Who's copping Grand Theft IV?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Impressions? For the swag-deficient? Or swag-proficient?

Comments

• Already in my hands. Longest day of work in my life. 5 o'clock can't come soon enough.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Not I.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    my friend copped yesterday after work from some underground video game store.

i haven't heard from him since.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    They're saying it's going to take $400-500 million in the first week.

It does sound pretty next level. You can use the main character's phone in the game, to send a msg over the internet to amazon.com, it takes note of the song that's playing on the games radio, and lists the mp3 on amazon ready for you to purchase and d/l when you next log in. A pretty clever way to sell music.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    uh... big up to Dundee, Scotland

who'd a thunk it?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'm not, but on a related note I want to get a mod chip for my nephew's Wii.

I read about a Wii "homebrew" where one doesn't need a mod chip, but I'll have to look into that and see how legit that is.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    got it last night, played for an hour and a half, still dont have a gun yet, although my roomate did bang and kill a few hookers.

see ya in hell

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    see ya in hell

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    funny you posted that, i ride hard for that video. caught it on vh1 classic like a year ago. ill make you an offer YOUCCAAANTREEEEFUUUSSSEEE.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    or ?

(sorta NSFW)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    beyond just the fact that this stuff is programmed into the game, what I find interesting about the IGN clip is how much sex and violence is intertwined here. It's not a new phenom, of course - look at slasher films - but I find it sad that a clip about the "Ladies of GTAIV" centers on how they're either there for Frickin' or killing.

And yeah, this isn't that much different from what you can see anywhere else in pop culture so I'm not laying it on the game or IGN. It's the pervasiveness of it that I'm responding to.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm not, but on a related note I want to get a mod chip for my nephew's Wii.

I read about a Wii "homebrew" where one doesn't need a mod chip, but I'll have to look into that and see how legit that is.

The latest and greatest chip/loader-free wii homebrew is the region free hack with Twilight Princess, but it won't get you backups without a chip.

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/04...er-free-gaming/

This is something of a cache22 for me since I have a Japanese Wii and it won't play the needed US version of Twilight Princess so that I can play other us games...

YES!

got it last night, played for an hour and a half, still dont have a gun yet, although my roomate did bang and kill a few hookers.

see ya in hell

GTA hooker pagaent

After suffering some wiigret, I now realize that I need:

A. a US region gaming console
    B. something a little more manly than the wii

I'm pretty much leaning to an 360 specifically for COD4, but I'm really trying to see a blu-ray player and some connectivity options between my psp and a PS3. The major downside to the PS3 is the lack of a viable media extender (kind of a console killer if you ask me).

opinions?

• got it last night, played for an hour and a half, still dont have a gun yet, although my roomate did bang and kill a few hookers.

see ya in hell
    LOL!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    The major downside to the PS3 is the lack of a viable media extender (kind of a console killer if you ask me).

I feel like a herb for asking this, but what is a media extender?

The major downside to the PS3 is the lack of a viable media extender (kind of a console killer if you ask me).

A device that actively delivers your media from your computer to another device, ie., tv.

A device that actively delivers your media from your computer to another device, ie., tv.

Ah, I see. Couldn't you run the PS3 through a Slingbox or something?

I'm gunning for the PS3/Metal Gear Solid Bundle coming out in June. If I can stream shit off the internet using the web browser, I'm pretty much straight. I just hope the old PS2 games I have are compatible with the backwards compatibility the PS3 kinda sorta has.

And on the GTA tip, does anyone have that 7CD GTA soundtrack box set? I just came up on it on sonystyle.com. It's $45, but there is so much great shit in those games it would almost be worth it, even for S.erato purposes.

Ah, I see. Couldn't you run the PS3 through a Slingbox or something?

you can run almost anything with HDMI through Slingbox, not too many advantages there since there are so many other PC to Mobile/web options that far exceed what can be done with Slingbox. Tversity for example... The only real advantage would be blu-ray over IP, which is kinda a moot point since you lose some much data in streaming that the HD quality would drop significantly. Sony's got it's own app/hardware anyway... that location free garbation.

• 5 FINGER STYLEE!!!!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Got it yesterday, played it for most of the day. Was geeked out for this since it's announcement and haven't been disappointed so far.

Script and voice acting is as on point as ever, you can watch TV this time which has some great MTV Sweet Sixteen style piss takes and the radio........

All I can say is, world funk station hosted by Femi Kuti, classic hip hop station mixed and hosted by Premier, jazz fusion station hosted by Roy Ayers, I could go on and on.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    I just hope the old PS2 games I have are compatible with the backwards compatibility the PS3 kinda sorta has.

ps2 compatibility is only implemented in the higher priced version of the ps3

i dont know if you have 2 versions in your country, we have one with a 40gb harddisk (no ps2 compatibility) and the higher priced version with 60gb wich is backwards compatible

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    multiplayer is where its at

taking out a car full of enemies from the other team with an RPG sure is satisfying

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ugh now i have to buy a ps3. bad times

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I guy I work with just copped it. He happens to live in the apt. above the restaurant we work at. I'm all over that game.

• young_creamyoung_cream 540 Posts
    is there any significant difference between the ps-triple gtaIV and the 360 one? I'm thinking about getting one of these systems just to play this

I just hope the old PS2 games I have are compatible with the backwards compatibility the PS3 kinda sorta has.

ps2 compatibility is only implemented in the higher priced version of the ps3

i dont know if you have 2 versions in your country, we have one with a 40gb harddisk (no ps2 compatibility) and the higher priced version with 60gb wich is backwards compatible

I am aware of that. The 40GB version is available now, but I need the BC of the bigger model, which they've taken away for the time being until they drop the bundle with Metal Gear Solid 4. I'm waiting for that one. In the meantime I might see if there are still any of the 60GB joints around with the hardware backwards compatibility. I'm not holding my breath though.

:

DJ: DJ Mister Cee and The Evil Genius DJ Green Lantern
    DJ: Mixed by DJ Premier
    DJ: Fran??ois K
    DJ: Roy Ayers
    DJ: Femi Kuti (!!!!)
    DJ: Bobby Konders (no Jabbaaaaaaa?)
    DJ: Iggy Pop

Not so much:

DJ: Karl Lagerfeld
    DJ: Juliette Lewis