Are Raves a midwest thing?

eliseelise 3,252 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Cause i am so sick of em. And the people who play at them, post the flyers for them, etc.I was just thinking...I am seeing this cause I'm in the midwest? Please tell me it's just a midwest thing, please!!!!!!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Cause i am so sick of em. And the people who play at them, post the flyers for them, etc.

I was just thinking...I am seeing this cause I'm in the midwest?

Please tell me it's just a midwest thing, please!!!!!!

90's thing

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    *edit

I do not attend said raves. I am so sick of the cheesy flyers.

U dont keep a glowstick necklace in your purse?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    U dont keep a glowstick necklace in your purse?

they make necklaces...oh shit.

So my eastcoast friend, do you see crazy flyers for "raves" up in NY?

I have also noticed it to be like a trend thing again too? Again, I am not that cool, so I have no idea.

I've just noticed 18 year olds lately with pacifiers and gear.

I know its a 90's thing, but I am wondering if it still exists here in the US. OR, if it is still carrying on here in the midwest?? I mean like cheesy raves. Horrible, horrible, horrrrrrrrrrrible music.

And the thing is, its not a joke. these people are serious.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Rave??!? What sort of antiquated language are you speaking?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    is that a pacifier around your neck?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    It's the next wave. 15 year olds in retro rave gear they raided from their parents closets. Maybe that's coming back too.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    oh good a thread where we make fun of teenagers

• ravers have now moved on, gravitating towards jam bands, out door festivals and a deep understanding of the earth.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i hope no one british posts in this thread...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    well they are pissing me off. Does this make me old?

lol.

not you in particular, dude. just teenagers in general.

no really though threads that make fun of teenagers are a hell of a lot less creepy than the ones where 30-somethings on here try to be like teeangers.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I sweeeaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr

lol

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

no really though threads that make fun of teenagers are a hell of a lot less creepy than the ones where 30-somethings on here try to be like teeangers.
    what about guys who spend their lives being meta about a message board

what about guys who spend their lives being meta about a message board

it's foul to call out faux like that. I'm not even sure he's signed in right now.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

haaaaaa
    That is so Soulstrut

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    but what if these people are in they early 30's and take the raves seriously? I mean it sounds like people who are in they mid 40's and go to the Whitesnake Reunion Tour.

Maybe I'm a hatteur, but I don't get the pull. Thats why I was wondering if it was a midwestern thing. Since I am moving soon to the west.... I NEED TO KNOW!!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    My guess is you'll find raves wherever there are no black people.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    [DC related]

does anyone remember that huuuuuuuuge report fox5 did on raves when that loophole made ecstasy legal to use back in like '96?

it was like a month or two after they bad mouthed the straight edge scene. ha!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    My guess is you'll find raves wherever there are no black people.

That must be a mid west thing.

From the first rave I went to in the early 90's (In the UK & Toronto) to the last one I ever went to in the late 90's there were always plenty of people of all colours.

We did the sound for a ton of parties through out those days. I'd always get a kick outta hot gurls showing up, but when they left at 10 in the morning, they all looked like zombies!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    RI at least.

Rhode Island raves,

Srly tho, I would say raves for me is somewhat of a Midwest thing -- Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin -- lots of people "raved". One time, after Deep Dish a event in Milwaukee and I saw a chick with orange camouflage pants -- cheese camo, it was crazy. Detroit, Michigan raved, too, but not sure if that is still considered Midwest.

• PLURPLUR 28 Posts
    Cause i am so sick of em. And the people who play at them, post the flyers for them, etc.

OH MY GOD GUYZZZ! RAVES R NOT A MIDLEWEST THING THEY STARTED IN ENGLUND WARE THA BREAKZ STARTD. ELIZE U R SOOO RONG RITE NOW! SOOO RONG! U GUYZ SAY U LIKE BREAKZ BUTT U DONT LIEK RAVEZ???? WAEK UP SOULSTRUT!!!

AT THA RAVE THER IS A ROOM THA BREAKZ ROOM WARE THEY PLAY BREAKZ ALL NITE LONG!!!!!!

I GET MY UFO PANTS AT THA RMY NAVEY STORE OR SUMTIMES I SO THEM 2GETHER OUTT UV OLD RUGZ AND BATHROBEZ AND MAYB SUM STUFFED ANIML HEADZ. HAVING BIG PANTS IS PART OF THA HIP HOP BREAKZ CULTUR. POOR PPL WORE THEM BCUZ THEY CULDNT AFORD PANTS THAT FIT RITE AND IT IS SO RACIST AND JUST RONG TO MAKE FUN OF THA STILE THAT CAME FROM THA STREETZ!!!!!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Aren't raves everywhere?

OH MY GOD GUYZZZ! RAVES R NOT A MIDLEWEST THING THEY STARTED IN ENGLUND WARE THA BREAKZ STARTD. ELIZE U R SOOO RONG RITE NOW! SOOO RONG! U GUYZ SAY U LIKE BREAKZ BUTT U DONT LIEK RAVEZ???? WAEK UP SOULSTRUT!!!

AT THA RAVE THER IS A ROOM THA BREAKZ ROOM WARE THEY PLAY BREAKZ ALL NITE LONG!!!!!!

I GET MY UFO PANTS AT THA RMY NAVEY STORE OR SUMTIMES I SO THEM 2GETHER OUTT UV OLD RUGZ AND BATHROBEZ AND MAYB SUM STUFFED ANIML HEADZ. HAVING BIG PANTS IS PART OF THA HIP HOP BREAKZ CULTUR. POOR PPL WORE THEM BCUZ THEY CULDNT AFORD PANTS THAT FIT RITE AND IT IS SO RACIST AND JUST RONG TO MAKE FUN OF THA STILE THAT CAME FROM THA STREETZ!!!!!

Alias?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Elise,

I would have thought this type of thing would be just up your aisle. Go to one before you start being judgmental!!! Don't front. Nobody fronts on your hipster loft party lifestyle. Anyway, I go every Saturday to raves. PLUR for life.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

Alias?
    I ride for PLUR

still ravin' in Richmond.
    this is actually one of their better flyers.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    be a lot better if it was at that 325 club

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Whatever, in 10 years (probably less) someone will collect a bunch of these flyers and put out a boutique book chronicling yet another oft-ridiculed and currently unappreciated medium.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Isn't techno black music?