Cops Aquitted of All Charges In Sean Bell Case

Comments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    LOL at "take this lying down"

you do sound scared man. don't worry white people are safe in this city.

EVEN IN CROWN HEIGHTS!!!

*sigh*

I can see it is going to be impossible to elicit a coherent response to my totally innocuous question in this thread. Have a nice day, folks.

PS Jonny, I'll be at Prospect Place and Flatbush if you want to stop by for tea. Not really Crown Heights, but still plenty of white people.

Toodles.

I'm just messing with you holmes.

But seriously - it's not 1992.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

so I ask NY strutters: is the community going to take this laying down or is there likely to be violence? are community leaders taking any steps to deal with the anger this verdict will engender?

obviously my hope is that things stay calm so as not to give the cops another opportunity to start shooting.

how is this an illegitimate question to ask?

I think it was the other 2/3rds of your original question that's the problem dude.

It might have been meant in humor but came off seeming

my original remark was meant to keep the suspect comic stylings of Jonny at bay.

it didn't work.

and no I don't think any community is violent.

bye.

LOL at "take this lying down"

you do sound scared man. don't worry white people are safe in this city.

EVEN IN CROWN HEIGHTS!!!

*sigh*

I can see it is going to be impossible to elicit a coherent response to my totally innocuous question in this thread. Have a nice day, folks.

PS Jonny, I'll be at Prospect Place and Flatbush if you want to stop by for tea. Not really Crown Heights, but still plenty of white people.

Toodles.

I'm just messing with you holmes.

But seriously - it's not 1992.

my offer of tea and crumpets still stands.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    but....my point is that i don't think anyone can say this verdict is complete bullshit until they sit down and look at the law and all the testimony and evidence.

JUST GO AHEAD AND CRACK YOURSELF OVER THE HEAD RIGHT NOW.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    my totally innocuous question

I'm safely cloistered in a midtown office high rise, so no I'm not shook.

my original remark was meant to keep the suspect comic stylings of Jonny at bay.

it was really only directed at him. my apologies if I offended. I don't live in NY so I was trying to get a feel for the situation. Have a great Friday.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    this thread is ss in a nutshell. everyone is outraged, but too lazy to really get educated on what happened, and far more concerned about hollering at the people who question their outrage, then defending their willful ignorance.

this thread is ss in a nutshell. everyone is outraged, but too lazy to really get educated on what happened, and far more concerned about hollering at the people who question their outrage, then defending their willful ignorance.

Yes, we're not educated. That's why cops kill us and get away with it. Thank you, master, for letting us in on that so obviously educated insight.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

You left out the part where some "more-righteous-than-thou personality, masquerading as the voice of reason, comes in to scold."

But...but...but...where are the FACTS?

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    If you're out there in a vehicle that says "to protect and serve" you better be damned sure you're ready to do just that.

that's a slogan of the past my dude...

Courtesy
    Professionalism
    Respect

Courtesy
    Professionalism
    Respect

You left out the part where some "more-righteous-than-thou personality, masquerading as the voice of reason, comes in to scold."

yea, good attitude professor. don't ask questions or learn facts. just jump to conclusions based on a reader's digest version of the facts.

yea, good attitude professor. don't ask questions or learn facts. just jump to conclusions based on a reader's digest version of the facts.

Again, your insistence on facts is, to me, a complete red herring.

You seem to forget: we're not a jury. People are venting frustrations at the general pattern of exonerated police shootings of unarmed people - mostly men of color. And here you come with your, "but where are the facts?" as if we're being asked to adjudicate the case. We're not.

Do you research every angle of an event or happenstance before you open your mouth to speak on it? Are you not the same person who relies on, OMG, media reports to opine about political events and controversies?

Oh, so you're too good for Reader's Digest.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

Do you research every angle of an event or happenstance before you open your mouth to speak on it? Are you not the same person who relies on, OMG, media reports to opine about political events and controversies?

Apparently not. Here's the part where he willfully admits his ignorance to the facts of the case and yet still offers his contradictory opinion of the verdict:

we weren't sitting in the judges chair with the legal elements of each crime in front of us, taking in the witness' testimony and judging their credibility.
    but given the cops' side of the story in this case, i don't believe, that their rendition of the facts warrants manslaughter/homicide verdicts.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

No ...you're pretty much in denial about what really happened.

Nobody wants to play your bullshit Devil's advocate games.

Nobody wants to hear any stupid as jokes about "unrest".

Nobody wants to hear the typical "lazy","uneducated","outraged","ignorant","hollering" condescending remarks .

quite frankly i want you to fuck off

There is abosulutely no defense for that man being killed.....NONE......and to offer any defense of this verdict indicates you are completly disconnected from the real world.......God forbid your children should ever have to walk around in fear of the people that are supposed "to protect and serve" them .....God forbid a judge should let them be murdered in vain because they weren't "credible"

Apparently not. Here's the part where he willfully admits his ignorance to the facts of the case and yet still offers his contradictory opinion of the verdict:

we weren't sitting in the judges chair with the legal elements of each crime in front of us, taking in the witness' testimony and judging their credibility.
    but given the cops' side of the story in this case, i don't believe, that their rendition of the facts warrants manslaughter/homicide verdicts.

no. i said "given the cop's side of the story in this case", i don't believe that "their rendition warrants manslaughter/homicide verdicts".

i never said i accepted their rendition of the facts. my point was that - if you believe their side of the story- then they aren't guilty of manslaughter. that isn't a very controversial statement.

the point i was trying to make is that there are many renditions of this story, and because we aren't privy to all the evidence and witness testimony, i'm not willing to stamp a guilty verdict on their heads.

thats all. im not defending the cops or the judge.

quite frankly i want you to fuck off

There is abosulutely no defense for that man being killed.....NONE......and to offer any defense of this verdict indicates you are completly disconnected from the real world.......God forbid your children should ever have to walk around in fear of the people that are supposed "to protect and serve" them .....God forbid a judge should let them be murdered in vain because they weren't "credible"

dude, get a hold of yourself. nobody here, including me, has said that bell's death was justifiable. there is a difference between being blameworthy and being guilty of manslaughter.

there's a lot of f*cked up things that go on that rightfully don't end up in conviction, because the criminal elements aren't there, or the burden of "beyond a reasonable doubt" was not met.

the issue, as far as im concerned, isn't whether the cops were wrong (that seems obvious), but whether they were guilty under the law, which to me, does not seem obvious, but to everyone else apparently does.

Why you feel it necessary to split hairs here is beyond me.

Fuck is it to you if people want to vent justifiable anger? People are talking about police injustice and you're trying to argue legal code?

Why you feel it necessary to split hairs here is beyond me.

Fuck is it to you if people want to vent justifiable anger? People are talking about police injustice and you're trying to argue legal code?

People are venting anger over a LEGAL DECISION. Its not like the events just happened last night, and i came on here talkin' about - lets forget how f*cked up this is, you all should be ashamed of yourselves for not considering whether this is technically manslaughter under the new york criminal code.

seriously, gtfohwtbs. the thread is about the LEGAL acquittal, not the events. sorry for being relevant.

"sorry for being relevant. "

To quote mylatency: LULZ

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This verdict is bullshit. It reaffirms that minority communities (and perhaps the community at large) will always get fucked over in a courtroom due to "probable cause" and "the facts" as stated by law enforcement. Cops continually do grimey shit and get away with it, unless it's drug related or on some Bad Lieutenant type shit. I for one am sick of it.

I AM SICK OF THIS SHIT.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    This verdict is bullshit. It reaffirms that minority communities (and perhaps the community at large) will always get fucked over in a courtroom due to "probable cause" and "the facts" as stated by law enforcement. This jury is either criminally stupid, or criminally pro-cop. Cops continually do grimey shit and get away with it, unless it's drug related or on some Bad Lieutenant type shit. I for one am sick of it.

I AM SICK OF THIS SHIT.

There was no jury. Decision was made by just the judge.

"I'd rather be tried by 1 than carried by 6...."

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This verdict is bullshit. It reaffirms that minority communities (and perhaps the community at large) will always get fucked over in a courtroom due to "probable cause" and "the facts" as stated by law enforcement. This jury is either criminally stupid, or criminally pro-cop. Cops continually do grimey shit and get away with it, unless it's drug related or on some Bad Lieutenant type shit. I for one am sick of it.

I AM SICK OF THIS SHIT.

There was no jury. Decision was made by just the judge.

"I'd rather be tried by 1 than carried by 6...."

I'll be damned. Still

I AM SICK OF THIS SHIT.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

So for those of you keeping score at home, pigs have to ASS RAPE YOU WITH A BROOM HANDLE[/b] in order to get any jail time.

Jury trials should be mandatory for cops.. maybe then we'd see a little justice.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    NYC's quality control is at an absolute low. Have you seen some of these fools they give badges? I think the entire department should be scrutinized for this incident and the officers involved should, at the very very least[/b], never receive another city paycheck and NEVER be issued another firearm.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    NYC's quality control is at an absolute low. Have you seen some of these fools they give badges? I think the entire department should be scrutinized for this incident and the officers involved should, at the very very least[/b], never receive another city paycheck and NEVER be issued another firearm.

Starting salary for NYC cops is somewhere in the realm of $25K. Not to be a dick (but i am), but exactly what type of person does the city think they are attracting with shit like that....

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    We've all seen, maybe have been involved in, situations like this. Roll to the club with your crew, drink a few too many brews. Get a little rowdy, maybe start jawing off at another crew, management, or the bouncers. 99.99% of the time, nothing happens and you stumble home. But I guess the equation changes if you're black and in NY.