds like most of you all's rave experiences were at the Area 1 festival. Get a grip, shit has been around forever and isn't going anywhere, keeps changing.

Okay bring on the homo soft batch graemlin war.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

did not watch yr clips, but my point was that here in the US, rave = clown pants, glow sticks, and techno, wheras in the UK, a rave can mean this:

can mean what? annoying MCs?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    oh good a thread where we make fun of teenagers

not you in particular, dude. just teenagers in general.

no really though threads that make fun of teenagers are a hell of a lot less creepy than the ones where 30-somethings on here try to be like teeangers.

Like, say, when dudes crash a discussion of Joe Bataan's music requesting naked pics of his daughter? Or does that fall under the category of 30-somethings actually succeeding in acting like teenagers?

• Okay bring on the homo soft batch graemlin war.

Yeah, raves still go on. Does this count?
    http://www.myspace.com/detroitmusicfest

They get official sponsorship from the city of Detroit, too, I think. No Kilpatrick.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Okay bring on the homo soft batch graemlin war.

Yeah, raves still go on. Does this count?
    http://www.myspace.com/detroitmusicfest

They get official sponsorship from the city of Detroit, too, I think. No Kilpatrick.

if theo parrish is there, it's the shit.

I guess if it ain't got soul, im not feeling it.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Elise,
    they've got raves out here in the west. Here's how it goes down:

You need to take an egg to a convenience store and say "i'd like to exchange this egg." You need to make sure you're at the right convenience store or else you won't get directions to the location.

Once you're in, you'll see a guy with a black shirt with a large white X on it. He sells ecstacy.

Don't let Dylan McKay get too drunk though. Oh, and your car windows will get smashed.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    thats sounds like the hood. So it must be at a Whole Foods, and that egg best be cage-free.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    soul
    myopic

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    soul
    myopic

really? explain why you think it's myopic?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    explain what you mean by 'soul' in concrete terms

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    oh good a thread where we make fun of teenagers

not you in particular, dude. just teenagers in general.

no really though threads that make fun of teenagers are a hell of a lot less creepy than the ones where 30-somethings on here try to be like teeangers.

Like, say, when dudes crash a discussion of Joe Bataan's music requesting naked pics of his daughter? Or does that fall under the category of 30-somethings actually succeeding in acting like teenagers?